PDA

View Full Version : lymphoma/luekemia and blood tests

j2
22-09-10, 22:10
I am currently very concerned that I have a blood cancer. Two weeks ago I had a full CBC and blood chemistry that came back fine. I do now want to google so can someone tell me whether or not these tests would have detected a blood cancer?

Thanks and God bless you all for your help.

nomorepanic
22-09-10, 22:17
They would detect abnormalities in the blood yes

Why do you think you have cancer?

debs71
22-09-10, 22:21
Hi,

A CBC (we call it an FBC here in the UK) will show high or low white cells and possibly low platelets and low hb (red cells) It will also show abnormal cells, but basically, everything will be pretty much 'off' in the whole test for something like leukaemia (blood cancer)

Try not to waste any more precious time worrying you have it. If they were all fine you don't.

I hope this reasurres you hun.xxxx

j2
22-09-10, 22:24
Thanks Nicola for the response, I kind of feel like a celebrity is talking to me. You are kind of a hero to me for this board.

I have aches and pains all over, including headache, my lower belly, lower back and my testicles ache. (Sorry for the TMI) I have no appetite and I feel nauseous. I don't know exactly why I am focused on blood cancers but I the emotional side of my mind is screaming right now that something is seriously wrong. I know my blood tests were good but I don't possess enough knowledge to know what those tests rule out and I am already terrified and I just won't google to make it worse. Any thoughts would be great.

loveletter
22-09-10, 22:38
My son had leukaemia and you most certainty have had something show up in the blood test most likely a low blood count.

nomorepanic
22-09-10, 22:42
J2 - aww that is so sweet lol

I am not sure what tests you have had done and I know they can be expensive over there but has the doctor made any suggestions as to what this could be?

Of course all of these things can be attributed to anxiety as well which is hard to accept sometimes

j2
22-09-10, 22:57
I have had a colonoscopy a year ago. The aformentioned CBC and blood chemistry a couple of weeks ago and I saw a dr last week to discuss my anxiety level but no tests were done. He listened and suggested a SSRI but I declined for now. I have fought this battle for several years but right now I am losing badly. As for more tests, I simply can't afford them. One of the things that I am struggling with is that in the past I googled way too much and now I have scraps of data in my head that are pointing me in all sorts of directions. I refuse to google anything health related so Iam left with bits of scarey data in my head and no place to get more as I simply can't afford more doctor visits. Thanks for listening.

J2

nomorepanic
22-09-10, 22:59
Ok so I would say that it was probably anxiety then as every thing else was ok.

have you read the symptoms page on the website here as it has no scarey stuff that google will give you and can explain a lot of symptoms

You may also like to read the "First Steps" website page and go back to basics with regard to diet, exercise etc.

Try not to focus too much on your body as then you will notice every little ache and pain and think the worst.

debs71
22-09-10, 23:05
I agree with Nicola on this.

Stay away from Google as there is far too much mindblowing health info there and you will be looking to match your symptoms to the worst things out there on the net. It is just anxiety fuelling.

Even if you do experience body nags and twinges, try not to read anything into it and self-diagnose.

It's tricky but IT CAN be done.

Take care.xxx

MidnightCalm
22-09-10, 23:42
I worry about leukemia and lymphoma but my blood tests were pretty good, i'm guessing a blood cancer would show something!

lecb
22-09-10, 23:54
Googling never helps! Avoid it...

I have "had" AIDS, heart disease, bowel cancer, mouth cancer, lymphoma, death eating virus and my personal favourite was CJD from Mcdonalds. OBviously i've had none of those.

I do though have a serious health condition and am in a wheelchair and that, even though it has been very serious, has never been as bad as how i felt when i was worrying i had the above! The reality is never as bad as the worry - trust me.

You don't have leukaemia or lymphoma. Doctors have a duty of care, they did a blood test which was clean, and SOMETHING would definitely have shown up if you had either. Nothing did - be encouraged. If the doctor thought there could be something wrong, even remotely they would do something else. The fact the doctor is happy to leave you means that they have no concerns about you having cancer.

You don't have cancer. You have anxiety.

I know you have declined SSRI's and that is your prerogative, but they can help.. so don't dismiss - no one deserves to suffer.

All the best,
ellie x

j2
23-09-10, 02:28
Thanks to everyone for the dose of sanity. I wish I could find the strength of will to overcome this. I just feel so weak and scared on days like today. I wish you all the best.

J2

debs71
23-09-10, 02:41
Hey J2, I for one can totally relate to the way you feel as I'm feeling the exact same way right now too. It is not a nice thing and it makes you feel that you are the only person in the world with this.

Just know that you are not alone and can always talk when you feel the need.

Best Wishes.x:)

Lissy43
23-09-10, 07:10
For sure, your blood results would be abnormal.