PDA

View Full Version : Worried about Mum ECG results

Cat80
23-09-10, 13:03
Mum was having pain on Tuesday night but wouldn't let me take her to the hospital so I made her promise to go to see the Dr the next morning as an emergency which she did. They did and ECG which showed a slight ischemia. Looking that up on the web (I know I shouldn't) means you could be heading for a heart attack. She is booked in for a treadmill test next week and has been given spray for angina. They don't know it is angina but they say they treat is as that until they know otherwise. She's been told if the pain comes back to use the spray and if the pain is still there after 15 mins call an ambulance. I am now terrified, Mum is only 52 but she lost her Dad to a heart attack in his 50's and I'm scared something will happen.

She doesn't smoke or drink but is a lot over weight, she has started a diet straight away. Her cholesterol is normal. Her blood pressure is quite high so she's been given amlopdipine for that. Just scared now that's all. Not good as I started setraline anti ds this morning so wondering if I should stop them to help Mum out?

Maj
23-09-10, 13:17
Hi Cat80,
Of course you will be worrying about your mum but the thing is that if they've found anything at all then they can treat it right away. People who have been treated for high bp, angina, etc. can live a normal life once they take their medication. It's not the end of the world! The fact her cholesterol is okay is a very positive thing. I'm the same age as your mum and have to take a statin for mine. She sounds as though she is in good hands so try not to worry too much:hugs:

Cat80
23-09-10, 17:29
Thanks so much for your reply. I guess it's just I looked it up on the internet and saw it was a sign of heart failure and a heart attack on the way as it's a lack of blood flow and oxygen to the heart. Just scared me so much.

Am hoping it's something easily treated as Mum has so much going on at the moment.

jothenurse
23-09-10, 23:43
The treadmill will help answer some questions, too. Is she having what's called a cardiolyte test ( when they inject some fluid into the vein right before she is done with the treadmill and then they do a catscan?

paula lynne
23-09-10, 23:47
Hi hun, do not stop taking your meds to look after your mum, you were prescribed them for a reason, so please take them. Im sorry about your mum, am sure she'll be ok as its all treatable. xx:hugs::hugs:

Cat80
24-09-10, 10:58
The treadmill will help answer some questions, too. Is she having what's called a cardiolyte test ( when they inject some fluid into the vein right before she is done with the treadmill and then they do a catscan?

Hiya, am not sure. All I know is she is having a treadmill test and will need to walk briskly, I don't know anything else until she goes next Tuesday or hopefully when the letter comes in this mornings post.

paula lynne, I'm only on day 2 of my meds and am worried that me starting them now is the wrong time when I need to be there for Mum. I still live at home and I need to be strong if she is going to need me and if I am starting up on meds I am worried I'll be no good to anyone because my symptoms always get worse for a while so don't want to stress Mum out when she needs to be as stress free as possible