PDA

View Full Version : OCD ruining my families holiday!

Ambers
23-09-10, 14:42
I am not sure if I have OCD...but if I do it is only slight. I wondered if I am alone with this problem..or can someone advice me on how I can change myself.

I think this comes from my estranged father and from little memory I have I believe he may have had some form of OCD but I really cant be sure.

I cannot relax when I am away from home and holidays are a nightmare for my husband. I have explained that if he leaves me alone to do my own thing, and ignore me then we will all have a good time.

Firstly, beds! I hate with a passion sleeping in sheets/blankets and usually I lay my own cover down so I can sleep on it. I sleep very tightly as such and I do not move form that position in case I touch any of the bed/bedding. My husband doesn't like the fact that he cannot cuddle me.

Eating - I cannot cook with any utensils at self-catering venues (although strangely I can eat out at restaurants as long as they look clean). This drives my husband mad - as he likes to sit down as a family and eat...I avoid eating! I hardly eat when I am on holiday and I actually am fine with this but again my hubby worries I dont eat enough.

Showers/baths - I cant use the baths but showers are ok as long as I am wearing flipflops. I will not use any towels provided and my husband must remove them from my sight.

None of my clothes must touch any material like curtains/towels/bedlinnen..I hate it if it does and it plays on my mind.

I wear flipflops and will not walk barefoot in the accomadation.

So as you can see it is not a relaxing enviroment for my hubby - but I am used to this and it is ok if I am left alone with it.

I watched mothers and children walking into toilets bared footed at the swimming baths - this turns my tummy...but I wished I caould also be this relaxed.

Help, what can I do to change my life around.

vicky23
23-09-10, 19:45
hi, I'm not a Dr but I do have OCD and altho I can't offer a diagnosis it certainly sounds like you have OCD.
I think the reason why there's been so many views of this but no replies is that it's really quite a tricky situation and it's hard to advise. The reason being that OCD is usually diagnosed because it gets to the stage where it is affecting your life and while treatment isn't easy it's something that needs to be addressed so the person goes to the GP, then if they think necessary they'll refer you for treatment.
So I guess it's up to you to decide whether this problem is affecting your life so much that you decide to get help to overcome the OCD to a more manageable level.
Maybe it's worth sitting down with your husband and talking through what would be the best option for you
Others may disagree but I personally think OCD is very difficult to treat with self help methods.
so this is entirely a personal decision which you need to make with the support of your family but you're definitley not on your own here in terms of the things you describe not feeling comfortable away and not wanting to touch the bed etc these are very typical things that people with anxiety disorders (specifically ocd) go through
best wishes I hope you get to enjoy a family holiday fully

Ambers
24-09-10, 15:47
Thank you for responding Vicky. I suppose because of the Panic / anxiety I have - that anything I can do to improve my life/my families life then I willing try. If I were living alone - then no the OCD doesn't effect me as I am happy to live with it... I think I have it only very mildly. Thanks again :)

vicky23
24-09-10, 16:17
it might be worth going to your Doc and asking about getting some cognitive behavioural therapy if it's mild it's should be pretty easy to conquer. They'll basically just ask you to expose yourself to your fears that might be putting your clothes against a hotel towel and leaving it there for a certain amount of time and riding out the anxiety. Anxiety will hit a certain point then level off and start to drop and you'll learn that nothing bad will happen if you let your clothes touch a towel so you can then go on to doing something else. You always start with the easiest/smallest thing first but it is a difficult thing to do but it's worth it I think.
Only problem is that CBT waiting lists tend to be long :(

Ambers
24-09-10, 18:21
Vicky - I am having CBT for my panic attacks - will speak to my counsellor when I see him next week. Thanks x