PDA

View Full Version : The first real one for ages.

stimpy
02-03-04, 09:36
I have phases of anxiety, things like over antisipation and nervous tummy, but yesterday was my first real panic for ages.:(

My starworker tells me it is only natural as it is still early days in my recovery, and it is nothing to worry about - thank goodness.

I got the kids ready for school as usual, and then remembered I hadn't phoned the ring and ride bus service to take me to the Day Centre. (A nice place that does flower aranging and other things to keep me busy while Steve is at work.) So I would have to phone a taxi to take me instead, as I am still scared of walking to the bus stop and public transport.

I thought about it, and it worried me a bit, but I had a bath and got dressed as I would normally do. But the feelings didn't get any better.
I put on a video, did some word puzzles to try and get my brain to think about somethingelse.
But I was aware of the time, and I knew class started at 11 and it was 10.15, and I really should be getting ready to go.
But I felt so ill, and I had to calm down but that would mean I would be late for my class.

I sent Steve several messages to tell him how I was feeling, so at least my phone bleeping would be some sort of comfort in knowing I wasn't alone.

I just kept thinking, I can face this, I feel so ashamed of myself.
Avoidance is not the answer, what if I get a driver I don't know?
What if I get a driver I do know and have to explain where I've been hiding for the last 6 months? I've got to leave the centre at 2.30 to be back for the children, but I need to visit the doctors for more meds, get something to eat for lunch, I need a wedding aniversary pressie for Steve. What if I freakout while I am there or in the taxi? I feel so worthless and useless. Why can't I be normal?
I can't do this. It's nearly 10.30 and I am going to miss my class.
I'm going to have to go around the round about with the really busy traffic and I don't like this. Avoidance is not the answer...

So I tried to calm down. Used my rescue remedy, took deep breaths, did another word puzzle, messaged Steve and all the while the time is ticking away. I read my list of advice on the wall by the phone, reminding me what to do if I got into trouble.

I tried to stop it, like I've done so many times before with great success, but I couldn't. So I started losing control.
Realizing I couldn't do this by myself, and yelling for help wasn't going to do any good as I was home alone. I took some valium, more deep breaths and put on another video. I felt so very tired.
I went back to my friend the sofa, cuddled my huge care bear watched the video and waited for the valium to kick in.

3 chorus' of "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" and "Your cheating heart"
Looking at the clock and thinking, 11.28, ah nuts! I must book bus for Thursday...
I fell fast asleep for nearly 2 hours.

Mary arrived, rang the bell and woke me up and we went to get the kids, then I went shopping, washed the dishes and helped cook the tea.

So, what started badly, ended a little bit better and I was able to get things done, admittedly I was shaking and de-personalized.
But I lived to fight Mr Panic another day.[8D]

Sorry for the long rant [:I]

Did I do the right things, do you think ?

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Eccentric

Laurie28
02-03-04, 09:51
Liz,

I think you done fine, sometimes we have setbacks but we can't beat ourselves up about.

You said yourself it is the 1st real one in ages and that is such an achievement. You have come so far and treat these episodes like the little blips they are. Expect them again but each time you will cope better. You were thinking all the right things and doing all the right things you are doing great

take care
Lucky

kate
02-03-04, 11:11
Hiya Liz,

You are doing JUST FINE!!!!!!

Think back over what you have achieved in the last few months!!

You have just had a slight panic hiccup. Forget it, it happens to us all.

Just carry on doing what you have been doing, you are doing GREAT!!!

Keep smiling

Kate x

Meg
02-03-04, 18:45
Liz - That was brilliant !!!

1. You stayed home alone- depite feeling awful. You wouldn't have done that a few short weeks ago.

2. You distracted yourself so well - wish I could have heard the singing !

3. You took steps to help oyurself cope - rescue remedy, read your advice sheet, took a valium, calmed down enough on your sofa for it to do its stuff .

Noone could ask any more of you, never mind having a star worker , I think you were a star .

Would you agree that you took the spiral downwards towards severe anxiety when you couldn't stop your 'what ifs' and destructive scary thoughts about your safety outside which was fuelled by imposing 'shame' and thoughts of 'worthless and useless' on yourself.....These are self imposed, unfounded beliefs ..... Without all of those components together you would have been fine and sorted yourself out earlier without heading towards panic.
Your CBT person will work on this with you and maybe make yourself another fridge sheet with some positive personal affirmations based on recent successes - of which there are so many now !!

I think your ending massive success was getting up afterwards, dusting yourself off and carrying on as normal -including going out shopping.

Many congratulations - Liz. You did great.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
02-03-04, 19:30
Hiya Liz,

You did grand!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D. You absolutely did all the right things.

Congratulations dear, you survived yet another attack and still came out on top. You did`nt let it ruin your whole day.

You got right back up, put the attack behind you and went on with your day.

"You`ve Come A Long Way Baby"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep up the great work :). That experience belongs in the success stories page.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

nomorepanic
02-03-04, 20:07
Liz

I really felt for you when I read that as I bet a load of us did cos we have all been there.

You survived it yes? You did well ok and don't worry about missing the trip out. Sometimes we just need to let things take their course. We can't be super-human all the time and what I want you do is remember how bad things were months ago - hey check back through the posts here and you will see.

So well done you for getting better later in the day.

You can do it next time and you will be fine ok?

Best wishes

x

Nicola