PDA

View Full Version : my doctor used the word tumor

j2
24-09-10, 16:15
I am 39 and have HA. I have been having recurring pain in testicle and nausea. I went to a urologist today and he ordered a sonogram to look for tumor. I told him about my anxiety and told me that he didn't feel anything but just wanted to be sure. All I heard was tumor and the sonogram isn't until Monday. My anxiety is sky high and I can't think about anything but death and suffering. What will happen to my kids? Will my wife still love me if I am sick? Feel like rushing to the ER. Sorry to ramble.

Vixxy
24-09-10, 16:19
Well I think youve got the answer to your fears in that post. You say he told you he didnt feel anything. So the liklihood of a tumour being there is so tiiiiny its not even worth considering. Hes booked you in to try and prove to you that there is nothing for you to worry about in the hope that itll calm your HA.

debs71
24-09-10, 16:23
I agree with Vixxy.

It is a huge positive that he felt nothing. Doctors are skilled at testicular checks. It sounds like he is simply covering all bases as a good doctor does,also to ease your worry.

Try to avoid diagnosing yourself and looking way ahead at what if's. Take it as it comes each day and look to Monday only.

It'll be fine.x

Vixxy
24-09-10, 16:26
Unless your testicles are the size of a football, I dont think theres many places for a tumour to hide. So you'd be able to feel it if it were there :)
I hope you dont have them as big as footballs! :p

j2
24-09-10, 16:44
He brought up the sonogram before I mentioned my anxiety and then he tried to reassure me. I asked him what else could be causing this pain and he said it could be a few other things but he wasn't sure. I am at work and not able to concentrate. I am really flipping out right now.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 16:57
You focus on the one word that scares you most as it feeds the HA, I understand and empathise. They do the tests to rule eliminate your fear, you just focus on the negative as you're already scared. The answer was that they cannot feel anything and want to rule out your fear. The wait until Monday will be difficult but you will get thorough and I'm sure you'll be reassured.
Please try to stay away from "Search Engine Doctor" and try not to worry, it's easier said than done I know but keep distracted.

j2
24-09-10, 17:04
I need to calm down. This is unbearable and i am not going to make it until Monday. Does anyone have any tricks to relax?

Hazel B
24-09-10, 17:10
You need to try to burn off/stop the adrenalin: go for a walk/run, punch some cushions, breathe deeply from your stomach, listen to calming music. I have meds to calm my heart but am learning the natural ways. I do understand, please try to stop the worry in your mind, you know it's anxiety.
If you're at work, could that be a distraction for you?

What would you say to a close friend if they told you that they felt this way? Take care.

j2
24-09-10, 17:16
Work is not distracting me now. I am feeling every pain in my body now and I am sure that I have a tumor and it has spread to everywhere. Everything feels surreal right now. I feel ill and like I am going to explode from this. I just keep thinking about my kids and it doesn't help that I saw a story in the news this morning about a dad who died and left behind small kids. I feel like I am going to burst into tears here at my desk.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 17:19
Your mind is in overdrive, looking to validate all your negative thoughts. You may have missed all the happy stories in the paper to focus on the one thing that links your anxiety.
I don't know what else to say to help, other than see your doctor and ask for help with anxiety. I do know how it feels but you will get through.

j2
24-09-10, 17:27
Thanks Hazel. I don't know what i am going to do.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 17:37
You will get through, I know just how it feels, one worry after another. Have you spoken to your doctor about the health anxiety?

Nigel
24-09-10, 17:46
Hi j2,

Try and calm down and think about this logically for a minute because it seems like you’re allowing your mind to run riot at the moment :scared10:

For a start, do you think it’s possible for this to ‘spread to everywhere’ in just a few short hours? I think that would be highly unlikely, therefore it seems like your mind might be playing tricks on you, do you think?

And worst case scenario – which this isn’t, but if it was – nothing will actually get any worse before Monday. That said, I’d probably be climbing the walls with worry too, but nothing will get any worse. Perhaps somebody else can confirm because I know very little about medical stuff – it scares me! – but I seem to recall a bit about this on one of those daytime TV programmes years ago, and it’s a condition that’s very treatable nowadays. So even if the worst should happen, nobody is about to die and your kids are still gonna have their dad.

But that said, I think all this will be irrelevant because you didn’t find anything and your doctor didn’t find anything, and I’m sure one of you would’ve noticed. He probably just wants to reassure you, and probably see if there’s any cause for the pain you mentioned – and even some of that could be imagined if it’s something you’ve been doing a lot of worrying about.

Take care... and stop mis-using your imagination :winks:

Nigel

j2
24-09-10, 17:58
I had blood work done a couple of weeks ago as part of a regular physical. I know they were not looking for cancer markers but none of the regular tests came back bad. As for my imagination, it is running amok. I am thinking that maybe there has been pain longer than I first thought. I can't get this out of my head. Of all my other health fears, I have never had a dr tell me that they are even looking for cancer. This so scarey and I just know I won't be sleeping until I get results and if they are bad I may just lose my mind.

Thanks to everyone who is listening to a guy that feels so weak and at one of the lowest points of his life right now.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 18:05
It will pass in time.

Think of all the other illnesses you have worried about - did they happen? No! And this one is another new way for your mind to trick you!

They are looking to RULE OUT your fear, that's what doctors do, they don't assume the worst like we do, as they know how rare these things are.

LiquidSky
24-09-10, 18:26
hi, something to remember is, that doctors and consultants speak in medical speak sometimes and don't always think about what the effect a word like that would do to an HA sufferer, I've had a similar experience, I had pains in my chest and breathlessness on exertion, and my GP said, you're probably unfit or it could be mild angina, but very doubtful as all my tests were fine etc, and I anchored on the "angina" word, he then spent the next 10 minutes trying to reassure me that it is extremely unlikely etc, but HA is a right little gremlin for things like that.

j2
24-09-10, 19:01
Thank you for listening. I am needing to leave work now. I promise to post my results as soon as I get them.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 19:03
Let us know how you get on, I am sure you will be fine.

j2
24-09-10, 20:31
I just found out that my appt has been moved back a day. I don't want to wait. I am going mad.

j2
24-09-10, 20:32
Does anyone know how frequently testicular cancer presents itself without a noticable lump?

Vixxy
24-09-10, 20:44
J2, you need to learn to wait. Youre going to make yourself feel like crap if you keep at this state of anxiety over the weekend.
I can totally understand why you are worried, but worrying will not make it better. It wont change whats coming.
Try to give yourself worry time. Once a day preferably before 6pm, give yourself 20 minutes to really worry about whats upseting you and if you catch yourself worrying before youre alloted time then tell yourself you arent to worry until later.

MrBlue
24-09-10, 20:46
Hi there :)
Try not to worry, the fact he felt nothing is the key factor nothing is wrong. Testicular cancer is uncommon at your age and affects ages 15-35 more.

Another plus side is that TC is the most cureable cancer with the highest survival rate.

I get pains downstairs too and my doctor thinks it's because I wear underwear too tight! Something as simple as that!

j2
24-09-10, 20:51
Vixxy and Mr Blue I wish I had your confidence and patience. Sorry if I am whining on and on. I just have no where else to turn. My wife tries but I can sense her frustration with me. I will try to relax but Tuesday is a long time from now.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 20:57
I understand, I've had: blood tests, ultrasound, XRays, CT scan and MRI in the past few months after having tummy pain. I've been diagnosed with a gallstone, it hurts but it won't kill me, I was thinking the worst and started an anxiety cycle that I could not stop without beta-blockers. I had all the horrid thoughts you have now, please rest assured that they are RULING out your worst fear.

I'm off to bed soon, please try to distract yourself if you can.