PDA

View Full Version : Weight

MidnightCalm
24-09-10, 16:25
I'm a 21 year old male and at 6ft3/4 have only weighed 11st for the past 5 years, is this bad? How can I put on weight? I only eat 3 smallish meals a day but they can be quite fatty.

vicky23
24-09-10, 17:50
This makes your BMI around 19 which is healthy. If you feel like you're too skinny then you'd probably be best doing some weight training which would increase your muscle mass and weight of course you'd have to take in extra calories to make up for what you'd be burning off because of the exercise especially carbs and protein.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 17:56
I agree, it does seem a healthy weight to me, male models can be that tall and weigh the same, the fashion changes so I can't keep up. What matters is you being happy with what you have and liking yourself and your body.
What has made you worry about your weight?

Nigel
24-09-10, 17:56
Hi MidnightCalm,

I wasn’t sure whether you meant 6ft 3-4in or 6ft ¾in, but either way I think it’s about normal. The thing to go on is BMI (Body Mass Index), and it gives an indication of a ‘healthy’ weight because it takes a person’s height into account too. There are loads of online calculators you can use to check.

A lot of males do seem to stay quite thin when they’re younger, especially if they’re quite active and burn off a lot of the calories they consume. Try not to worry about it too much because in 20 years time you’ll be asking how to lose weight :winks:

Take care,
Nigel

Dahlia
24-09-10, 17:58
When I wanted to put on weight years ago, a dietician told me to drink meal supplement shakes - Nestle Build Up. They come as powder and you add milk to them for the milk shake varieties - or water for the soup varieties. I think you can still get them in Boots. I had them as well as my usual meals each day.

MidnightCalm
24-09-10, 18:09
I meant 6ft 3 or 4 heh, i'll try looking for those shakes, it's like regardless of whether I unde eat or over eat my weight just will not budge.
I've always been conscious, got horrible nobbly knees and stuff haha.

MidnightCalm
24-09-10, 18:11
& I'm worried because I can't see how it's normal to not put on weight x

Nigel
24-09-10, 18:23
“it's like regardless of whether I under eat or over eat my weight just will not budge.”

As I said, in 20 years time when all your mates are being ordered by their doctors to lose weight for health reasons, you’ll be thankful for that :winks:

I’m like you – unless I seriously overeat I never seem to put on any weight. And like you, I always seem to remain in the lower half of the ‘normal’ range.

I had a friend who suffered with anorexia – which is how I learnt about BMI. At one time she was admitted to an eating disorder unit and I visited a few times. During one visit I got chatting to one of the other girls there, and after I left she asked my friend if I too had an eating disorder :ohmy:

Dunno why... some of us are just like that :shrug:

Nigel

PanchoGoz
24-09-10, 19:03
Yeah, no need to worry if you feel fine and don't have any health problems. And if you have been like that for 21 years then there should be no need to go to any extreme diets or anything. I'm a skinny one too and food won't make a difference, so that can only be good.

Hazel B
24-09-10, 19:12
I'm still wondering why you think you have to put on weight? Don't let media images make you think you have to be any different to your natural self. Has anyone said anything to you?
There's nothing wrong with being slim as long as you're healthy and happy.

MidnightCalm
24-09-10, 20:59
That's my problem aswel, I don't feel healthy or happy, I always have horrible symptoms which the doctor said was anxiety after a few tests, I'm on Sertraline, I've got some nasty cold/throat thing atm that keeps fading and coming back, I'm automatically thinking I'm slim because there's something wrong but I've always been this way.
People do say things like "you need to eat more" or "are you eating" which I find as bad as somebody telling somebody who wants to lose weight that they look like they eat too much, I personally don't think I look THAT skinny, I'm not bones I'm just really slim.

MidnightCalm
24-09-10, 21:02
I've had nearly everything on the symptoms page and at the moment I'm getting this horrible thing where I feel like I'm not a part of my body, it's like my arms aren't mine and that if I try to move I wont be able to but I can, my head gets all full of air or empty I can't understand it and I wake up a lot through the night just feeling weird and like I'll stop working :/

Hazel B
24-09-10, 21:04
People can think and say what they want, try not to let it bother you. Your immune system is probably just a bit down with anxiety.
There are SO many people who would be jealous of you, as Nigel said earlier, there are men 20 years older desperately trying to lose weight.
Anxiety does rob us of peace of mind but I am sure that you look fine and don't need to put on weight to solve all the problems.
It takes time to feel ourselves again, just make sure you eat well and look after yourself. Take care.

MidnightCalm
24-09-10, 21:07
Thank you :hugs::hugs: