PDA

View Full Version : Forced to SOLO SING!

Fly away Katie
24-09-10, 19:49
Ok guys, I really need some help and advice.

I've just completed a 2 year course in Performing Arts.. and managed to get Triple Distinctions.. (I didnt sing the whole 2 years) BUT my dancing and acting made the grades up :)

And now Im taking a 2 year HND course in Performing Arts (Uni Level)

And next week, I HAVE to come in and sing a SOLO song infrount of my group. And heres the thing, Im absolutley petrified of solo singing.

I CAN sing, my boyfriend thinks Im quite good :) And I really love singing... but only in the comfort of my own home.

But I have a phobia of singing infrount of anyone. But I either do it, or Im off the course. And its cost me £2300 to get on it! :shrug:

x x x x x x x x :( I dont know what to do x x x x x

Hazel B
24-09-10, 19:54
Firstly, well done on these achievements, great results.

Would it help to think of all of us on the forum with you singing along with you for support? Standing next to you, belting it out?

paula lynne
24-09-10, 19:56
Wow Kate-distinction!! :D if you can dance and act in front of people, and achieve a triple, singing should be just another notch in your belt hun! ..yes its going to be scary...but...no one says youve got to be the best...they just expect you to be kate. Maybe a song that is particularly close to your heart would be easier to sing? let yourself go...you might even enjoy it! Just stay away from simon cowell! xxxxx:winks:

sarah_85
24-09-10, 22:54
my advice is, the more you worry about something, the worse it seems and in my experience it is NEVER as bad a you imagine it will be. you have achieved so much already, tell yourself and incredibly talented you are and how much you deserve all the results you've achieved. practice practice practice, it makes perfect :) that's how i prepare for exams cause i HATE exams, just make sure you are ready and im sure you'll do great. have confidence, and tell yourself I CAN DO THIS. you can beat the anxiety and you will feel amazing afterwards :) xxx

Nigel
24-09-10, 23:41
Hi Katie,

Triple Distinctions... WOW!!! Well done... :yahoo: :notworthy:

Singing in front of a group – no way could I do that. But then I can’t sing, plus I couldn’t even sing at home in front of my family :sofa:

But you can sing in front of certain people Katie, and you can perform in front of a group of other people. So you already have all the resources you need and it’s just a question of putting all the pieces together.

So what would happen if instead of performing to the other members of your group, you imagine them all to be other members of your family, and your boyfriend?

Or what about if it were only one or two people in the audience? That might be easier. So another trick is not to see the whole audience but to pick out one single person and sing to them. Perhaps not the entire song though cos that might freak them out a bit, but maybe sing a few lines to them then look at somebody else and sing a few lines to that person. It’s a great way of really connecting with your audience.

I’m not just saying this for the sake of encouragement and I don’t really know why it is, but for some reason I really do believe you can do this, and do it well :yesyes:

Bestest luck :)
Nigel

Vixxy
25-09-10, 10:09
The anticipation is ALWAYS worse than the actual event. You know what? When you get up there and belt out that first note you are going to get a massive high. Youll feel on top of the world when youre done because you did something you thought you couldnt do.
You can do this!!! We'll all be there in spirit cheering you on.
Just remember the feel good feeling youll get when its done :yesyes:
Also well done for getting into uni!

lollybob
25-09-10, 10:44
Hi

What i would recommend is to choose a song that you can immerse yourself in. I am terrible at auditions ... i get so nervous- and that is before my depression and anxiety kicked fully in. I chose "tell me on a Sunday" or "send in the clowns". As they are truly emotional songs, you can forget all the people around you!

For the phobia, just make sure you put in your strategic help notes before you go in... like i drink decaff coffee and have a mint or something to calm me down.. to take my mind off things.

Hope this helps and congrats on the grading!!!