PDA

View Full Version : Headaches

jothenurse
25-09-10, 20:49
Does anyone have any trouble with headaches? My started a few days ago - over the forehead, then moved to the back of my head, and now for the last couple of days it's at my temples. I've always taken Tylenol in the past and it's always helped. I've taken two extra strength Tylenol and it only takes the edge off. Feels like pressure. Is this a tension headache and if so, how do you get rid of them?

Hazel B
25-09-10, 20:56
Hi, I get headaches a lot since my anxiety started, I also sit all hunched up at the desk so that probably doesn't help!

I try to drink more water and take the odd paracetamol, but I'm on Propranolol and think they may contribute.

One of my friends buys that "4Head" stuff you rub into your forehead, she has tension headaches and says it really helps. Our GPs would tell us to relax, easier said that done!

baileys
25-09-10, 21:06
I get bad headaches anywhere in my head that can last a week. There isnt anything that get rid of mine but i take anadin extra which i find are best for me to take the edge off of it.
I suppose when my anxiety is high they tend to happen, sometimes a soak in the tub helps a bit.

Kerry B
25-09-10, 21:28
hi i had headrushes really bad when i was on propanolol (betablocker) i couldnt even wash my hair the head rushes was so servere which was down to the medication causing me low pressure and when i stopped the medication they went. could it be a side effect to your medication which gives you low blood presure.

jothenurse
25-09-10, 21:55
I'm just on a small dose of ativan. That has never caused me headaches, so I'm thinking with my anxiety I just have a tension headache that's hard to get rid of.

paula lynne
25-09-10, 22:37
Hi Jo, I find lying on a hot water bottle brilliant, opens up blood vessels, aids oxygen flow..you know x

jothenurse
27-09-10, 11:51
Just looking for some more reassurance that this headache is just a tension headache from my anxiety. I have tried the Extra Strenth acetaminophen and then tried a couple of Advil. They take the edge off, but it doesn't take it away or it comes back. I have to admit that when I am busy at times I don't notice it, but then all of a sudden I feel the headache again. Sometimes it is in my temple area, sometimes my forehead, and occassionally I feel the muscle tension in my neck. I do wonder if I am clenching my teeth because I think my jaw hurts at times. I am just worried. I have had this a long time ago and it always went away. I guess because of my panic disorder it scares me now, especially now that I've had it for a week.

joannap
27-09-10, 11:56
i had a tension headache very day for 3 years lol - it was only when i accepted it as tension that it started to recede but yes - what you are describing is exactly what i had x

paula lynne
27-09-10, 12:00
Hi again, I wonder if its worth having your eyes tested? x

jothenurse
27-09-10, 12:14
I did have my eyes tested a couple of months ago. Just a regular check, not because of my headache. They changed my glasses (I am a contact lens wearer and 56 years old and I feel that my eyes are just getting too dry to wear them). The prescription for the glasses were wrong, so I took them back and they replaced them, but they still are wrong. I have just been using my contact lens, so I am going to call for another appointment. My mother passed away a few weeks ago and I am wondering, along with my panic disorder, if things have just kind of built up in me. I just worry now that there is something else wrong now (must be my health anxiety) because of the headaches. I work full time and need to be at work today, but feel panicky (more than usual) because of having the headache. I may call my Nurse Practitioner today to see if she has some ideas and also for reassurance. I'm sure she will say it's just my nerves and the added stress with my mother passing away. But I am scared about them and it will be hard to go to work with this pain.

paula lynne
27-09-10, 13:33
Im sorry for your loss jo. Grief can affect us in so many ways, and manifests in physical symptoms, as Im sure you know x I wonder if changing to a different type of painkiller would help? Sometimes, we get used to a certain type, and then its not as effective. Well done going to work feeling like you do though. x

jothenurse
27-09-10, 18:42
I'm at work, but it is hard with the headache. I keep trying to tell myself this is just a tension headache, and not to be panicky. I have a call into the Nurse Practitioner to see what she recommends taking for it. I think part of the problem is that I haven't consistently taken anything for it, like today I haven't yet except my usual small amount of Ativan.
Just am getting scared it may be something else, but trying to keep myself calm.

Hazel B
27-09-10, 18:58
I'm sure it's tension, I get a headache every day at the moment, worse since I started counselling and lots of pent-up grief started to come out.

jothenurse
27-09-10, 19:19
Thank you for your replies. It just makes my anxiety worse because it's hard to relax when you have the headache. I just have to keep telling myself it's tension and it will eventually go away and not to panic.

Hazel B
27-09-10, 19:23
I'm sure that's a great coping technique, I keep telling myself: "it will pass". I'm trying not to take too many painkillers as well, I have a gallstone and need strong ones for that but they don't touch the pain really.
I also used to have a lot of headaches when my glasses were too heavy, they were plastic and a right weight. I was tense because of it, so it must be tension and anxiety related, I'm sure there's nothing else wrong. Some people carry tension in their tummies, we must have it in the scalp!

jothenurse
27-09-10, 22:45
I think it is just weird that after having this anxiety for over 10 months that now I would get the tension headache. I guess that's why I'm a little scared about making sure that's all it is.

Hazel B
28-09-10, 11:25
Get it checked out and then that should put your mind at ease. x

jothenurse
29-09-10, 00:35
Had an eye appointment today to have my glasses checked - I also told him about my headaches. He said my eyes and optic nerve look fine so it wasn't from my eyes. Called the NP, she feels it is a tension headache and ordered Midrin for me. Has anyone ever used this? I had it about 20 years ago. There are some side effects like sedation, lightheadedness, but I do remember it took the headache away.