PDA

View Full Version : Panicking right now!!!

Spencer
26-09-10, 05:01
Hi. I'm currently stood in East Midlands Airport panicking like crazy!! Waiting to check in, I feel like I'm going to lose it!!! I've never been afraid of flying and know I'm not now, I'm just absolutely full of dread and don't know what to do! This is really really awful and I could cry :( help!!

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 05:05
Remember that although your feelings and symptoms are very frightening they are not dangerous or harmful.
Understand that what you are experiencing is just an exaggeration of your normal bodily reactions to stress.
Do not fight the feelings or try to wish them away. The more you are willing to face them, the less intense they will become.
Do not add to your panic by thinking about what "might" happen. If you find yourself asking "what if?" tell yourself "so what!".
Stay in the present. Notice what is really happening to you as opposed to what you think might happen.
Label your fear level from zero to ten and watch it go up and down. Notice that it does not stay at a very high level for more than a few seconds.
When you find yourself thinking about the fear, change your "what if" thinking. Focus on and carry out a simple and manageable task such as counting backward from 100 by 3's or snapping arubber band on your wrist.
Notice that when you stop adding frightening thoughts to your fear, it begins to fade.
When the fear comes, expect and accept it. Wait and give it time to pass without running away from it.
Be proud of yourself for your progress thus far, and think about how good you will feel when you succeed this time

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 05:07
also if you can try going into the chat room x

Spencer
26-09-10, 05:09
Thank you. This is very reasonable and practical information and advice. It's just so difficult to follow when all you want to do is run! It's even more stressful when I can't pin down what I'm fearing and panicking over :(

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 05:17
sometimes you will panic for no reason due to stress,
I know it's scary when you do not know why you are afraid.
just know that anxiety makes you feel like something bad is about to happen.
It's the flight or fight response.
you will be ok x
Try walking around if you can.
drink water.
distraction is very good, I find tearing up paper into tiny pieces and only fousing on that helps.
I've also experinced panic on a plane but once up in the air I relax and just go with the flow.

Spencer
26-09-10, 05:25
Think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and see my GP when I get back from holiday. X

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 05:30
hope you have fun on your holiday :-) where are you going?

yeah he might suggest some form of therapy like CBT , maybe antidepressants or sedatives for the odd panic attack.

Spencer
26-09-10, 05:32
Off to Gran Canaria for 10 days. Surprised we're going after baggage handling strike, accommodation problems etc lol x

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 05:35
aw maybe the little things did stress you out .
how are you feeling now?

Gran Canaria, I was there a few years ago for about 7 days.
hopefully the sand and sun will help relax you.

Spencer
26-09-10, 05:37
A lot calmer tbh thank you. It's the talking that helps :0) x

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 05:39
yeah me too, talking really helps distract me :-)

jackie13
26-09-10, 06:15
Hi there

I do sympathise with you I am EXACTLY the same when I hit check in at the airport. You will be fine, I think sometimes it doesn't help when we have to fly early in a morning:( Do you feel ok now? xx

Spencer
26-09-10, 06:28
I'm not too bad hun, just worrying it's going to happen again etc. I've flown loads of times and never ever been bothered before. The whole anxiety/panic thing is new to me. It's just great and reassuring to hear from other people :0) x

LiquidSky
26-09-10, 10:17
Hi Spencer, hope the flight went well, I know exactly how you feel, and the biggest problem with anxiety/panic, is we have the ability to bring them on just thinking that we will have one. If you get those sudden feelings or thoughts that it's going to happen, I find just letting it flow through me, letting the sensations hit and do their worst and concentrating on the fact it will pass, always does and always will do, actually helps it to disappear quicker. Trying to fight against it, makes us tense up, panic more and develop increasing magnification of the sensations, which makes us more tense and so on, creating a vicious circle. Distraction is great and you've already been given some sound advice on techniques that you can use by previous posters. Hang in there, the feelings pass, they always do.

Spencer
26-09-10, 17:39
Thank you to everyone for your advice. Really need to see my GP as soon as I get back to the UK!!! I survived the flight surprise, surprise!! The feeling of dread and fear is still here though. I'm supposed to be going out tonight and will be drinking but not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'm so on edge and the entire day so far has gone by in a complete blur as though I've just followed along with the world, trying to say the right thing at the right time so to not make anyone else on the holiday worry about me.

Spencer
26-09-10, 17:51
P.S. I don't mean getting drunk. Just one or two as I've got the willpower to not have anymore. X

tambo12
06-10-10, 13:57
there are many ways to beat this condision .
I have had panic attacks and anxiety for 12 years .
I tried everything but it came down to me standing up to myself in the end .
You have to belive that you are stronger than the attacks .
I know they are scary and I know that you fell like your dying , but your not and they do pass.
Try to let it pass over you like a wave , the attack will happen but the more you fight it the worse it my feel .breath deep and try to let it pass .
this may help you as well http//tinyurl.com/2w5ngap