PDA

View Full Version : Should I up medication to 20mg?

shaz14
26-09-10, 11:05
Hi
I've been suffering with GAD, Depression, Health Anxiety and every phobia going for years but has got really bad since the birth of my son, 11 months ago.

After hitting rock bottom and battling on for months, I finally gave in and took the Citalopram. Dr prescribed 20mg but I was so scared to feel any worse that I have only been taking 10mg. I've been on them for 11 days now and have gradually been feeling worse as the days go by. I know side effects can make the anxiety worse but I am also having panic attacks now which was the only thing I wasn't having before the meds! Also my agoraphobia, other phobias and general anxiety have got worse. Am also experiencing tingling lips, restless legs, constant dizziness and waves of panic that just keep coming at me and slapping me in the face to name but a few!!!

I haven't got any energy left to fight this and am so scared to increase to 20mg for fear of feeling worse. Or do you think it could actually stop all this??? I really don't. I feel like I am hanging on the edge of a cliff by my fingertips.

Don't know what to do or where to turn. Feel like I am running out of time before I give up or my family gives up on me.

angels22165
26-09-10, 11:49
Hi Shaz, I would contact your doctor in the morning and ask if you can go upto 20mg, Im on 20 and feeling a huge difference, Citalopram do take a long time to work and I also suffered with side effects in the beginning just hang on there and you will start to feel better. :)

suzy-sue
26-09-10, 11:59
Considering how bad your side effects are making you feel .You will be better to wait for the 10mg to settle before you up your dose .This takes abt 2-3 weeks .If you increase now it will make them worse .2omg will make you feel better once thay have got into your system ,again this will take a while .The side effects wont be so bad as the begining tho .With these type of drugs you nearly always feel worse before you feel better ,But stick with it and it will be worth it .All the best Sue x:hugs:

shaz14
26-09-10, 12:30
Thank you for your advice. The doctor says to take 20mg as soon as possible. He said 10mg isn't helping me at all. I know everyone says to give them time but every day feels like a month!

suzy-sue
26-09-10, 14:08
He just wants you to be on the effective dose as soon as possible .10mg doesnt do much I agree but 20mg will have more effect .If you find things unbearable waiting ,its worth getting it all over and done with ,depends how bad you feel at the moment .10mg more will give you more side effects .Good luck with whatever you decide to do .Sue x

shaz14
25-11-10, 11:33
After 8 weeks on 10mg, I have now upped the dose to 20mg which I have been taking for 5 days now. Still feeling all the same side effects...rushes of panic constantly, teeth clenching/grinding, restlessness. Should these have passed by now? Any advice would be good as I'm trying to struggle on but don't know if they are ever going to agree with me.

The reason it has taken me so long to increase is because these problems have not gone away or eased at all but doctor just says take more of them!!

suzy-sue
25-11-10, 11:39
Your Dr is right ..But it does take 4-6 weeks for each dose to kick in .The side effects will go but you just have to be patient .You will get there in the end im sure ,Keep busy and distracted in the meantime .It is well worth sticking with it .Take care luv Sue x:hugs:

shaz14
25-11-10, 11:52
Your Dr is right ..But it does take 4-6 weeks for each dose to kick in .The side effects will go but you just have to be patient .You will get there in the end im sure ,Keep busy and distracted in the meantime .It is well worth sticking with it .Take care luv Sue x:hugs:

Thanks Sue
Was hoping you would give me some re-assurance. I know I should have increased the dose sooner but I was waiting for these feelings to pass as most people say about 2 weeks. But after 8 weeks and they are still there?? Anyway will persevere on new dose then for a few more weeks.

shaz14
25-11-10, 11:55
Hi
i found that when you up a dose you will have side effects till about the 10th day
If you find it too difficult you could always do 15mg one day and 20 the next for a week
have you got any diaz or propranolo to get you through

I don't take any other meds. These ones are giving me enough problems!! Trouble is the side effects have never gone away so was wondering if they are not right for me. I've read so many times on here that people have given up on these meds after a few days for feeling like this and here i am on week 9 still struggling!

suzy-sue
25-11-10, 12:02
10mg is just a starting dose .20mg is the starting dose usually perscribed to treat Mild /moderate depression .Anxiety sometimes takes a higher dose depending on how severe it is .Your side effects will start to lessen soon as the drug is already in your system .You did the right thing to wait ,but it takes longer doing it that way .You will find you get good periods and these will increase in time .Once you are on your theraputic dose you will feel good all the time, once its had time to get into your system .All the best Shaz luv Sue x:hugs: