PDA

View Full Version : Is this depersonalization/derealization??

debs71
26-09-10, 12:30
Hi Everybody,

I've been having probs with my anxiety and panic again for about a month now, restarting Cipralex 3 weeks ago. Before I started the meds I was having very bad depersonalization symptoms which scared me senseless. That had calmed down but I'm still struggling with anxiety and panic, though not as bad as I think the meds are starting to kick in.

My parents went abroad 18 days ago and have just returned this morning, so I have been alone during quite a bad period of side effects of the meds but am now feeling a bit better. I had been in regular contact with them by phone though.

My worry is, that now they are home - after missing them a lot - I feel a sense of detatchment from them, almost like they are strangers, and it is really freaking me out! I also feel more anxious this morning than I was when they were away.

Do you think this is my anxiety causing this detatchment? It is horrible as they are the two people I trust and love most in the world and they always support me through my condition and to feel like this about them is awful.

Any advice is REALLY appreciated.xxxxxx:wacko:

SickofIt
28-09-10, 15:31
HI there, debs.
Sounds to me like it might be just a normal feeling you get when you haven't seen someone in awhile.

I used to feel this way when my kids were younger and they went away on vacation for a week or so.

How do you feel generally when your parents are not around? Do you feel strange in other ways? Do you feel detached from others, or just them?

debs71
28-09-10, 15:53
Hi,

Thanks so much for your response!

I'm actually ok when they are not around, but since I have had this episode of anxiety and panic I have had that spaced out/distant feeling from family members, which i just put down to anxiety symptoms. I spend a lot of time at home so I'm not much around other people, especially since my anxiety has flared up.

I did feel that kind of anxious anticipation before they arrived back, and in retrospect now, I think my heightened anxiety probably contributed to me having those weird feelings, whereas normally I wouldn't feel like that at all when they come back as they are often abroad.

It is just so weird and a horrible feeling to have!

SickofIt
28-09-10, 16:23
Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head with regard to the cause of your heightened anxiety.

DP/DR is the worst, but this will pass.

debs71
28-09-10, 18:47
Thanks so much for your reassurance.x