PDA

View Full Version : Esophagus Cancer

Eggy
26-09-10, 14:05
I have been worrying about this for 3-4 weeks and i am more worried about it now.

My difficulty swallowing seems to be getting worse, My neck pain is getting worse, I'm still getting pains in my face and now i am getting pains inbetween my shoulder blades, My doctor hasn't done anything about this despite several visits.

I keep thinking the doctors are wasting time and it could be something bad and they aren't doing anything, Something like a barium swallow would ease my mind.

I am also a bit worried about mouth cancer too.

hardtime-heather
26-09-10, 14:09
dont panic it doesnt help anxiety , have you ever heard of glubus hypercius? its a throat and swallowing illness i had it and it basically was i felt things were getting stuck when i was eating and i kept feeling a lump feeling the back of my throat , you should ask your doctor to do an idoscapy( camera down throat ) its horrible but it will put your mind at rest

think positive, stay calm
heather xx

j2
26-09-10, 14:13
Difficulty swallowing, pain/tightness in upper back and odd facial sensations are all anxiety related. For me it is a pattern, I get anxious then after a short period I start to get pain in various places because I am tensing up muscles. Even my face and neck can be affected. You could be having GORD or it could be your Esophagus is spasming. I think you are going to be fine. I wish I could tallk to myself this logically. Good luck

Eggy
26-09-10, 14:29
dont panic it doesnt help anxiety , have you ever heard of glubus hypercius? its a throat and swallowing illness i had it and it basically was i felt things were getting stuck when i was eating and i kept feeling a lump feeling the back of my throat , you should ask your doctor to do an idoscapy( camera down throat ) its horrible but it will put your mind at rest

heather xx

Thanks, It's not just the difficulty swallowing though it's the fact that i have had persistent neck pain for over 3 weeks and i know this is a symptom of mouth/esophagus cancer, i get pains in my throat, pains inbetween my shoulder blades and also a few other problems.

Eggy
26-09-10, 14:34

heather xx

paula lynne
26-09-10, 14:38
Eggy hello ...I understand you preoccupation with cancer as youve lost people to it...but PLEASE believe me, youve had multiple admissions these past weeks to hospital, and so many tests, they WOULD NOT DISCHARGE YOU unless you were ok. Eggy..can I ask again...PLEASE REPLY...do you live alone?? Im concerned and want to help you Eggy xxxx

Eggy
26-09-10, 14:50
Eggy hello ...I understand you preoccupation with cancer as youve lost people to it...but PLEASE believe me, youve had multiple admissions these past weeks to hospital, and so many tests, they WOULD NOT DISCHARGE YOU unless you were ok. Eggy..can I ask again...PLEASE REPLY...do you live alone?? Im concerned and want to help you Eggy xxxx

Hello,

I haven't had many tests, I have only had blood tests, an ECG and a chest x-ray and at the time i wasn't getting face pains/ear pains or pains inbetween my shoulder blades and aches around my jaws, I haven't had any tests relating to my mouth and throat.

No-one at the hospital was bothered about my mouth/throat problems when i mentioned it and my GP hasn't done much either apart from look in my mouth but obviously my throat seems like the biggest problem.

And yes i do live alone.

paula lynne
26-09-10, 14:54
Eggy you have mentioned in previous posts that youve also had an eye exam, several bp checks and numerous other checks. Why do you dispute what the doctors are saying? Im trying to understand you. Thank you for letting us know you live alone. Can I suggest you talk to a trusted friend about how you feel

Eggy
26-09-10, 14:58
Eggy you have mentioned in previous posts that youve also had an eye exam, several bp checks and numerous other checks. Why do you dispute what the doctors are saying? Im trying to understand you. Thank you for letting us know you live alone. Can I suggest you talk to a trusted friend about how you feel

Eye exams and blood pressure checks are nothing to do with the throat though, My blood pressure has been high for the past 2-3 weeks for some reason even though it's usually normal.

The doctors have not said anything related to my mouth/throat problems.

nomorepanic
26-09-10, 15:15
Eggy - you have to remember that this is NOT a medical diagnostic site. We have no qualified doctor's on here. We do have a few nurses but I expect they would also want you to be checked out by a GP to be sure.

We have offered you loads of explanations for these pains over several days now and you have to accept these answers or go and sit on the doctor's doorstep until they do some more tests.

I personally would not want to put myself through needless tests like endoscopies etc if the GP said there was no need for it.

I know you are worried but keep posting the same thing every day is not going to make it go away and the answers are going to be the same on here.

I kind of wonder if you want someone to say "oh god yes that is definitely cancer". What would you do then? You would go and see the GP wouldn't you?

For the throat get a warm towel (you can warm it on a radiator or in the microwave) and wrap it round your neck it will soothe it.

Once you have seen the dentist he will reassure you about the mouth cancer worry.

I am not sure what else to say as I have said it all before but want you to try and start believing that you are ok now.

nomorepanic
26-09-10, 15:16
I forgot to add that you have just started on medicaion which can give horrible side effects too!

suzy-sue
26-09-10, 15:20
You are very Anxious Eggy ,this causes tension in the shoulders ,and the shoulder blades .Jaw pain is caused by tension and a lot of people clench their jaw whilst asleep ,it causes pain and discomfort ,and can also give you a condition called TMJ .this can be relieved by excercises and wearing a mouth guard at night .Spk to your Dentist about it please .Blood tests would have picked up anything that would indicate Cancer .You have also started taking Cipralex ,,this will cause your Anxiety to rise for a short while ,when settled it will help address the high blood pressure .It will take around 3 weeks to kick in and then you will start to feel a lot less focused on your Symptoms .and your Anxiety will lessen .Reading and talking about your Symptoms all day isnt doing you any good whatsoever .All its doing is making you focus on them .which in turn makes the pain and discomfort worse .Its just fuelling your Anxiety .Keep distracted and try to take your mind off things for an hour or so .I know the weathers not great but a nice walk and fresh air will do you good .Is there someone you can go and visit for an hour or so ? It cant be nice feeling like you do and being on your own .:hugs:Didnt the link I posted yesterday help you ? you can click on to some of the symptoms (WRITTEN IN BLUE ) I really thought it would give you some additional reasurrance ,that your symptoms are Anxiety related . I hope you feel better soon anyway Eggy .t/c Sue x

debs71
26-09-10, 16:09
Eggy, I know from your posts you are clearly concerned that some of the tests you have had will not be diagnostic in terms of specific areas like your current mouth and throat worries, but it is very important that you try to understand that doctors primary concern is your basic healthcare and vital signs, that being your heart rate, resp rate ,BP, possibly temp and basic blood tests which as far as I am aware, are all ok for you. These things in your mind may not directly relate to specific areas of concern for you, BUT THEY DO as they give a general picture of your overall health, and if that is ok, there is little reason for doctors to do unnecessary further tests as all that would serve to do is fuel your anxiety. You say you have a clear ECG and chest x-ray which again is still pretty basic in medical terms, but tells a lot about a persons general health. I do find it difficult to believe that they haven't looked in your throat too, as that is a basic doctors check when examining a patient, and if there is no redness or inflammation they will not say much about that to you I'm afraid. Doctors can be pretty unforthcoming at the best of times, but never more so when there is nothing evident wrong. I don't agree a barium meal will help your anxiety at all. If anthing it is a drastic, uncomfortable procedure to have if it isn't necessary.

Your problems and concerns appear very wide ranging and interchangeable and I am confident that if you are at all able to relax and distract yourself from focusing on the physical, many will resolve.

Eggy
28-09-10, 17:03
I am still worried about this because my throat hurts and sometimes it's painful, I also still feel like something is stuck in my throat, Also i am getting pains in my neck which i have had for a month now, Also i am starting to get horrible pains in my back inbetween my shoulder blades and some funny pains/feelings in my chest and stomach.

I know Esophagus Cancer is more common in people over 60 and in people who drink or smoke but obviously Cancer can strike anyone at any age!

Eggy
28-09-10, 17:24
I am still having problems with swallowing, I am now getting pains in my throat, I am also getting a funny feeling/sensation and a bit of discomfort in my chest.

I have had neck pain for almost or around a month now which hasn't gone away and i have been getting pains in between my shoulder blades since yesterday.

My stomach is also hurting on and off, This has been playing me up for 4-5 weeks or maybe more, I also get diarrhoea and sometimes constipation.

I am still worried about Esophagus Cancer, About 5-6 weeks ago i was worried about Stomach Cancer, I'm still slightly worried about that but i'm more concerned about Esophagus/Neck/Throat Cancer, I think Mouth Cancer has now been ruled out after a dental check-up yesterday.

As you all know i have had the following tests in the last 8 days.

4 ECG's
Chest X-Ray
Mouth X-Ray
Blood Tests
Blood Pressure
I have had a Neurological Exam which was done by my GP
I have had my stomach felt by 2 or 3 doctors in the last 2-3 weeks.
I have had my Lymph Nodes checked by 2 or 3 doctors and my dentist.

nomorepanic
28-09-10, 17:40
Ok well it could be acid indigestion/reflux and/or IBS

The neck could be tension.

I thought you were going to see the doc about all of this?

nomorepanic
28-09-10, 17:47
I will merge the other new post in here so they are all together.

KK77
28-09-10, 17:55
I notice that you've recently started taking escitalopram (Cipralex). Once these meds begin to work in a few weeks' time you should find that these symptoms you're experiencing will diminish. Having read a lot of your posts, I really think that your problems are being caused/exacerbated by uncontrolled anxiety/panic.

Be a little patient Eggy and also understand that even a million tests won't cure anxiety.

Eggy
28-09-10, 18:06
Ok well it could be acid indigestion/reflux and/or IBS

The neck could be tension.

I thought you were going to see the doc about all of this?

I have seen my GP 2 or 3 times about this but nothing has been done.

diane07
28-09-10, 18:14
Eggy, i have all the same symptoms as you, every single one and have done for a long time.

di.

nomorepanic
28-09-10, 18:22
Well they must have said something about it all.

Did they say stress, tension and anxiety?

debs71
28-09-10, 18:42
I have to say Eggy, you post a lot of things about your symptoms and are clearly seeking reassurance or advice, but it does appear that you don't really take in what is being said or advised so I wonder what the point is really?

Everybody wants to help you, no question, including the clinicians you have seen going on the sheer number of tests you have had already, and let me say as a health worker, you have been exceptionally fortunate in being offered even the tests you have had as a lot of doctors won't entertain that unless there is good reason, rightly or wrongly in the patients eyes.

I for one sympathise greatly with your plight in feeling you have justified concerns about your physical health. I just wonder how much you are blocking out though when valid advice is offered?

I hope things settle for you, I truly do.

Jaco45er
28-09-10, 18:54
I have to agree with debs71 fella.

There must be a point when, after so many tests you either accept or, start working on the real problem, your extreme health anxiety (you are not the first to be so engulfed by it, and I do sympathise).

As for Esophagus cancer? my 70 year old dad contracted that 2 years ago, trust me, you would know if you had it.

Eggy mate, start talking to your doctor about getting some therapy, it's faulty thinking that's keep you ill my friend.

Good luck

Jaco

Eggy
28-09-10, 23:10
Well they must have said something about it all.

Did they say stress, tension and anxiety?

Nope, Nothing mentioned about the difficulty swallowing or the feeling or something stuck on my throat, Nothing much said about my stomach either.

nomorepanic
28-09-10, 23:26
Ok well go back and ask them specifically about it.

I am betting it is anxiety though.

Also re-read all the replies on here - I suggested some things that may help soothe the throat.

You will be fine once you calm down about these things and start moving forward from them rather than dwell on them.

The more you worry the worse you make the symptoms.

I assume the doc put you on medication as he thought you were suffering with anxiety though?

Eggy
28-09-10, 23:44
Ok well go back and ask them specifically about it.

I am betting it is anxiety though.

Also re-read all the replies on here - I suggested some things that may help soothe the throat.

You will be fine once you calm down about these things and start moving forward from them rather than dwell on them.

The more you worry the worse you make the symptoms.

I assume the doc put you on medication as he thought you were suffering with anxiety though?

I have never been told by any doctor that i have anxiety, stress or anything else, I was put on Cipralex in 2004 and stayed on it until April this year when i decided to come off it, I asked to go back on it as i thought my panic attacks were coming back.

I have never had this much stomach and throat trouble or bad pains in my neck or shoulder blades that have lasted such a long time.

I also feel full constantly sometimes i am just starting a meal and i am stuffed very very quickly.

These are the reasons that i have been very worried about stomach/esophagus cancer for quite some time now.

nomorepanic
28-09-10, 23:50
Ok but panic attacks are still anxiety related so that is why you are on the medication yes?

All I can say is go back to the doctor and ask them for more tests then.

We can't diagnose anything more on here but I do not think you have cancer at all.

There is no point worrying all this time if you won't believe it is anxiety related. If you have to then pay and go private but I really don't think you have anything seriously wrong.

kibbutz83
29-09-10, 00:44
Eggy, your health anxiety seems to be totally out of control whether you realize it or not. Have you thought about getting some therapy so at least you have someone to "share" your anxiety with?

KK77
29-09-10, 16:37
Eggy, please don't think we don't understand or sympathise but there comes a point where you MUST concentrate on anxiety itself and not the many symptoms - like thinking you have a terrible illness etc.

Stress from whatever cause is a leading factor in many real illnesses, therefore it's SO important to put your energy into getting to the root cause of all this - which I believe is your HA.

It will pass and you can recover from this - I did - but you must accept that you have an illness: health anxiety.

I hope my bluntness doesn't upset you but this is only way forward: go back to your doctor and demand that they help you with your HA. And if at all possible, as Nicola suggested, go private. But as I said before, all the tests in the world won't cure anxiety.

Eggy
29-09-10, 21:46
I went to my doctors today, I couldn't tell the doctor all of my concerns as she just didn't give me enough time, I managed to tell her about my neck pain and my pain between my shoulder blades as well as difficulty swallowing.

She had a quick look in my mouth, Done my blood pressure which has dropped, It is something like 137/91 now, She also had a quick feel around the lymph nodes area.

She examined my chest and back with a stethoscope.

She made me lie down and felt my stomach quickly and felt my neck and my back to see if it was tender.

I also told her that i had seen a dentist regarding my face/neck pain.

For some reason she wants me to have blood tests done again.

I didn't manage to tell her about my chest discomfort or about the fact that i am still getting abdominal pain which is something that i have had for 5 weeks or so now and i am getting very full too easily, I start eating a meal and get full quicker than ever which is a big concern for me.

nomorepanic
29-09-10, 21:56
ok and what did she say ?

Eggy
29-09-10, 22:02
ok and what did she say ?

Nothing at all, Just said to book myself in for a blood test again just to check things and to go back in 2-3 weeks if i still had difficulty swallowing and that was basically it.

I've been trying to eat today but i feel stuffed more or less straight away and struggle to eat and my stomach is still giving me problems.

nomorepanic
29-09-10, 22:13
so she did all these tests and said absolutely nothing at all. Are you sure?

Eggy
29-09-10, 22:21
so she did all these tests and said absolutely nothing at all. Are you sure?

Of course i'm sure, Oh she said she wasn't sure about my neck/shoulder blade pain but it could be something like tension, Again she said to go back if it didn't improve but yes apart from that and asking me to have blood tests done again and to go back if i still had problems swallowing she never said anything else to me.

I presume a doctor can tell a lot from feeling someone's stomach & lymph nodes and examining the chest and back of someone with a stethoscope?

nomorepanic
29-09-10, 22:25
Yes and with all the other tests they did as well.

Ahh so it could be tension then like we suggested.

Well all you need to do now is start looking after yourself and believing a lot of it is anxiety and then you will be on the way to coping more.

debs71
29-09-10, 22:26
This is the last post I will make on your threads Eggy as I in no way want to be seen as having a constant go at you as you are clearly in the grip of quite a severe health anxiety, but I do find it disconcerting and quite frustrating that many members here have been offering genuinely well meaning advice about tackling your anxiety rather than your perceived symptoms and you are not even acknowledging them.

I feel 'denial' is the term.

I truly hope you find some peace of mind. I just worry that your doctor is completely short sighted and not helping you one bit with further tests.

Take Care Eggy.x

Eggy
29-09-10, 22:35
This is the last post I will make on your threads Eggy as I in no way want to be seen as having a constant go at you as you are clearly in the grip of quite a severe health anxiety, but I do find it disconcerting and quite frustrating that many members here have been offering genuinely well meaning advice about tackling your anxiety rather than your perceived symptoms and you are not even acknowledging them.

I feel 'denial' is the term.

I truly hope you find some peace of mind. I just worry that your doctor is completely short sighted and not helping you one bit with further tests.

Take Care Eggy.x

I get your point, However i don't think having pain when swallowing and having difficulty swallowing is normal, The same goes for feeling very full when eating even if it's my first or second meal of the day and getting quite persistent neck/abdominal pain so i'm glad my doctor is prepared to do more tests, The more tests the better to give me reassurance and so i either way what is going on.

ladybird64
29-09-10, 22:45
Sorry mate but sooner rather than later your doctor is not going to carry out further tests because it is pointless..you have had comprehensive testing already.

I honestly agree with everyone else who has commented and tried to help..you don't seem to be listening to them and think that there is any possibility this may be anxiety related.

Maybe now you need to consider the possibility of what you do after further tests have been declined..will you be open to the idea of getting help for Health Anxiety?

Whatever you decide I wish you well.

nomorepanic
29-09-10, 22:46
Eggy - the swallowing thing I get all the time as well. I have had it today. I have it for months on end too.

I too won't be replying anymore as I think I have said all I can and offered loads of advice and tips to help the swallowing (none of which you have tried as far as I know) but good luck with things ok and please try to start looking after yourself more.

You do need to get help with things though and break this cycle of needing constant reassurance from people.

I hope it all works out ok for you.

bottleblond
29-09-10, 22:52
Nothing at all, Just said to book myself in for a blood test again just to check things and to go back in 2-3 weeks if i still had difficulty swallowing and that was basically it.

I've been trying to eat today but i feel stuffed more or less straight away and struggle to eat and my stomach is still giving me problems.

Eggy

You'll probably find about 80% of us here on NMP have the same symptoms. Especially the throat problems. Infact i am talking to two of my friends on MSN who are and have been suffering the same. As for your tummy problems, anxiety does effect you like that. When i am anxious, i eat like a budgy. Two mouth fulls and i know if i try to eat anymore, it will be like swallowing concrete.

Shoulder pain ect is a classic sympton of anxiety/stress/tension, no two ways about it.

So many people here have done their best to share their experiences with you and try to advise you as best as humaly possible but unless you actually take some of it in, you are fighting a loosing battle. No-one here can MAKE you take notice and all the blood tests and doctors visits will be a waste of time also unless you absorb, think about and listen to what people are telling you.

Best wishes

Lisa

diane07
29-09-10, 23:06
My posts seem to keep getting ignored.

But i will say it again, i have all of these symptoms, every single one of them, only i have a fullness in my ears too, for a long time i have had tongue problems, sore throat, sore mouth, lump in the throat.

Without being harsh or rude these posts are now starting to stress me, only i know they are anxiety related, i can understand your fear of thinking it is something bad, but you seem to be searching for a bad cause.

It is just anxiety, you have had so many tests done, and the more you post about it the more you are feeding your health anxiety, please do try and see it as anx and nothing sinister, your doctor would have found something if it was, you are lucky to have had so many tests done.

The sooner you except it as anxiety the more the symptoms will leave you.

I do hope you read this and accept it for what it really is, its just anxiety.

di x

dubious
29-09-10, 23:24
Hi has anyone suggested achalasia to you? all the symptoms you describe, it sounds like this is what you have. it is very rare so a lot of doctors have never heard of it. There is a few messages about it on here search for 'achalasia' also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achalasia. this is a physical condition that has nothing to do with anxiety.

Eggy
29-09-10, 23:40
Hi has anyone suggested achalasia to you? all the symptoms you describe, it sounds like this is what you have. it is very rare so a lot of doctors have never heard of it. There is a few messages about it on here search for 'achalasia' also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achalasia. this is a physical condition that has nothing to do with anxiety.

Only thing with that is i don't get Regurgitation.

KK77
30-09-10, 13:53
My posts seem to keep getting ignored.

di x

Lordy, Miss Bootsie - you're not the only one lol

Wish you well Eggy - we have tried our best to reassure you!

Carly Lou
30-09-10, 15:25
Eggy.....
I can not stress enough that you must believe that this is all anxiety.... I have suffered with stomach trouble for a YEAR !!! that is just part of what my anxiety does to me... the more anxious you are getting... The WORSE is it making your symptoms.... As for the swallowing and throat etc..... when i get nervous... i have trouble swallowing... i have done for months and months....
I too have been in thr situation where i have not believed anything the doctors have said, after numerous blood tests, abdominal scans, and paying private for eye tests and smears.... there was nothing there.... which is the same with you... you must believe that what they are telling you IS the truth, i have been there trust me on that, and you certainly arnt the only one who is like this... many of us on here have been the same... do you really want to live the next 60 years worrying about being ill... youll look back and think you wasted all that time and energy worrying and making yourself more anxious ... and it was all for nothing... 29 and the likely hood of having mouth/throat whichever cancer.... is very highly unlikely....
everyone here has tried to help you so much... but you have to accept it is anxiety.... the dentist would have noticed something..... if there is something wrong with your mouth.... that is the only place where it would be easily noticable... and your dentist would have seen something.... your anxiety is tensing you right up so this is why you are having these pains....
Trust me Eggy..... this will and it seems it has taken over your whole life.... you need to go to therapy, i did.... do some CBT.....
you must trust what everyone on here is saying...
And i DO appriciate how hard it is when you have these thoughts and feelings.....

Wish you well like everyone else is..... Trust what gp's are saying.......
take care