PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin B12 Deficiency?

lyndieloo1980
26-09-10, 17:38
Hi There

I was wonderin if anyone on here has a Vit B12 deficiency??

If so, could you explain your symptoms?

MidnightCalm
26-09-10, 20:39
Isn't that anemia?
Common anemia complaints are shortness of breath, tiredness, easy bruising and pale skin, I'm sure somebody on here will have personal experience with it.

sammi
26-09-10, 20:43
That's anemia yes. I have b9 deficiency which is low folic acid not sure if its similar?

MidnightCalm
26-09-10, 20:45
Hmmm, not sure, do you take any supplements/vitamins for it?

sammi
26-09-10, 20:57
I take folic acid perscribed by docs. Its lack of green veg. X

MidnightCalm
26-09-10, 21:23
Ahh, good old greens.

sammi
26-09-10, 21:32
Apparantly your body can't make its own folic acid so it relys on you to make it up by eatin properly especially green veg! So the gp told me x

lyndieloo1980
26-09-10, 22:52
thanks for you replies

just feelin a little under the weather lately, i do suffer from mild anxiety but over past 2/3 weeks felt legs weak, heart racing on and off, sore tongue like its burnt at the top, body tired and fatigued, bit spaced out and now my bottom lip has felt numb since last wednesday too which is bothering me.

just looked on internet earlier and was concerned about anemia and vitamin b12 deficiency.

shouldn't really google symptoms.....

:)

football12345
27-09-10, 03:00
Hi,

I'm currently on medication for iron deficiency anaemia.

I was feeling short of breath and tired a lot so I had a blood test, turned out I was anaemic.

daybyday
27-09-10, 03:17
I am low on b12. Supposedly the intrinsic factor in my stomach is not functioning to break it down for absorbability, but my liver is fine to absorb and hold it through the bloodstream avenue.
All that said I am on a nasal spray b12, and also bringing up other deficiencies with a dr.
I am on the low end of the range, but I am not anemic.

Kerry B
27-09-10, 19:09
Hi I used to suffer with vitamin B12 deficency but i have crohns diease and had have vitamin b12 injections evey 3 months for 10 years or more dont have to have them anymore. I was always very tired and knew when It was time to have the injection.
vitamin b12 is found in red meat at the time i was a vegitarian which didnt help.

JAYQ
27-09-10, 19:32
You know you can just buy Vitamin B Complex vitamins that are time released and gives you all the B vitamins you need. Diff brands of course have diff dosages of each.

lynn1960
27-09-10, 20:06
i have a b12 problem due to diabeties but always felt really well

Hazel B
27-09-10, 20:41
LL - the best thing to do is to ask your doc for a blood test, they call it "FBC" - then you would know for sure, it may be the symptoms of anxiety tricking you.
And PLEASE stay away from "Dr Search Engine" - it makes things worse.
Hope you feel better soon.

PoppyC
27-09-10, 21:44
Hello
I have a Vit B12 deficiency - quite severe - pernicious anemia. I found out through blood tests which showed it up. I now have injections. Depending on how low you are in B12, then ordinary B12 vitamins will not be enough. You will need very high strength B12 vitamins or injections.
I am often very tired as in I have to sleep, and I just feel run down and often very tearful too. I can get very confused also.
Have you had a gp confirm that you have a B12 deficiency?

JAYQ
27-09-10, 21:54
Is vitamin B Def found through a full panel blood test you take for red & white blood cell count, and platelets? Or do you have to order a diff test?

lyndieloo1980
27-09-10, 23:35
thanks for all your replies on this topic

i have doc appointment on wednesday so i shall chat with her and ask for blood test if she doesn't offer one. Would a fbc blood test show up b12 and folic acid and iron etc??

just feel worried about the sore tongue, numb bottom lip just generally feeling a little low but think that i'm thinking too much about symptoms etc

amandaj
28-09-10, 10:10
hi lyndie i have vb12 deficiency and i have blood tests every 6 months and injections 3 monthly , 1 symptom of it a sore tongue which ive got myself again atm so im wondering if im low it , im on iron tablets everyday also, you could also feel very tired having it, if you do need vb12 a boost of it really helps you and yes a fbc would be able to tell you good luck
amandaxx

lyndieloo1980
28-09-10, 19:30
hi amandaj

what other symptoms did you have with the vit b deficiency??

amandaj
30-09-10, 10:32
hi lyndie i also had extreme tiredness and weight loss i couldnt eat with it what symptoms are you getting ? xx