PDA

View Full Version : Does Exposure Make Your Panic Attacks Better?

Xavier
26-09-10, 18:05
There seems to be a theory around that going to places where you hve panic attacks and forcing yourself to put up with it and endure the symptoms will make it better and they will reduce and go away then.

I have tried doing this however and the panic attacks just stay pretty much constant. I had a job for a while where I had panic attacks all the time and forced myself to put up with it, and the symptoms didn't get any better.

I think its a complete myth that forced exposure helps panic disorder.
Any opinions?

paula lynne
26-09-10, 18:07
Whats YOUR opinion and why? X, you are posting so many thread we cant keep up! have you had experience of this x many people here have, including myself...:)

nomorepanic
26-09-10, 18:08
In my opinion it does work in time but it takes a while and you have to stick at it over and over again.

Xavier
26-09-10, 18:22
Whats YOUR opinion and why? X, you are posting so many thread we cant keep up! have you had experience of this x many people here have, including myself...:)

I already explained my opinion was that persistent exposure doesn't help panic attacks because I've already tried it over a long period of time, and the panic attacks just carried on and on. I have plenty of experience of it.

Anxious_gal
26-09-10, 18:25
it has to be done right or else it will end up increasing you fear.

it's better to have a professional with you, to talk you through it and you need to stay there until your anxiety calms down. so you learn that it is safe.

you normally start of with little things and once your comfortable with that you go on to the next thing.

Xavier
26-09-10, 18:31
it has to be done right or else it will end up increasing you fear.

it's better to have a professional with you, to talk you through it and you need to stay there until your anxiety calms down. so you learn that it is safe.

you normally start of with little things and once your comfortable with that you go on to the next thing.

I didn't do it with professional help. I just did it on my own.
Trouble was the anxiety never really would die down in certain places for the reason that the panic attacks didn't reduce.

paula lynne
26-09-10, 18:34
For years (as you knw) health professionals have advocated this appraoch, as it seems to produce the best response regarding recovery. ( great info on this on this site). Recent research, however, advocates a combination of exposure and medication. Clearly, this is very individualistic. It works for about 65% of sufferers (BMJ, 2009). How are you doing at the mo? I dont take any px meds myself for agoraphobia, panic or anxiety. A great article on here also, describes the reasons why it starts...genetic, faulty amygdala, social factors etc...but no-one seems to be able to give a difinative reason...I guess if they did they would be rich. So...how are you doing at the moment, excuse spelling, glasses lost, bit stressed!

paula lynne
26-09-10, 18:37
apology for first thread, mixed messages and timing, too may things going on. Im sorry it didnt work for you...wahts you plan of action now? and do you get lots of support from family and friends?

debs71
26-09-10, 18:45
My panic attacks have been worse than before just lately. I have seen myself going in the distinct direction of hiding at home as I was becoming scared to leave the house in fear of having a panic attack.

I have been making the decision therefore to confront that fear and have gone shopping this past week on 3 seperate occasions because I am adamant I am not going to go downhill and become agoraphobic. The first time I did it unsuccessfully and had to return straight home, the second time I did it successfully but had all the panic symptoms - sweating, heart racing, feeling faint - and just bore them. The third time was distinctly easier - an underlying anxiety but not as bad physical symtoms.

For me personally, I find that it is much better for me to expose myself to my panic attack situations as I am becoming less dreading of them now, but I don't think there is a definite yes or no as to whether this works or not. It is about the individual and what they can or can't confront or cope with, and what methods work well and which don't.

Xavier
26-09-10, 19:20
My panic attacks have been worse than average in the last few weeks, and I think I am just sick to death of it. Theres really not many things I can do any more outside the house without getting panic attacks, and if things carry on like this I will just probably become like a hermit.

I have just started doing CBT with a councillor and just want to find some kind of medication which will work to stop the panic attacks.

I can't really see myself solving the problem without drugs to get rid of the symptoms, as I will always worry about the panic attacks until I can go out without having them, and the worrying invariably causes them, and drugs are the only way to break that cycle as far as I can see.

I just don't see how exposure if every time you go somewhere you get a panic attack as the fear and anxiety you have attached to going to that place will just remain in that instance.

debs71
26-09-10, 19:28
Xavier, I think the fear and anxiety does remain, but I do think it becomes easier to deal with, because when you experience even ONE occasion when you manage to endure the place you usually panic in, it instills a confidence in you that you can survive it the next time. It is confidence building if you like.

I really believe that a lot of anxiety is about the fear of having the fear/panic attack again, and when you confront that, you gradually, slowly chip away at it.

I do take meds as well...Cipralex daily....which has helped take the edge off, but actually dealing with the practicalities of panic attacks, well I'm afraid that is down to us or good quality CBT!:unsure:

Xavier
26-09-10, 20:17
Xavier, I think the fear and anxiety does remain, but I do think it becomes easier to deal with, because when you experience even ONE occasion when you manage to endure the place you usually panic in, it instills a confidence in you that you can survive it the next time. It is confidence building if you like.

I've sort of done that til I'm blue in the face tbh for the last 5 years.

A few years ago at one time when I was working I went to work every day for months, had multiple panic attacks daily and just put up with it.

I never fled and went home. I always endured it, until a point where I couldn't any more and just basically had a nervous breakdown, and havn't had a job since.

I've also gone out to places many times since then and stayed there through having panic attacks. I still just keep getting them though.

ladybird64
26-09-10, 20:32
It's not a theory Xavier, it actually does work.

I think a lot of this boils down to the fact that yes, we can "put up" with a panic but the fear of what it is doing to us isn't eradicated, hence the fear stays.

I hear your frustration and I know exactly what you mean..I "put up with" panics for years because I thought that was the way to do it..course you are under such stress trying to fight this unseen monster, the anxiety levels are sky high before you start..it's a no win situation.

To do things on your own is the perfect outcome but it is also terribly hard. When you say you have put up with these attacks what did you actually do? Do you distract yourself, do something else?
How do you feel during it..what is the thing that frightens you most?

To answer these questions is the first step to unravelling the things that terrify us..to take away their power.

I was a sufferer of PA's for many years and also had a degree of agoraphobia..I have done more this year than in the preceeding 20 years.

Medication is an emotive subject and you will find there are some here who swear by it and others who think it should be avoided at all costs.
What I can tell you is that to expect a med to sudenly stop your PA's is asking the impossible..it will still need input from your part.

I'm not trying to be condescending, just speaking as someone who has experienced what you are going through and is coming out the other side.

Many people here advocate reading Claire Weekes books and they were helpful for me to a degree.

kibbutz83
26-09-10, 20:52
Hi Xavier, I had to learn that the panic attacks weren't going to kill me. In order to do that I had to keep myself "present" in the situations that caused me anxiety... which initially was EVERY situation! Anxiety is about fight or flight and hyper-vigilance. I have "taught" my brain to recognize the signs, although when I am suffering total exhaustion ( I only sleep about 3-4 hours a night with a zopiclone :( ) it sometimes gets the better of me. I strongly believe that I must learn to live "alongside" my anxiety :) x

debs71
26-09-10, 21:09
Xavier, it is REALLY, REALLY hard to do and I totally sympathise.

Just the sheer thought of going out last week was terrifying, but I just will not allow panic to stop me living life. I hate all the feelings that go with it and I still had them when I was out, but the way I look at it is, I have gone substantial periods of time without any panic attacks, so I try to keep that in mind that the power to get rid of them again is within me as I've done it before, though I appreciate that that is hard if you have tried and tried again and the same things happen.x