PDA

View Full Version : University related panic attack

Fox
27-09-10, 09:58
Hiya all

Would really appreciate some advice on my situation. Until a few weeks ago had never experienced anything remotely like an attack. Am very scared and bewildered.

Basically, they have coincided with me returning to university. I have two small children and preparing everything for the big day has been one long struggle after another - basically been under a lot of stress for several months.

I had the first one in the middle of our welcome lecture on Monday 13th. It eventually went away and I thought no more of it and told no-one. I didn't want to make a huge fuss about it in case I started to dwell on it. As its a PGCE course I spent the remainder of the week on observation in a school - absolutely no problems what so ever. Mum and Dad were looking after the kids.

Went into uni last monday - again no problems at all and then in the afternoon lecture, actually almost at the end, another one struck. This one didn't go away, just ebbed and flowed. Again, stayed with it; didn't leave the hall. But this time the feelings followed me into the seminar where I was almost desperate to get out of the room. Again, I forced myself to stay reasoning that I might well make it worse if I leave now. But during that seminar the thought popped into my head that I would need to get on the train - and I think that's where some of the problems started.

Managed to get home and had a chat with my husband - still absolutely puzzled as to what was going on. Thought a few stiff drinks would sort it out and I fell asleep. Woke up in the middle of the night with my heart racing and absolutely wired. Rang NHS direct who recommend that I see the doctor first thing.

The doctor put me on anti-depressants and diazapam . The idea being that the diazapam would calm me down and give the anti-depressants time to kick in. Tried to get back in on the Wednesday but the thought of getting on the train absolutely terrified me. The other strange thing is that I think I am producing an excess of adrenaline as I can feel this very strange cool sensation all the time in my muscles. Anyway, went back to the doctors who signed me off for two weeks.

I've never experienced anything remotely like this before ; generally I am a confident person who relishes new experiences. I was very much looking forward to starting the course, I just feel so bewildered now how things could change so quickly. It feels like a part of me has broken.

There must be a trigger with my kids though - last monday was the first day they went to the childminder and I didn't sleep one wink the night before. On top of that I had a horrendously painful period and one of the kids at the school had given me a mild form of tonsillitis so was taking anadin max strength.

What do I do - I'm so confused! I would appreciate any thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

Cheers

Vicky

Fox
28-09-10, 09:07
Hiya

Would really appreciate some advice please, anybody?

Cheers

Vicky

munkeyinblack
28-09-10, 15:16
Hi Vicky,

sorry to hear your having such a rough time , the first attack is always a shock and our bodies never quite know whats hit them!

sounds to me like the panic has come on as a reaction to stress. You have an awful lot going on in your life at the moment and this could be your bodies way of tellin you to slow down?
maybey the 2 weeks rest will help things ?

do you have anything that youre really worrying about or is troubling you ?

relaxing music always helps me and there are breathing exercises that might help to, alot of people on here reccoment the claire weekes book self help for your nerves which is really interesting.

hope this helps feel free to pm me anytime if u need any help or a vent

munkey
x

gemstar07
30-09-10, 15:53
Hi Vicky, I can completely sympathise with you. I had one of my first panic attacks in my welcome lecture at university. I didn't have a clue what was happening, luckily I went to my doctor at uni who was brilliant, they didn't put me straight on anti--depressants, I had a course of counselling, which was excellent help. My advice to you would be to take this time off to completely relax and bring your general anxiety levels down again. Do something everyday that you enjoy and that is purely for you. My panic has returned lately and I'm battling it, it's hard but positive thinking is helping. I've still managed to go to work, thankfully I have 2 days off to rest now as it's really taken it out of me :) and like I just said to you, I'm just relaxing. I'm still doing the usual household chores, but not pushing myself, generally my panic is worse when my background anxiety is bad, so it's better to relax when I can to bring it down. Also as good as it seems at the time, try to avoid drink, I know for me it makes my panic 10 times worse. I totally understand the cool feeling in your muscles, I get that when I have an attack to, feels like it's racing through my body. You're not broken! I think of it as simply needing rewiring :) Something has gone awry for whatever reason and needs fixing. You should speak with your doctor about practical help if the panic continues, anti-depressants are good, but you'll need practical help such as CBT alongside this. (I only say this as first time I got put on anti-depressants with no other help) Like munkey says breathing exercises really help, there are some excellent self help sections on here which help me, I've also been trying vitamins, such as magnesium and vitamin B complex, which seem to help too. My main thing at the moment is not fighting the panic when it comes, believe me it's hard, but I'm just letting it wash over me, almost visualising it washing over me. It seems to distance me from all the physical symptoms and I think the level of panic when it comes, tends to fade a lot faster. Sorry for the babbling, hope it is of some help :) Hope you feel a little better and know that there is always support on here. Feel free to message me if you need support. Big hugs :bighug1: