PDA

View Full Version : paroxatine reliance

ChrisS
06-03-06, 09:22
Hi

I have been suffering from anxiety for 14 years…on and off, with bad times and better times. I have tried all sorts of things, I have been paying to see a psychologist for a year or so (I am finding out a lot about myself…but getting ‘cured’) I have been referred for CBT with the NHS and have tried various techniques with no success as yet. I have also tried loads of the other things that we all have been recommended.

However the only thing that has ever worked for me is paroxetine, which I have been on and off for about 9 years, when taking this I don’t suffer from the anxiety at all and I have been getting to the stage of thinking ‘is that what I need?’ and just accept that diabetics take their insulin asthmatics use their inhalers…and maybe this is just what I have to do. I don’t know for how long…maybe forever?...but surely it is better to be able to live my life to the full 100% now rather than continue on for who knows, another 14 years at 50-60%.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience of making a similar decision?

CS.

Robertc160882
06-03-06, 09:30
Hi Chris,

I know this is very much a tough call because like you say it is a condition and if it doesn’t mend then you treat it with medication. I think anyone would agree no one wants to wake up in the morning and depend on taking tablets to get themselves through the day but if it helps you cope how, can anyone argue with it. I think the recommended time that you should stay on ad’s is 6 months at least and a maximum of 2-3 years who knows the reason for this. I personally think it may be something to do with the damage it will do to our kidneys etc.

Have you tried hypnotherapy I did it once and It really helped I’m currently considering doing it again. I think people who suffer from anxiety are a hypnotist’s dream because we are more subjectable to taking things in. I think you should speak to your GP and see what he say’s at the end of the day if he doesn’t prescribe them you can’t take them so It would need to be a joint decision and make sure you ask about the health risk’s.

Robert

ChrisS
06-03-06, 10:45
Hi Robert

Thanks for your reply....it is so difficult to know what to do...and inevitably the temptation to go for the thing that works is huge...even if it is drug based.

As for the hypnotherapy I have been for one session, just introductory, and was concerned that I could just be throwing a whole load more cash at something that was perhaps not going to help. I don't know enough about it, but does the therapist just talk to you? or is there some actual hypnosis?...I have seen a psychologist both NHS and private and I am not sure that more talking is going to make any great strides....I feel like I need some active therapy...although I am not sure what...Ihave had some CBT and I follow the theory, and belive in it...but have not had that 'eureka' moment that we are all searching for!

CS.

Robertc160882
06-03-06, 10:58
Hi Chris,

Hypnotherapy is a two sided thing you have to believe you will be hypnotised if it is going to work. I found it to be a huge benefit and I couldn’t open my eyes when he asked me to try so I defiantly believe in the power of hypnosis.

The hypnotist I seen did what it says on the tin he spoke to me first time around then when I went back the second time he put me under. What I remember is that he told me things like you will be positive and free of negative thoughts and will be able to achieve a to z of things. He spoke in great detail about my condition and taught my mind ways of switching of and he gave me various coping mechanisms to deal with my problems.

I think you would need to try at least 3 sessions to determine if it would work for you.

Robert