PDA

View Full Version : CITALOPRAM verses PROZAC

merlin 66
28-09-10, 18:52
Hi This is my first time on a forum so please excuse any errors.
Where to begin...
I began having very bad anxiety attacks and terrible depression. We all get down from time to time but I just could not get myself out of the despair this time. I reluctantly admitted defeat and went to doctors, who put me on prozac, which I took for 2 weeks. My symptoms got worse. I went back and he then put me on citalopram, which I have only been on for a few days.
I don't like taking drugs so was a bit worried about side effects and being on this drug as I was told it is far more addictive than prozac.
The anxiety has lessened a bit but not the depression, but early days yet.
Has anyone else tried prozac first, (after 2 weeks the anxiety seemed to be worse). Should I have stuck with the prozac or did I do the right thing by changing to citalopram.

Thanks for taking time to read this

merlin 66

lollybob
28-09-10, 19:33
I've been on prozac before (when i had Post Natal Deppression)

I found that, it helped for the time, as it was a different type of drug. Prozac relaxes you and so your less likely to find it stressfull... It is great for when the outside issues are the culprit (money, divorce, work, bond with your baby etc)

Citalopram is a drug which helps your body to keep hold of serotonin levels( your happy hormone) . This is great for when you have a chemical imbalance. xx

So both drugs can work, but i have a chemical imbalance now so the citalopram is working ( slowly, as with all these things) but yes, after 3 weeks i'm starting to feel the benefits. I won't say it is easy, but it is working. I can now see a light of a 400mile tunnel!

Citalopram - from my sis in law, who has also been on it, it harder to get off because if your happy hormone are at an elevated level you will drop (like withdrawl) and feel down compared so feel like you are going back into "that place" so that is why people find it hard.

This is just my view of things xx If any probs, see your GP! They are here to help. :hugs:

KK77
28-09-10, 19:34
The problem is Merlin that these drugs take a long time to work sometimes - especially Prozac because it's very slow-acting. I think you should give it more than a couple of weeks before you decide it's no good and switch.

Also side effects like increased anxiety/panic are very common initially and it's hard for doctors who obviously don't want you to suffer any more than you already are to decide whether to keep you on it or switch to another AD.

As for addictiveness, I don't think that's the case with this class of drugs but they can be difficult to discontinue if you stop abruptly.

Welcome to NMP and good luck.

merlin 66
28-09-10, 20:10
Hi lollybob. Thanks for the reply. Good to have someone to talk to. I am Glad to see you are at the stage where you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. For me it seems a long way off but heres hoping.

Take care x :hugs:

merlin 66
28-09-10, 20:16
Thanks melancholia77. Maybe I should give prozac another go. I just needed something to act quicker initially as I was so so desperate but the citalopram has certainly started to act on the anxiety quicker.

Thanks for advice

Merlin 66

suzy-sue
28-09-10, 20:27
Hi MERLIN Both drugs do the same .Just a different ingredient .Neither are addictive but shouldnt be abruptly stopped .It will take abt 3weeks for the initial side effects to stop .Then you will see the effect .often you have to increase your dose to find the one that works best for you .Prozac is longer lasting in the body so less withdrawals are experienced when coming off ,its sometimes used to replace other ssris when the discontinuation becomes difficult , Good luck with your Citalopram journey ,I have been taking it for 2 years and its really helped get me get back on track .Just be patient its a bit of a waiting game but worth it in the end ...ALL THE BEST Sue

KK77
29-09-10, 20:07
Thanks melancholia77. Maybe I should give prozac another go. I just needed something to act quicker initially as I was so so desperate but the citalopram has certainly started to act on the anxiety quicker.

Thanks for advice

Merlin 66

Stick to it Merlin. There are reports that citalopram is better suited to anxiety-related conditions than Prozac - which can really increase agitation early on - so perhaps it was the right thing for you to switch.

Glad it's already beginning to help anyway.