PDA

View Full Version : Went to get my sore leg looked at again, was NOT prepared for the results!

Ella_Jayne
28-09-10, 23:25
My right leg has been sore for a few days now and on Saturday I noticed a few inches below my knee was upraised like a bump. I went to A&E as I was freaking out that it was a clot, they ran some tests and said it wasn't a clot but to have an ultrasund to see if there is anything else going on with it.

Went back this morning only to be told there was no need or an ultrasound as the bloods were fine (already knew that but anywho...) but to have an x-ray instead, so I had the x-ray and the doctor called me in with the results, he couldn't see why I had that bump below my knee as the x-ray on that part of my leg was fine BUT he did notice above my knee, On the inside of my leg was an extra bone!!! I was like 'WHAT!', he explained that people stop groing cartilidge or something around 18/19 yrs old but mine kept growing apparently and now I have an extra bone!!!

He has now referred me to see an Orthopedic doctor for advice about whether or not to have it removed (SURGERY!!! NOOOO!) So I'm really scared and shocked and bloody still confused as to what the lump below my knee is... He said this extra bone thing might cause me complications in the future. I really can't think of the name of this 'condition' if you'd call it that but when he mentioned the name to me he said 'Now I know what you're thinking... Cancer...' actually I wasn't but I am now!!! He said it very rarely causes anything serious but it's obviously possible...

Anyone have any idea what this is called as I want to do a bit of research on it before Thursday when I see the Orthopedic. But I have no idea what to search for. :wacko:

x

uk23
29-09-10, 01:57
I have had that since I was 12 years old, the doctor told me it was from growing too quickly (im 6ft4). Im now 23 and the pain is more or less gone there but there is a huge lump of bone sticking out. You can have surgery to remove it but unless its really annoying you I was told it wasnt needed.

Osgood-Schlatters disease is whats its called (if its the same thing you are talking about). Its harmless and just hurts sometimes.

Ella_Jayne
29-09-10, 16:57
Thanks for your reply! I thought it was that too but when I looked it up it didn't seem like it was the same as the doctor said! I'm 5ft 7 and he didn't say anything about growing too quick, just that my right leg kept producing cartilage or something...

I really hope I don't have to get it removed, just wish I knew more about 'it' before tomorrow when I have to go back...