PDA

View Full Version : My son

alihud
29-09-10, 13:26
Hi there guys.Have had a ropey old morning.My 11 year old son had a huge panic attack on the way to school as he was feeling really poorly and i thought he was putting it on.I feel terrible now.Me of all people should understand and it really frightened me to see him like it.
Thankfully i got him home and calmed him down.He has only got like this a few times before and usually he is a really outgoing,sociable lad.
Has just left me feeling really shakey and guilty.He is up in my bed watching tv all snug and warm.
Has anyone else got kids who have panic attacks?
Ali xx

spaced
29-09-10, 14:18
hi ali
My daughter did she's 14 now but started with them at about the same age as your son. It's quite a long story and I'm on my way out so I'll come back and add to this if I can think of anything usefull that might help. I'd check how things are at school just in case there's a problem thats upsetting him ask him but you might want to talk to the school too. His school will have a school nurse so a chat with her might be good I can understand if you wouldn't want to. My daughter missed so much school due to her anx and pa's we were made to see the school nurse it wasn't as bad as I thought she diagnosed her with school phobia which got the school off our backs and reffered her to CAMS she also gave us a pack on dealing with stress anx and pa's in kids which we still have some where there was some usefull stuff in there.
Try not to worry easier said then done keep a very close eye on him he'll probably be just fine. My daughters okay now and very bravely went back to school this september after being at home for nearly 3 years these things tend to come good in the end.

steph2412
29-09-10, 14:18
hi i dont have kids with panic attacks but just wanted to say you shouldnt feel guilty about your son its a easy mistake to make at least he is happy and safe now.:)

neshpot
29-09-10, 14:19
Hi alihud. I'm a bit worried about my 11yr son. He just started high school and i'm having trouble with him going. hardly gone since they started back. Seems to have developed a bit of anxiety. Says his tummy keeps flipping over and over, and has become quite clingy. He says he's worrying, but doesn't know why. I'm gutted. If he feels just a tiny bit like I feel.... I feel guilty making him go, but what can you do? I spend most of the day when he's at school worrying about him. Don't know if this is just a 'starting high school' thing or the begining of something permanent.

Vanilla Sky
29-09-10, 15:23
Hi Alli hun , Sorry your son is going through this . I have seen signs that my 20yr old son has anxiety and i worry that somehow hes reacting the way he saw me doing so when my panic was at its worst . I talk with him at every opportunity i get , try make him understand that its very common and to never be afraid to ask for support when needed .
I hope your son gets over this Ali , could just be hes experiencing a change as he's getting older, there is support at schools . I'm sure you are doing your very best for him :hugs:

Paige xx

sb001f8994
29-09-10, 15:42
Hi ali,
Amy started having panicky feelings at around the same age, she was getting ready to go into seniors and was hormonal (as the doctor put it) and many changes were happening as we were about to move house too. She had the breathlessness which was freaking her out and tummy wobbles. All I could do was listen to her and be there, just like what your doing. I didnt make anything of the panics, I didnt want to frighten her more so we just sort of ignored these symptoms. Our gp was less sympathetic and said it was all part of growing up and everyone felt that way. This is some eight years ago and she settled into her new school and our new house well. She has had a few blips, mainly when she's been taking exams but she copes very well. I just remind her she's been there before and got over it. She was a bit anxious last week when she started college but there's no keeping in her in now!
All you can do is listen to him and be there for him basically doing exactly what you always do. It might have been made worse because he is off colour and it may never happen again, like you said he has got like that a few times before but is always outgoing. What better place to be in when your not too well, in mums bed, snug, warm and watching tv!
Dont worry too much ali, take care x

calm
29-09-10, 15:51
i have sent you a pm xxxxx

calm
29-09-10, 15:53
it is oh so hard when we have children and we have anxiety/panic issues....we are all in this together and if we can support each other that is wonderful xxxxx

ali....he is safe xxxxx

alihud
29-09-10, 16:02
Thanx for the replies i've got to the bottom of it.It is school,he is finding it tough,lots of fighting going on and the teachers are being extremely strict and when they've come from a small primary school its a huge change.My daughter was the same and her panic attacks started then too.I should have known really.Have got Kayleigh through it and will get him through it too hopefully.They both have a sensitive nature like me and will probably find life that little bit tougher but i know i will be there for them all the way.
Ali xxx

tambo12
06-10-10, 13:51
there are many ways to beat this condision .
I have had panic attacks and anxiety for 12 years .
I tried everything but it came down to me standing up to myself in the end .
You have to belive that you are stronger than the attacks .
I know they are scary and I know that you fell like your dying , but your not and they do pass.
Try to let it pass over you like a wave , the attack will happen but the more you fight it the worse it my feel .breath deep and try to let it pass .
this may help you as well http//tinyurl.com/2w5ngap