PDA

View Full Version : Refered for a pelvic scan, worried:-(

Lissy43
29-09-10, 15:48
My IBS got really bad last night so hubby told me to see my GP today. Bless him.

I told him what had been going on all summer hols and this month and he said before examining me it sounded like IBS but had I had an invegestigations done. He asked if id had a pelvic scan done, I said no so he has refered me for one. He examined me and said it felt more like IBS but wanted to be sure. I asked if he meant PID, and he said yes it was one of the things the scan would be looking for:-(

I have daily windy popping pains low in abdomen on the sides, mostly my right side, but sometimes both, and lately abit of lower back ache. The other GP I saw a few weeks back said it was IBS, as has he in the summer when I saw him about the daily pains. You can actually feel the wind popping under your hand when you feel there. It is never high up, so they do not thnk it is gastric, so not helicobacter again.

He said that it seemed more like IBS but as it is daily pain and on the sides he needs to be sure. He said the ultrasound will rule out pelvic area problems and then we can be 100% sure it's IBS and focus on that and he said i need strong treatment. He wants me to go back in 2 weeks, by then we will know and can treat me with antidepressants. He underlined not for depression, he said the tryciclics which i was on in the past treat chronic IBS pains which he said I really do need if the scan is clear.

I am really worried now, not sure how soon this scan will come through, but he said to come back in 2 weeks and we shall have a better idea?? In my experience it takes about 2 months around here before you get seen for a scan, so not sure why he said to come back in 2 weeks.

I just really worry about my periods since the op I had at the end of last year to remove the pregnancy that didn't take, and I had awful periods afterwards, leading to this phobia I have. I am due on any day and I am even more anxious now as I know PID can cause very heavy periods, which will then just make my fear of haemorrage even worse.

I don't know why I am posting, I am just concerned what the scan might find. What else will it be looking for other than pelvic inflammatory disease? I guess fibroids, cysts?

I had a scan earlier this year for gallstones when I was having symptoms when I had helicobacter. She also scanned quite low down, so GP said that is reassuring it isn't PID. He also said I had 2 lots of swabs done this year, in January and April when I had heavy periods, both clear results. I had a full blood count done 2 months ago which was also all fine, so he doesn't think I need to be concerned. He just wants to rule out anything pelvic so we can then be sure it is IBS and focus on treatment, as nothing so far is helping me. He was very thorough to be fair, he is a good doctor.

I don't know why I am posting, just need to get it all off my chest I guess. I am going to be so nervous waiting.

miss diagnosis
29-09-10, 17:05
i know its horrible when u are referred for something but please try not to worry. My OH was sent for a pelvic scan for a non muscular pain in his side and there was nothing there at all.pain still comes and goes. just one of those things. and at least scan is less intrusive then a colonoscopy!!

Lissy43
29-09-10, 17:07
Yes very true. It is just going to be the wait, he said I should go back in 2 weeks but I can't see it being sorted by then. My last scan on my gallbladder took ages.

countrygirl
29-09-10, 17:48
He might have requested a quick scan becuase of your anxiety in which case you could get it within 2 weeks. Be thankful he is doing this he is just completely ruling out anything wrong with your ovaries or womb and then they can be certain its ibs.

I totally sympathise with your fear of waiting - I have been posting about my wait for breast results and now have to have ultrasound of breasts and wait yet again for results - sure i will be a basket case before long!

Lissy43
29-09-10, 17:54
I hate waiting, but he did say come back in two weeks and we will know then for sure it's ibs, so possibly he is rushing it through. I hope so anyway, nothing worse than waiting.

GOod luck to you xxxx

Lissy43
30-09-10, 07:09
Thank you all, I feel abit less worried about it today. Hopefully the scan will come through quickly.