PDA

View Full Version : Scared, felt like i couldn't catch my breath

cheesy pete
30-09-10, 00:07
Hey,

Just made myself jump 10-15 minutes ago and now feel like i cannot sleep. Had acid reflux diagnosed three weeks ago but appears to be going ho wever got a cold at the moment and really chesty cough for the last week. Just woke up in bed and felt like i couldn't breathe or missed a breath. No sharp pain in my chest but feel like i am hacking to bring something up but i can't. Happened to anyone else?

Too worried to go back to sleep in case it happens again :weep:

debs71
30-09-10, 00:22
Hi,

If you have a bad throat and chesty cough and some congestion on your chest you can get a bit of a tight feeling due to your position when lying flat and sleeping. Have you been coughing up anything at all during the daytime?

It might help you to do either of 2 things...raise the head of your bed (if you are able) or try sleeping with few pillows behind you so you are not so flat in the bed.

This really helps that congested, breathless feeling.

Hope this helps.:hugs:

cheesy pete
30-09-10, 00:29
Hi Debs,

Thanks for the answer. I have been coughing for most of the day for the last week or so. Not really bringing anything up just feel like i need to, especially at the moment. It's like something is stuck in central chest.

Really frightened myself, suddenly felt shoulders tighten. Lots of deep breathes. Got one particularly large tonsil (right) and someone has said to me before that i may suffer from sleep apnea but not aware.

Just don't want too think about going back to sleep or trying - too nervous.

debs71
30-09-10, 01:17
Hi cheesy pete,

I can understand your worry. It defo sounds to me like your chest is a bit congested and it is stubbornly sitting on your chest which is giving you the 'stuck' feeling. Also, when you have enlarged tonsil(s) it can make your breathing feel a bit constricted, particularly when lying sleeping and it is very possible you have had some sleep apnoea. When we see kids in the hospital with enlarged tonsils/adenoids before they have a tonsillectomy they almost all have a history of sleep apnoea, and like you say, often people don't know they have it. Snoring is a form of sleep apnoea too!

Try not to feel too nervous. You sound quite under the weather at the moment so things will feel quite exaggerated and worrying for you.

Another practical thing which will help is steaming. Just a bowl of hot water, preferably with some karvol capsules in it, just pop your head over it (with a towel covering your head) and inhale for a while. If you are tight chested it will really help loosen it.

Try for the moment if you can to lay back in bed and relax for a bit. If you can't sleep, a hot drink and a read may just help you settle again.x

cheesy pete
30-09-10, 01:26
Hi Debs,

Thanks very much. I find it really help to share your worries. Feel a lot calmer if not wide awake now! Hot drink sounds like a good idea!