PDA

View Full Version : PSYCHOLOGY 1958/ INTERESTING.

benoo5
02-03-04, 22:45
WAS HAVING A COFFEE BREAK,THIS MORNING,AND FOUND A COPY OF PSYCHOLOGY MAGAZINE,DATED JUNE 1958,OUR HOSPITALS ARE REALLY UP TO DATE,WITH READING MATTER LOL.

WAS BROUSING THROUGH IT TONITE,AND FOUND A REALLY INTERESTING ARTICLE,ABOUT ANXIETY,AND FEAR,ITS A LONG ARTICLE,BUT IME GOING TO CONDENSE IT,JUST TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF ITS CONTENTS,AND ALSO TO ASK THE QUESTION, HOW FAR ADVANCED ARE WE,COMPARED TO 46YRS AGO?

PART1/ WHAT ARE WE SEEKING FROM LIFE?...WRITE DOWN POSITIVE THOUGHTS ONLY...FOR INSTANCE,I WANT TO FEEL NORMAL...DO NOT WRITE IME FED UP WITH NOT BEING NORMAL...WRITE,I WANT TO RID MYSELF OF ANXIETY...DO NOT WRITE...IME FED UP WITH BEING ANXIOUS ALL THE TIME!
NOW WRITE DOWN OUR POSITIVE THOUGHTS INTO AFFIRMATIONS!

PART2/ DEEP RELAXATION......SIT DOWN,IN A COMFORTABLE CHAIR,AWAY FROM TELEPHONE,RADIO,NOISES,AND INTERUPTIONS,AND NO BRIGHT LIGHTS.
NOW JUST LET YOUR WHOLE BODY FLOP..NOW,STARTING WITH YOUR FEET,WORKING THE WHOLE BODY,CONCENTRATE ON EVERY MUSCLE,UNTIL THEY FEEL HEAVY,DONT BE SATISFIED,UNTIL THEY FEEL AS HEAVY AS LEAD.
NOW SAY SOFTLY...IME GOING TO COUNT SLOWLY TO 5,AND AS I DO SO,I WILL GET HEAVIER,AND HEAVIER..DO IT SEVERAL TIMES,UNTIL YOUR WHOLE BODY FEELS LIKE A TON OF LEAD....NOW YOU WILL FIND,PEACE HAS COME,FEEL IT,AND ENJOY IT,SINK INTO IT,AS YOU WOULD A WONDERFUL SPA.

PART3/ NOW,SLOWLY,DELIBERATELY,REPEAT YOUR AFFIRMATIONS I AM NOT ANXIOUS,I HAVE NO FEAR,I SHALL BE CONFIDENT,AND INSPIRE IT,I SHALL REMEMBER,AND FEEL THIS DEEPLY TOMORROW..TOMORROW,WILL BE A REMARKABLE DAY...SAY THIS OVER,AND OVER AGAIN,QUIETLY,CONFIDENTLY,SLOWLY,FOUR OR FIVE TIMES,REMEMBER YOUR IN A POWERFUL STATE OF RELAXATION.

NOW BRING YOURSELF BACK TO NORMAL,BY SAYING...WHEN I HAVE COUNTED SLOWLY DOWN,FROM 5 TO ZERO,I SHALL BE FULLY AWAKE,AND WILL FEEL RELAXED,AND CONFIDENT...5 4 3 2 1 ..YOU CAN EXPECT ASTONISHING RESULTS.

NOT BAD FOR 1958..YEH.........BEST WISHES..BRYAN.

nomorepanic
02-03-04, 23:15
Bryan

THE CAPS LOCK IS A BIT TOO MUCH - LOL

Nicola

benoo5
02-03-04, 23:49
i was half way through before i noticed,and as i can only type with one finger,i didnt want to re write..sorry.

bryan.

nomorepanic
03-03-04, 22:39
Oh poor Bryan - we need to get you on a typing course - lol

Nicola

sadie
03-03-04, 22:59
Hi Bryan,

Sounds quite good.....will give it a go and see what happens!!

Hope your well.

sadie

benoo5
04-03-04, 23:43
thanks sadie,

i just felt it was great,considering it was written 46yrs ago...i can imagine a hypnotherapist using the same technique today..wot does that say?

medicine has moved on/but have alterate therapies?

best wishes...bryan.

twister
05-03-04, 00:38
I think we understand a bit more about anxiety than we did back then. Those guidelines sound a bit simple to me - dismissing the idea of anxiety as needing to relax maybe? Especially as these are just relaxation techniques. I think that was the typical view back then and it seems now too with a lot of people!

Emily

Lottie32
05-03-04, 14:32
Too right Em

If my mum tells me to take a deep breath and relax once more, I swear I'll kill her!

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Laurie28
05-03-04, 14:46
I agree to a certain extent with you em/charlie,
but i will say alot of my anxiety may come from my inability to relax

Lucky