PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety when on holiday

jaded jean
30-09-10, 07:31
After being off work for 8 months I started back nearly 3 months ago. I work so hard at dong everything right, I dont cut corners I ensure evrything is right-to the letter. it is mentally exhausting as it stays with me when I finish for the day. I get told that I am doing my work extremely fast as the previous girl could not cope saying there wasnt enought time to do everything. I am 20 odd years older than her by the way. I have a forceful personality at times so I really push myself to get things done
, when I have annual leave tho the anxiety is there bang!! as soon as I wake up its the continous thoughts -silly thoughts and it drives me mad sometimes I get upset as it wont stop , Ithought being back at work my mind would retain relevant information but I get all jumbled things going thru my head its awful,why is this still happening does anyone know?? when I was off work I could accept it even then that I was just sitting in front of the tv and taking in rubbish,But why is it still continuing?? I have had a few counselling sessions but it seemed very weak and I didnt think I was getting anywhere. I am fully aware of the huge waiting list for cbt so I dont know what other avenue to go down.
Jean:shrug::shrug:

Vixxy
30-09-10, 10:02
Hi Jean. CBT isnt that hard to do on your own. The majority of the work is done by you even if you do see a therapist.
I would advise you get a CBT book. Ive got CBT for dummies, which is really good!
For now though, buy yourself a small notebook and a pen and carry it with you all the time. Every time you get one of those thoughts write it down and rate it from 0-100% on how much you believe it. At the end of the week you can look at the thoughts that are closest to 100 and do a for and against arguement for whether the thought it true or false. The majority of these thoughts will be based on hardly anything factual.
For instance
Hot thought - If I go out of the house I will have a panic attack
For - Ive had a panic attack outside before
Against - I have panic attacks in the house too. Theres no difference
etc etc

Hope that helps.

heavenly
30-09-10, 10:20
Hi Jean. CBT isnt that hard to do on your own. The majority of the work is done by you even if you do see a therapist.
I would advise you get a CBT book. Ive got CBT for dummies, which is really good!
For now though, buy yourself a small notebook and a pen and carry it with you all the time. Every time you get one of those thoughts write it down and rate it from 0-100% on how much you believe it. At the end of the week you can look at the thoughts that are closest to 100 and do a for and against arguement for whether the thought it true or false. The majority of these thoughts will be based on hardly anything factual.
For instance
Hot thought - If I go out of the house I will have a panic attack
For - Ive had a panic attack outside before
Against - I have panic attacks in the house too. Theres no difference
etc etc

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the helpful post. I am 6 weeks in with counselling, its really helping, and she is doing CBT with me, as well as general talking counselling. I am writing it down when I feel anxious, I do find it helpful. Whereas before, I just panicked when I felt a bit panicky and it just escalated.