PDA

View Full Version : beta blockers? how helpfull please

eloise14
30-09-10, 11:00
hi, had GAD for 4 months now and tried lots of meds which didnt really help, the only ones that do are Diazapam which help take the edge off my daily shaky terrified im dying self. i also suffer awful tinitus and flickery vision and light headidness which adds to it all, all from anxiety i guess and hope!! i dont want to become addicted to diazapam although they seem great so thought i might try beta blockers and would be really grateful of any info, eg do they work do they take off the edge and this horrible fast internal pulse i feel, thats another question is that a palpitaion, it can last all day with me like a really fast pulse but not my reall one, many thanks desperatley seeking help!!!! xxx

PokerFace
30-09-10, 12:13
Hey eloise, I've been to the doctor twice since my health anxiety started and he's given me beta blockers (propranolol) both times 30mg a day but if I feel that doesnt work I can start taking 60mg a day. They definatley take the edge off a racing heart, I used to be able to feel my heart beat in every inch of me it was going that fast and hard but since the beta blockers I can't feel it at all unless I activley try to find it! I seem to get a lot less missed beats too, I don't know if you're prone to getting them but it's like when you get a massive bang in your chest. I still get them ocasionally though! ;(

Theres a description of palpitations on this site here that you might find useful! http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/palpitations/

xx

Hazel B
30-09-10, 12:29
I have Propranolol 40mg x 3 times a day and it has stopped my heart racing from over 120bpm and helped my anxiety. It blocks the "adrenalin panic mode".

eloise14
30-09-10, 12:34
thank you so much guys will defo give a try, will try anything to beat this awful thing that has invaded my life, by the way any side affects? xx

PokerFace
30-09-10, 12:40
I had a few when my body was getting used to them, nothing serious though! Just felt like my head was too big for my body and I'd feel a bit sick and dizzy and grumpy not too bad at all though only lasted about a week. xx

Hazel B
30-09-10, 12:46
It's hard for me to say, as I felt so bad with anxiety! Maybe a bit more headachey but the benefit is worth it to me as I needed to calm down.

Kerry B
30-09-10, 13:05
Hi I don't want to put you off taking them but, I had Proponolol 40mg per day was only on them 10 days, as I was constantly dizzy and had headrushes I couldnt even bend my head or look straight up, they also make me feel very tired. This head rushes apparantaly where because the Proponolol had make me have low blood pressure.

PokerFace
30-09-10, 13:09
Yea propranolol lowers your blood pressure which can have some nasty side effects as Kerry experienced, if you get these just go back to your doctor and ask for a lower dosage. xx

sketchyboots
30-09-10, 14:46
I found propranalol really helpful for my driving anxiety, big trips out etc, but they can cause depression and tiredness. I try to take them only when I really need them. They are very helpful for anxiety though. You should never take them if you have asthma though as they can be dangerous. Check out the side-effects listed on the leaflet in the packet they came in or go online for more info on side-effects. Good luck x

ginny
30-09-10, 15:40
Well, beta blockers work because they block noradreneline and are supposed to reduce anxiety symptoms. But my personal view is that putting chemicals in your body long term can only cause more imbalance. Have a look at the web site Depression can be Fun where there are some great helpful tips on how to deal with anxiety. You should look at taking a good Vitamin B complex, magnesium, zinc and 2 to 3 bananas a day for the potassium. Also take a product called Filisa which contains GABA. This gives you a feeling of being in control and calmness with no chemical side effects.

blueangel
30-09-10, 23:42
Hi there

Just to add to what the others have said, beta blockers can be very useful if you find the physical symptoms of anxiety are getting you down. They damp down the racing pulse and general shakiness. However, if you do take them regularly at more than a low dose, make sure that you don't stop taking them suddenly or you can get rebound effects. If you taper them off, then they're absolutely fine.

I have taken them for a number of years as I suffer with severe migraines, but I've always found that they help my anxiety as well.

AbbyH
01-10-10, 02:29
Wow that's great information. My BIGGEST and scariest anxiety symptom is a racing heart, I also have skipped heart beats. I do smoke though, I wonder if it would be okay to take still. Will check into it with my doctor.

PokerFace
01-10-10, 06:18
I smoke and I take them with no problems! xx

eloise14
01-10-10, 08:33
thanks again great info, when you say racing heart beat is it really racing or just a feeling that it is cos i have this racing feeling inside and when i take my pulse its fast but not that fast x

Hazel B
01-10-10, 12:07
For me, my pulse was 120bpm and it should be 63bpm, also my heart felt like it would jump out of my chest and I had shaky hands.

I'm hoping the beta-blockers are temporary but needed them as I had been on high anxiety for too long. Now I'm calmer I can learn how to beat it.

olderfella
01-10-10, 20:01
A quick note for anyone who is asthmatic,i was told by my gp that i couldnt have betablockers because i am asthmatic ,i did some asking around and was told by a pharmacology student to ask my doctor for nebivolol which i did she looked it up and said your info is correct,i have started my nebivolol today,nebivolol does not affect the receptors in the lungs :)