PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks need help

buttonbox
30-09-10, 14:42
Having a really bad time with panic attacks. Struggling for months to drive to work then on Monday had to pull over as it was so bad - chest pain, jelly legs, pins and needles, vomiting etc. Couldn't move from where I was so had to phone work to tell them, so embarrassing. Same symptoms on Tues and Weds but managed to just get to work in time before my hands went into claws/spasms. Not at work now until Monday but how am I going to start another week again?:wacko: On Fluoxetine since July for anxiety and depression, 20mg initially. 4 weeks ago my doctor upped the dose to 40mg and I seem to be worse. Only way I seem to be able to stop the panic attacks from going full blown is to self-harm but that's not always possible depending upon where I am when it starts. Is Fluoxetine to blame for my worsening symtoms? Scared to stop taking them in case I'm even worse.

paula lynne
30-09-10, 16:34
Hi Im sorry you are feeling so ill, and that your tabs arent doing the job. Any chance you can see gp for 5 mins before you go back to work?? It may be that the increased dose just hasnt kicked in yet hun. As for self-harming, I used to do it before a period. Not anymore. Can I just say, you mentioned you do it when having a full blown panic, and it seems to help. You DO NOT need to self-harm, the panic will GO AWAY ON ITS OWN. I know its a coping mechanism, but honestly love, panic will subside without self-harming. Try not doing it next time, youll see the panic will just calm down anyway.
I hope you feel better soon and the tabs start helping you. x:flowers:

jude uk
30-09-10, 18:12
Make an appointment with your Dr to talk over any concerns that you may have. Most meds do take time to kick in and it may be that this increase could be related to how you feel but your Dr will be able to give you that advise.

Xavier
30-09-10, 19:50
Seriously when you say you self harm what do you mean you do and why does this work to stop the panic?
If you can figure out why this helps you just maybe you'd then see how to stop the panic without actually hurting yourself :shrug:

tambo12
06-10-10, 13:51
there are many ways to beat this condision .
I have had panic attacks and anxiety for 12 years .
I tried everything but it came down to me standing up to myself in the end .
You have to belive that you are stronger than the attacks .
I know they are scary and I know that you fell like your dying , but your not and they do pass.
Try to let it pass over you like a wave , the attack will happen but the more you fight it the worse it my feel .breath deep and try to let it pass .
this may help you as well http//tinyurl.com/2w5ngap