PDA

View Full Version : What did my doctor mean??

Lou 1
30-09-10, 14:49
I saw my Gp yesterday as i keep getting really bad dizzy spells.
I have been referred to the ENT and have my appointment next week.
I wa speaking to my doctor about how i feel and he said he thinks i need further investigations so that i can see what is 'not' wrong with me, and he thinks this will help me feel better.

When i asked him if my diziness could be the sign of anything serious, he said 'i would be very suprised if it was, but see the ENT next week and see what they say'

I left the room feeling quite positive but now im freaking out, he obviously thinks i need further investigations, and if it wasnt anything serious wouldnt he have said NO rather than, he'd be suprised if it was...

Why cant i just accept his answer.. the stupid what ifs are just taking over :(

kwissy
30-09-10, 14:57
Hey Lou
From reading your post, it seems that the doctor does not feel that there is a problem but is sending you to the ENT for your own peace of mind. Hopefully you will acheive this when the results WILL come back all clear. I know how u feeling at the moment as suffering with health anxiety. Stay strong x x

sammi
30-09-10, 14:58
Oh hun that's anxiety for us the stupid what ifs taking over. Dizzyness is a symptom of anxiety be reasured by that until you go to ent. The fact that your doctor said he would be suprised if it was down to something serious is also reasuring. I completely understand why your anxious for example I went to the docs this morning with chest pain he said it can't be my heart because I've had all the tests by a cardiologist I came out feelin positive now I'm thinkin what if the tests missed something but that's the anxiety for you. I'm sure you will be fine. Xx

lollypopgirl1981
30-09-10, 15:03
hi lou, its so funny to read what you wrote because i think like that, ive been have dizzy spells for 4 years now im only 29 so convinced myself it was something bad, brain tumor etc...when i first got it, my doc has said things like i can send you for a ct scan or mri scan and i was like " do you think i need it" my doc said no so i said then i dont want to have it done, i have a fear of tests and scans...she just said it anxiety and vertigo and when i mentioned i had a bit of a neck ache she sent me for physio which did stop my dizzys foe 10 weeks but then back again, then when i was pregant with my daughter who is now 21 months old i didnt get dizzy when pregant, so im convinced its something to do with my monthly as always notice it a week before due get bad dizzy for about a week every day... sometimes its lasted longer, but then im sure im remembering who the dizzy feels and naturally thinking iam....so bit of anxiety as well....i really honestly wouldnt worry, dizzys are really common for so many normal things...neck problems, hormones, ear infections, sinus proplems, anxiety is the biggest going by people on here....try not to worry and try not to concerntrate on the dizzy spells to much... hope it passes soon. x

Nigel
30-09-10, 15:04
Hi Lou,

It’s sounds like everything’s ok, and I think doctors adopt that sort of wording because they cannot be absolutely 100 percent certain without seeing the test result. He’s just covering himself, and probably didn’t realise how his words would be interpreted by a person with anxiety. But the important thing to focus on is:

“...he said he thinks i need further investigations so that i can see what is 'not' wrong with me, and he thinks this will help me feel better.”

Take care,
Nigel

debs71
30-09-10, 15:12
Lou, did he say why he was referring you to ENT and in relation to what? I can't see him going through the whole referral process if he didn't have good reason for an ENT referral.

The reason I ask is if he saw anything if he checked your ears, as dizziness can be related to an inner ear problem.

Lou 1
30-09-10, 15:22
Thanks guys, i know im being really silly but i just get such an intens wave of panic and fear by thinking things like ' I know its something serious, i wont be here for long' that i cant help thinking about things the doctor says.

Lou 1
30-09-10, 15:25
Hi Debs, it wasnt the GP i saw yesterday that referred me.. it was a different GP who i saw around 4 weeks ago that referred me.
Id been on a course of antibiotics as another doctor (i never get to see the same doctor at my surgery!!) said my ears were a little bit red.
I took the antibiotics but was still feeling dizzy so went back to the doctors, and thats when i was referred.

I went back yesterday because i was so overwhelmed with worry and panic - even though i have my ENT app. I know im silly to keep going back to the docs. The doctor i saw checked my ears and said they looked ok??
But they dont feel ok, i get ringing and buzzing in them and they feel full of water and like there's a lot of pressure in there. x

countrygirl
30-09-10, 17:02
sounds like an inner ear problem which can give horrible symptoms but nothing terrible causing it. I have dizziness caused by neck trouble and about 10 yrs ago like you was referred to ent because of vertigo, noises, pressure etc in mostly my left ear - I was sent for mri of brain to rule out accoustic neuroma which is a benign growth on your ear nerve so don't freak out if the ent suggests a scan they tend to check this. Have you got any deafness in one ear only??? Menierres can give you this but again this is what ent is for. Mine turned out to be just wonky neck so nothing ent could do. I also get terrible stabbing pains in ears as well and again its my bad neck.

Really understand how you feel as I am waiting for utlrasound of my breasts to check abnormality in both breasts seriously freaky!

debs71
30-09-10, 17:34
Hi Debs, it wasnt the GP i saw yesterday that referred me.. it was a different GP who i saw around 4 weeks ago that referred me.
Id been on a course of antibiotics as another doctor (i never get to see the same doctor at my surgery!!) said my ears were a little bit red.
I took the antibiotics but was still feeling dizzy so went back to the doctors, and thats when i was referred.

I went back yesterday because i was so overwhelmed with worry and panic - even though i have my ENT app. I know im silly to keep going back to the docs. The doctor i saw checked my ears and said they looked ok??
But they dont feel ok, i get ringing and buzzing in them and they feel full of water and like there's a lot of pressure in there. x

Oh ok hun, so based on your red ears before and your continued dizziness it looks like they are erring on the side of caution and sending you to ENT just to make sure. Well that's good then, as at least they will hopefully rule out any more complex inner ear problem that's causing it.xx

I'm sure it will all work out ok for you.xx

Lou 1
30-09-10, 19:03
Thanks everyone, i really aprreciate your support x

becky000
30-09-10, 20:24
hi lou, its so funny to read what you wrote because i think like that, ive been have dizzy spells for 4 years now im only 29 so convinced myself it was something bad, brain tumor etc...when i first got it, my doc has said things like i can send you for a ct scan or mri scan and i was like " do you think i need it" my doc said no so i said then i dont want to have it done, i have a fear of tests and scans...she just said it anxiety and vertigo and when i mentioned i had a bit of a neck ache she sent me for physio which did stop my dizzys foe 10 weeks but then back again, then when i was pregant with my daughter who is now 21 months old i didnt get dizzy when pregant, so im convinced its something to do with my monthly as always notice it a week before due get bad dizzy for about a week every day... sometimes its lasted longer, but then im sure im remembering who the dizzy feels and naturally thinking iam....so bit of anxiety as well....i really honestly wouldnt worry, dizzys are really common for so many normal things...neck problems, hormones, ear infections, sinus proplems, anxiety is the biggest going by people on here....try not to worry and try not to concerntrate on the dizzy spells to much... hope it passes soon. x

Thankyou for posting this, it's given me some peace of mine about my dizziness must say. If you've had it for so long, why should I worry about having it for a month. Maybe I'll even get some sleep tonight.
Thanks so much for putting my mind at rest,
Becky