PDA

View Full Version : Sparks in vision

dodo
01-10-10, 11:28
Does anyone ever get very quick very small sparks of white in their vision? This is really freaking me out and everything I've seen seems to point to MS. I can be doing nothing at all and these sparks just appears briefly for a couple of seconds and then go. I had my eyes tested this week and that didn't show anything up but I'm sure they don't pick everything up anyway.

carli
01-10-10, 11:33
Hiya, read my posts hun. I have had this for over 2 years. Did a lot of research but never saw anything relating to ms! What did it say? xx

dodo
01-10-10, 11:37
I can't remember without looking again which I don't want to but it said something like less frequently this could be sign of multiple sclerosis.

How often do you get yours? People keep saying migraine to me but I'm pretty sure it's not because it is just so random.

dodo
01-10-10, 12:02
Here we go. Do people get this who don't have MS. I am crying now at the thought I could have had a stroke or MS:

Phosphenes are brief spots of light brought on by eye movement (movement phosphenes) or sudden noises (sound phosphenes) and which last for less than a couple of seconds. Such phosphenes are often associated with optic neuritis (http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/opticneuritis.html) and are caused by mechanical aggravation of a damaged or inflamed optic nerve. They are usually more obvious in low light conditions.
Flashes of light can also be associated with other medical problems in addition to optic neuritis including a detached retina, compressive optic neuropathy and stroke. They can originate from retinal cells as well as from the optic nerve and under such circumstances may prelude a detached retina. They can also be induced by very strong magnetic fields.
In optic neuritis, movement phosphenes are usually brought on by side-to-side movement of the eye. In origin, they resemble L'Hermitte's symptom (http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/LHermittessign.html) (electrical shock or buzzing sensations brought on by lowering the head towards the chest). Both symptoms are caused by mechanical aggravation of injured nerves. Both sensations tail off with repeated movement but will reappear after several second's or minute's rest. Movement phosphenes can sometimes be induced weeks or months after vision has all but completely recovered but it is rare for them to continue for a year after the initial attack of optic neuritis.

rubynoodles
01-10-10, 12:22
Yes I get this.

It comes on all of a sudden sometimes in the one eye and sometimes in the other but never in the same eye at the same time. The only way I can discribe it is that it is as though someone has flashed a camera in my eye but on a much smaller scale. I notice it mainly if I blink at something light coloured like the sky, a wall or tv screen. It doesnt move and slowly disappears after a few seconds.

Ive had it now for several years and it really bothers me, ive had my eyes tested by several different opticians but they just shrug their shoulders when I mention it.

The only thing I think it could be related to is migraine. When I was pregant with both my children I experienced migraine with aura which took away half my vision for an hour or so, this is simular but in a much much smaller way. I hate it though as I get it several times a week and it really worries me

KK77
01-10-10, 14:12
Dr Google really should be avoided in such matters... Every sensory disturbance - ie numbness, tingling, twitches, weakness, vision distortion etc - seems to lead to MS or some other nasty, incurable, progressive disease, when in fact it can be caused by a whole host of benign reasons, anxiety being a major one.

Please avoid torturing yourself in this way. If you have concerns speak to your doctor but don't let the internet be your guide. It cannot examine you and therefore cannot diagnose you.

As for the original question. Seeing flashes of light if you move your eyes quickly is not as far as I know harmful unless it's sudden, intense and accompanied by pain in which case you should seek medical advice.

Floaters and what you're experiencing is sometimes common if you're slightly myopic (short-sighted) so please don't worry.

dodo
01-10-10, 17:01
OK so GP has said again it could be normal and I'm only noticing it because of a hightened awareness. But it could me migraine. I still dispute the migraine theory but it isn't anything serious apparently either way.

PanchoGoz
01-10-10, 18:42
I get this iff I look from something light to something black straight away. A little pin prick of light. Its just a natural reaction that people notice sometimes.

DANRST
01-10-10, 18:46
I also suffer from these flashes of light and before i realised i suffered from anxiety actually triggered my panic attacks, i seem to suffer from them more when i'm tied or hungry.

dodo
01-10-10, 18:53
I think that most people ahve them and I have only just been aware of them. I really don't think it's a migraine, but you can't tell Drs that can you ;) There is no pattern to them, they are completely random. If I blink they go away if I get one. Exactly like a pin prick of light.

KK77
01-10-10, 19:03
Dodo, you seem to be having a dialogue with yourself. Did you even read my post above because you seem to have completely ignored it - along with others here?

DANRST
01-10-10, 19:10
These flashes really concerned me too becaused they seemed to be so random but after reading these posts i'm know pretty convinced there realated to anxiety.

dodo
01-10-10, 20:26
I wasn't ignoring anyone, I was giving an update of what the Dr said when I went to my app today and then I agreed with a poster about them being pinprick flashes.

KK77
01-10-10, 20:55
I wasn't ignoring anyone, I was giving an update of what the Dr said when I went to my app today and then I agreed with a poster about them being pinprick flashes.

How dismissive. Is "Thank you" too much for you to muster? Do you think we get paid to reply to people?

Good luck anyway

Fly away Katie
01-10-10, 22:22
Ive had those before, when sitting up too quickly.. somtimes my eyes go completely blind for a few seconds.. its bloomin weird x x x

dodo
01-10-10, 22:28
I think that's a well known cause of them isn't it Katie. Not very pleasant I agree.

carli
02-10-10, 17:45
Hi dodo, its not related to ms as its not optic nerosis (spelt wrong) The dr would pick that one up. I have just seen a professer regarding these sparks ans he says it hypersensativity, i have became over aware and its perfectly normal but 90% of people arent aware of it. He did some test and has prescribed tint glasses. I collect them next week so i will kepp you updated to let you know if they work. Can be very alarming when u fisrt get them but after a while something new comes along :ohmy: I have mine there constantly, particually worse when looking at light backgrounds on in bright rooms. I too suffer from optic migraines and have been told they can leave a constant lingering effect. I hope you feeling better about this. xx

dodo
02-10-10, 22:58
Thanks for your post that is really interesting. Will love to hear how you get on with your glasses. I had migraine aura when I was pregnant (they were wiggly lines though) and it is since then that I have suffered with these dots. But I wasn't aware they may have been linked. I have been trying to annoy them and they don't affect my vision, but I had a really big one early whcih threw me a little. Sometimes I can have a few in a row but other days I can get perhaps half a dozen all day/.

Franz
02-10-10, 23:15
I get this when I'm stressed and have tension headaches. When I'm stressed my vision generally goes a bit strange. I get pronounced "afterglow" after looking at an object for a long while. I don't worry about it.