PDA

View Full Version : Constant Itching

GirlAfraid23
01-10-10, 13:06
Okay so over the past few weeks I have had constant itching, it is in various places on my body and lasts for a few minutes at a time, sometimes hours. I am driving myself insane. I don't want to itch it because I know that makes it worse plus I am covered in scratch marks and have madde myself bleed several times. Been to the GP a few times now and they dont know what it is. I have taken pririton and a stronger anti-histamine and neither have helped.

Creams dont help and nothing relieves it.
I am so depressed and just want to die. Its the worst feeling.

I also get a burning and tingling senstation in my skin and also a pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet :( which makes me think I have MS

dodo
01-10-10, 13:11
Have have started getting this recently. I believe for me it is a change in the weather as I always get it when we start having the central heating on. My hands also itch a lot after I've washed them.

Sometimes it is much worse at night and I can just sit and scratch and scratch all over. The more you scratch the more itching appears. I also scratch so much sometimes that it brings up little specks on blood to the top of the skin and I don't see them at the time and see them the next day and think I'm starting with meninigitis or soemthing!!! Doh.

GirlAfraid23
01-10-10, 14:42
Have have started getting this recently. I believe for me it is a change in the weather as I always get it when we start having the central heating on. My hands also itch a lot after I've washed them.

Sometimes it is much worse at night and I can just sit and scratch and scratch all over. The more you scratch the more itching appears. I also scratch so much sometimes that it brings up little specks on blood to the top of the skin and I don't see them at the time and see them the next day and think I'm starting with meninigitis or soemthing!!! Doh.

Are you worried about yours?

ditzygirl
01-10-10, 15:59
Have you changed washing powder/soap ? it could be an allergy to something maybe even something your eating ?

Have you had your thyroid checked ? under active thyroid can make your skin feel itchy ?

dodo
01-10-10, 17:00
No I'm not worried about mine as I know this happens every year to me. Just annoying. Although it is quite satisifying to have a good old scratch lol.

GirlAfraid23
01-10-10, 17:32
Have you changed washing powder/soap ? it could be an allergy to something maybe even something your eating ?

Have you had your thyroid checked ? under active thyroid can make your skin feel itchy ?
Nope havent changed anything. Got an appointment with the dermo on weds. Ive been having strange stabbing and pins and needles too especially in my hands and feet also like water has been thrown on me. Of course im worried it could be MS. Or cancer or another brain or nervous system thing. I recently had blood work done - everything checked and everything fine. Do you think something may have formed in the last few weeks as i had it 3 weeks ago

dodo
01-10-10, 17:48
Very unlikely that anything would have changed in such a short amount of time.

Fly away Katie
01-10-10, 19:05
I get itchy aswell. Like really bad. My back and feet itch so badly in bed that it keeps me awake for hours... and the more I try to ignore it, the worse it feels x

GirlAfraid23
01-10-10, 22:38
thanks for replying. No one has said anything about MS arent these symptoms typical?

dodo
01-10-10, 22:50
It has never crossed my mind that it would be MS. Someone has already said to me today that if you google almost any symptom it will come up with MS.

I'm pretty sure it's nothing serious but if you're worried why not have a chat with your Doc.

Maj
01-10-10, 23:00
The only thing that helps me if I am itching is an antihistamine. Have you tried any as there are loads now that do not have a sedative effect. :flowers:

GirlAfraid23
01-10-10, 23:28
The only thing that helps me if I am itching is an antihistamine. Have you tried any as there are loads now that do not have a sedative effect. :flowers: yeah ive tried a few and none helped :(

lauren6
02-10-10, 14:08
I have the same thing. I thought maybe I have scabies but have no symptoms of that and checked every inch of myself with a magnifying glass. The more I focus on it, the worse it gets. I was actually fine until I read this post and now scratching again. I have a back scratcher with velcro at the end and use the velcro which is VERY hard on my back but it relieves the itch. My back and feet are the worst and also keeps me up at night. I wake up and put Gold Bond powder on my feet and sometimes that helps but I think it's just something in my system, not from the outside.

I understand how this can make one crazy. I almost would rather have pain because you can take an aspirin or ibuprofen. When I get desperate, I take Benadryl and just want to escape with sleep. It is extremely depressing to think of life continuing like this. I think of going crazy, going to an emergency room and telling them I am being tortured by itching. If anyone finds a solution, please post. Nobody can understand who hasn't experienced this. Please don't think about MS...I know lots of people who itch a lot and none of them have MS.

GirlAfraid23
03-10-10, 15:09
I have the same thing. I thought maybe I have scabies but have no symptoms of that and checked every inch of myself with a magnifying glass. The more I focus on it, the worse it gets. I was actually fine until I read this post and now scratching again. I have a back scratcher with velcro at the end and use the velcro which is VERY hard on my back but it relieves the itch. My back and feet are the worst and also keeps me up at night. I wake up and put Gold Bond powder on my feet and sometimes that helps but I think it's just something in my system, not from the outside.

I understand how this can make one crazy. I almost would rather have pain because you can take an aspirin or ibuprofen. When I get desperate, I take Benadryl and just want to escape with sleep. It is extremely depressing to think of life continuing like this. I think of going crazy, going to an emergency room and telling them I am being tortured by itching. If anyone finds a solution, please post. Nobody can understand who hasn't experienced this. Please don't think about MS...I know lots of people who itch a lot and none of them have MS.

Thank you for this reply.

Its not just the itching that makes me think its MS, I have the burning in my skin and the constant pins and needles/tingling in my hands and feet. All which are definate symptoms of MS. Along with the itching of course

Jaguar
03-10-10, 17:21
Hi are you on any meds? I have had this on and off since being on citalopram .

becky000
03-10-10, 17:45
I had this awful itching earlier this year - mostly at night - and scratched until I bled. Turns out it was scabies which I had caught from my daughter who caught it at boarding school. It's quite easy to get rid of - get some benzyl benzoate lotion from chemist. Scabies is very contagious - can be caught anywhere. The itching can drive you mad!

katz41
26-12-10, 10:02
im itching all over today too...no idea, must be anxiety as i've been worrying myself silly lately about stuff, such is the nature of the beast!
i've taken some anti histamine and am just going to try and distract myself as much as possible
sorry to say it but glad i'm not alone on this one!

cyberbuddy
21-01-13, 23:11
Did you ever find a solution to the itching issue. I have this of late and am dying to get rid of it..please advise if you can...

Okay so over the past few weeks I have had constant itching, it is in various places on my body and lasts for a few minutes at a time, sometimes hours. I am driving myself insane. I don't want to itch it because I know that makes it worse plus I am covered in scratch marks and have madde myself bleed several times. Been to the GP a few times now and they dont know what it is. I have taken pririton and a stronger anti-histamine and neither have helped.

Creams dont help and nothing relieves it.
I am so depressed and just want to die. Its the worst feeling.

I also get a burning and tingling senstation in my skin and also a pins and needles feeling in my hands and feet :( which makes me think I have MS