PDA

View Full Version : Panic Attacks when eating and drinking in public

beth1290
02-10-10, 00:56
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site, just need some people to talk to because im sick of feeling so alone :weep:

I suffer from panic attacks alot, however they are usually triggered by particular 'fears' that I have developed. One main one being eating and drinking in front of certain people. Usually people who are not family or really close friends. I hate it so much because people as me to go out for a meal and I have to make up an excuse or suggest to do something else. It drives me mad! It's because I have a fear that I will get nervous and shake. So I have developed a fear of showing fear. The only person who knows is my boyfriend and he supports me alot but I don't think he realises how much it effects and bothers me and how I feel when it happens. He says he has never noticed it but thats because I am ok around him and I try to avoid all the situations when it can happen. I understand that its stupid and when I feel it starting to happen I think 'come on this is pathetic there is nothing to worry about' but there is another part of me which just switches on the panic and there is nothing I can do.
I've started to think about seeing a doctor because I have completely had enough. Does anyone have the same problem?
xxxxxxxxxx

WillowTree
02-10-10, 18:16
I don't suffer as extremely as you but I also find it very difficult to eat in front of people. I hate sitting round a table with people eating. I worry I'm going to choke.

I think it's definitely a good idea to see your doctor as some counselling may help you?

Also keep posting here cos it really helps and you're not alone!

Dahlia
02-10-10, 20:12
I don't have a fear of eating around people (but eating when out is an issue, as I feel nauseous when I'm anxious). One thing I will say though - when you have a panic attack, you don't actually look any different. My therapist uses a technique where she videos you having a panic attack, to show that no one would even guess. Yes, you might shake a little, but I bet no one would notice - or you could write it off as being a bit chilly.

Dahlia

beth1290
03-10-10, 17:15
Thank you so much for your replies. It means alot to me to know that other people are going through similar situations and getting advice from people who can actually understand is a great help :) It makes me feel not so alone anymore.

Beth xx

FireFlyyy
03-10-10, 19:19
I have this problem! I have anorexia and emetophobia, so the problem stems from both fearing others seeing me eat and fearing choking/vomiting in public. Im not half as bad as I used to be and am able to drink coffee and soft drinks in uncrowded places like pubs or cafe's…but in mall's or anywhere large I cant eat unless im near an exit or toilet.

Love to you x

beth1290
04-10-10, 20:58
Glad to hear you have progressed :) I hope one day I will be free from this anxiety. I keep thinking I will maybe grow out of it, I really hope I do anyway.

Much Love
Beth xx

Kell
05-10-10, 11:03
Hi Beth,

I can completely underdstand how you feel. When my anxiety flares up it makes me feel very nauseous & I am often sick. I pulled out of a meal last night because I couldn't face sitting in a restaurant. I have no appetite whatsoever at the moment.

It's strange how people are affected by different symptoms. In the beginning I only experienced anxiety in eating related social situations but over the years it's morphed into different things and is now more of a general anxiety.

I would advise you to go to the doctors if it is getting too much for you.

Take care

Kel
x

tambo12
06-10-10, 01:39
there are many ways to beat this condision .
I have had panic attacks for 12 years .
I tried everything but it came down to me standing up to myself in the end .
You have to belive that you are stronger than the attacks .
I know they are scary and I know that you fell like your dying , but your not and they do pass.
Try to let it pass over you like a wave , the attack will happen but the more you fight it the worse it my feel .breath deep and try to let it pass .
this may help you as well http//tinyurl.com/2w5ngap

london
04-07-11, 19:56
if people start looking at you when your eating
start picking you nose thay look away at 100 miles a hour
god bless

Tyke
06-07-11, 01:59
if people start looking at you when your eating
start picking you nose thay look away at 100 miles a hour
god bless
Well worth a try London, but it could be a real conversation stopper for the people you are sat with!!! :blush:

haynsey
07-07-11, 20:56
hiya,
I am the same as willowtree, i do not like eating in front of people at a restaurant because i might choke on the food...

Also my anxiety makes me feel nauseas, food is the last thing i want when i am really stressed.