PDA

View Full Version : Antidepressant

vernon
07-03-06, 09:47
Hi Just out of interest what time of the day do most of you take your antidepressants? I think most are just once a day and I take Cipralex 20mg in the morning before getting up. I always wake feeling really bad nausea and really fast pulse rate and sacred, but this goes as the day goes on, I would have thought once the medication is established in your system it don’t matter when you take them. Thanks all. Vernon

Robertc160882
07-03-06, 09:59
Hi Vernon,

I think the best time to take antidepressants is in the morning the reason for this is because it releases a chemical in your brain (happy juice). If you take it later in the day you may find yourself hyperactive it night time and unable to sleep. This is the main reason why most of us take ours in the morning. I have found my sleep to be badly affected and last night was the worse because I have a cold but it is meant to settle down after a 3-weeks.

Robert

vernon
07-03-06, 10:18
Thanks Rob. I do take mine in the morning and been on them about 8 months now. but a few years ago i was on antidepressants and took them at night. Maybe just different people have different reactions. thanks Vernon

Robertc160882
07-03-06, 10:22
As far as I’m aware you take Provac at night but the ones you are on are to be taken in the morning. I don’t know the exact reason if I get more than 2 minutes with my GP he might tell me one day.

tara
07-03-06, 11:35
Hi Vern, I was told by my doc to take my citalopram in the night, but me, i took then in the morning when I woke up!

vernon
07-03-06, 12:15
thanks Tara, Guess I will just have a go trying them at night, can always go back to am if any different.

Ma Larkin
07-03-06, 13:35
Hi Vernon, don't most anti-deps have a sedative in them, that's why you are advised to take them at night? I must admit, I was on clomipramine recently. I was advised to take them an hour before going to bed, I was awake all night! I've never been advised to take tablets in the morning, yet the majority of tablets always say take with food, who wants food an hour before you go to bed! I'm no expert but aren't you supposed to take tablets at the same time every day, regardless of whether its morning, noon or night? I presume this is to keep the meds at the same regulation in your body all the time. If you feel nauseous & have a fast pulse, but it wears off throughout the day when you take your tablet in a morning, why not switch to trying them at night & see how you feel then?

Hope you find the balance.

Les

Robertc160882
07-03-06, 13:57
Hi,

Anti depressants contain a stimulant in them although some of the older ones do have a sedative in them. The way they work is very similar to cocaine and ecstasy they release chemicals in our brain (happy juice but only a smaller amount over a longer period.) I know many doctors due to the type of work I do and I have asked a lot of them what the actual affect is on the brain and it is actually not known by a lot of GP what the actually do to our brain.

tracyp584
07-03-06, 16:43
Hi,

I'm on clomipramine, and take mine at night time!

tracy x x

Every time you avoid your fears they become stronger,every time you face your fears they become weaker.

vernon
08-03-06, 11:14
Thanks all

Phill2
09-03-06, 10:42
I'm on 10mg Cipralex and was told to take them in the morning

Don't believe everything you think.

vernon
09-03-06, 13:16
thanks jullip