PDA

View Full Version : Sertraline, headaches, uping doses - SOS :)

skin
03-10-10, 12:44
I've been put on 50mg about two weeks ago. Dr Google told me that Sertraline has nasty side effects so I decided to only take 25mg. After convincing myself that the drug is not going to kill me, I am now thinking of uping the dose to the intened 50mg my psych told me to take. Can anyone tell me from their own experience if the nasty side effects will come back for a few days, like when I first started? I'm not really scared that they will, I just want to be prepared (or am I?!).

Now for the second question - I've been having headaches on and off + usual pains regarding some chronic sinus infections. I'm not able to see my psych until next week and at times I really-really want to take Paracetamol or something for the headaches. Does anyone know of any interactions between the two?

PS: I'm also on 1mg of Ativan / day.

ditzygirl
03-10-10, 22:03
I would imagine the side effects will come back but just because Dr Google lists nasty side effects doesn't mean to say you will suffer any or all of them.

I am now 7 weeks into 50mg of sertraline and the first 10 days were pretty rough - drowsy so didn't drive, no appetite and feeling sick, increased anxiety. But after 2 weeks I felt like a different person.

I have previously tried prozac and citalopram and have a dreadful first 6 weeks with both.

Different drugs effect people differently and from experience the drug companies list the very worst scenario to cover themselves - its not beyond them to contradict themselves in their info!!!!!

Have you tried taking the drug at night ? eating little and often and then see how you feel ?

Not sure if any of this will help - but I can confirm Sertraline is making all the difference to me so hope it does for you toox

skin
04-10-10, 11:03
Thanks or the reply, ditzygirl.

The side effects weren't SO bad when I started... I kept calling on my pshyc's cell phone asking him: can sertraline do this to me? And he almost always answered "No, that is not possible, it's just your anxiety". He has a 20 year experience with the drug an told me from the begining: "I know you are going to google the side effects even if I tell you not to do it. You will find that sertraline and all other SSRIs can give ALL the side effects known to man. That is not quite true. Trust me, I have a 10 year experience with using it on my patients." He actually asked me to "pick" the least worse side effects and obsess on those, so I just get them, not others :)). Sounds crazy, I know, but I was a wreck when I started taking the meds - didn't eat more than 500 calories / day, lost 10kg etc. so my anxiety/depression/pd were at there worse.

I think I'll just come clean and tell him next time I see him that I did not take 50mg but that I'll start now...

I too feel like a different person - but not quite the person I was or would like to be again, so I deffinately need to up the dosage. Thanks again and waiting for other replies aswell.

josparks
04-10-10, 11:34
been on sert 100 for 4 months now dont feel much different from when i started apart from now im eatin so thats the only benifit i get waitin to see pysc to see wot he says he may give me something else or add to them i still suffer ha bad so i reacon mine arnt workin very well for me