PDA

View Full Version : nervous feeling - citalopram?

LiquidSky
04-10-10, 09:39
Hi,
Just wanted to ask to all those on citalopram, whether this annoying feeling is normal.
I've been on citalopram for 6 weeks now 10mg dose, I seem to have a constant nervous, almost weak feeling around my heart and that side of my chest and get a weird gushing heart beat occasionally, almost like a vibration. The faint, weak nervous feeling, I feel more when I move around, or go out for a walk (actually feels like my heart is going to stop or something, which I know it isn't) and the gushing heart beat I get when I'm relaxing.
Now, before I started taking citalopram, I didn't have these sensations, that I remember, so I wanted to know if anyone has experienced these and linked it to citalopram? whether they are a side effect that will eventually settle down, or whether I really should consider a change of SSRI. I do seem prone to side effects in drugs for some reason.
Any comments would be appreciated.

PokerFace
04-10-10, 10:02
Mornin :)

I'm not on Cit but I did read it makes you worse before yu start to feel better, but whenn it start to work is life changing. I get all that heart/chest symtoms too, I think it rly is being anxious and nervous! Maybe stick to cit for anotha week or so and see how you feel then go back to the docs if its makin you feel this horrible xxx

Anth
04-10-10, 18:41
I've been on and off citalopram twice now. The first time it really was wonderfull, it worked and I felt great also coming off it was very easy. But when I almost has a breakdown and went back on it, it took longer to work.
Yes there are side effects but it is a drug that really helps.I often felt like a coled sprong, but didnt have the panic. I sometimes felt liek I had loads of energy and when I first started taking them I was on such a high I'd float off and fall asleep.

Its not a cure though. As I am now finding out and about to go back on it again....fortunately I had some meds left and was instructed that I could start taking them again if the symptoms re-appeared.

clarelou
04-10-10, 19:42
Hi Liquidsky,

I'm on my 6th week of Citalopram too - I can only describe my feelings with this drug, I started on 10mg for the 1st week and felt pretty crap - sick, extreme tiredness, disturbed sleep and headachy (took at night), the 2nd week in I increased my dose to 20mg a day ( changed to taking in the morn ) the side effects have lessened I still get tired especially in the afternoons I still feel they have yet to take their full effect however I am far less emotional and my friends say I come across happier although sometimes don't feel it inside! I have had feelings in my chest too pains under left breast, twinges all over, butterfly feelings and palps which to be honest had before I took any meds not sure whether its worse seems it might be but may also be physcological! I'm also on beta blockers for my fast pulse. Can't really stop meds though to try and rule out whether side effects or not. Put it this way nothing has happened to me in 6 wks so I must be ok! - My only advice is to stick with for a while longer maybe ask GP if dose needs to be increased so you get the full benefit from it?
Here to chat anytime xx hope you feel better soon xx