PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety about seeing my counsellor

PoppyC
04-10-10, 13:28
Hi
Does anyone ever get anxious about seeing their Counsellor???
I didn't used to get anxious with the other one, but since I have now began to see the latest one, I find myself getting so anxious. She is a lovely person and caring and understanding all the rest, despite coming out with some questionable stuff sometimes, but other than that I have no reason to fear her.
I have had my medication however the anxiety for seeing her is so strong, but I am not pulling out of going. I am so tempted to have a glass of red wine and then if I do, should I tell the counsellor this. I feel that I should tell the counsellor everything because if I don't then whats the point.
My appt is at 4.30pm and my anxety is going through the roof!!!!!!!!! I need a drink. It is wrong I know. Maybe my medication is no longer working.

debs71
04-10-10, 13:34
Hi Poppy,

I used to feel very anxious before seeing my counsellor too. I could never rationalise this as once I was there I was ok and felt very comfortable talking to her about everything. It was almost like an anticipation type anxiety.

I think that you should definitely discuss how you are feeling with the counsellor and your anxiety before seeing them, as like you say, it is way better to tell them everything as talking is a great way to get to the root of those feelings and make sense of them.

Try to distract your mind away from the appointment in the meantime by keeping busy if you can hun.xx:hugs:

Kell
04-10-10, 13:41
Hi Poppy,

I agree with Debs that you should be honest about how you're feeling. When you're suffering from anxiety it can latch on to anything & so I wouldn't concern yourself as to whether it's logical or not to feel anxious about the appointment. It's the way you feel & you can't help it.

As Debs said, try to keep yourself busy until it's time to go.

Take care & keep us posted on how you get on

Kel
x

Belfry1973
04-10-10, 13:51
Yep, I'm another one who gets nervous about seeing my counsellor. I think its because I know we are going to tackle subjects that I worry about it and get anxious about how to deal with them.

Once I'm there though that all goes, its the old thing really, the anticipation of the event, is always worse than the actual event.

Cat80
04-10-10, 13:55
Yes I used to be like this before every appointment, so much so I used to cancel them a lot. I don't know why it effected me but it did hence why I am scared of counselling again

PoppyC
04-10-10, 15:51
Thank you everyone for helpful replies.
I am so fed up. Absolutely really feel like ringing the Samaritans...
I got so anxious about going out on my own to the gps to see the counsellor, that I had no choice but to cancel. I was so anxious that I was drinking Morgans Spiced and I hate the stuff. Anyway I called to say how I felt and got told that 'Sorry we cannot make home visits' so counselling has now been stopped.
Great isnt it - I have had agoraphobia for ages, have had a breakdown 2 years ago, overcame that, got in control of the most horrific anxiety and panic attacks and all the rest, to sometimes still get overpowered by being out on my own with agoraphobia, to be told Sorry we cant help because you cannot get here!!!
Its only about 2 miles away. I have paid into the effin NHS through working and this is how I get treated.
I am so upset and its so unfair and I just want to end it all now seriously.
I am so tired of the ups and owns, the getting better, the getting worse, and I am normally not one to admit defeat but I have had enough now.
Its like asking someone wiht a fear of birds to walk through an aviary to get to the counsellor and yet somehow counselling for agoraphobia I am expected to go there on my own 2 miles away and I dont have my own transport or anyone who can go with me - so whats the stupid point
I am so fed up. We get treated like cr*p basically dont we if we have mental health issues in this country and cannot afford to go privately.

Kell
04-10-10, 16:07
Hi Poppy,

Sorry that you're feeling so bad. I can see why you feel frustrated & overwhelmed by it all.

Calling the Samaritans would not be a bad thing. Talking to someone might help.

Perhaps a home visit by your GP might help. You're entitled to that.

Kel
x

Nigel
04-10-10, 17:26
Aww Poppy, I’m sorry :hugs:

It’s not fair that people with mental health issues seem to be so badly let down by the NHS services. Suppose that’s partly because they themselves seem to always draw the short straw when it comes to funding, but that doesn’t help the people who need their support.

I can imagine how frustrated you must be feeling, and I know that ending it may feel like one way out, but it’s a very permanent solution though. Things can and do change and get better, and I know that just by reading about those other difficulties you mentioned. Well done for overcoming those, and this one can be overcome as well.

Another thing to consider is that when a person feels highly emotional, their thinking tends to become very extreme. And another thing is that alcohol tends to make many problems seem worse than they really are, and cause the person to feel even more depressed. So bearing all those things in mind, it’s quite possible that any decisions you might make might not actually be your best decisions.

But does this really have to mean the end of counselling? Is it possible to reschedule the appointment? You might find yourself feeling stronger and able to attend, and if not you can always cancel again. And if there really is nobody who can take you, what about a taxi to take you from door to door?

Or what about those NHS volunteer drivers? I know they run patients to and from appointments if they’re physically unable, so why not if a person is mentally unable?

Remember what Kell said and call The Samaritans (http://www.samaritans.org/) (08457 90 90 90) if you feel too overwhelmed.

Take care Poppy :)
Nigel

Steve37
04-10-10, 17:28
I used to be like this when i had counselling/ psychotherapy. I was like it before the appointment but once i got there i was always fine.

ditzygirl
04-10-10, 19:05
Poppy you poor thing but your being hard on yourself here - it takes GUTS to talk about and admit to anxiety and depression.

I'm not very good at attending such appt's either they make me anxious - its almost funny at the state I get into, especially if its blood test time. Doctors and Councillors are used to anxious patients. Councillors are also used to clients not turning up or cancelling its all part of your illness.

Have you discussed how you feel with your GP and your councillor - it really might help you.

If you don't have anyone to go with you I think you should tell the Councillor - they might be able to visit you at home please please please tell them you are feeling and they will support you.

Having wine before your appt might not be a good idea, they will smell it on you. But I will let you into a secret I've turned up smelling of wine and you know what they are thinking - don't put yourself through that you will just feel even worse - I promise!!!!!

Whatever you decide you are not alone and we support you hunx

PoppyC
05-10-10, 11:58
Thank you for your replies everyone :hugs:It has helped knowing that I am not alone in how I feel. I really appreciate you replying because it has helped me a lot and I keep reading through the replies.
I agree Ditzygirl - no more drink beforehand. I sat on the bedroom floor crying and drinking Morgan Spiced and red wine, with my dog staring at me and he must have been wondering what was happening - poor thing :lac:. You are right, as I don't want the counsellor thinking that I am an alcoholic! How I felt just ballooned throughout the day and eventually it was like the balloon then popped and I was in such a state.
I should not have said I wanted to end it, because I often reply to posts saying Don't end it...have hope and all that and then I couldn't see that myself yesterday. You know when you get so down sometimes, its not so much about ending your life, it is more like about wanting the awful feelings to end...it was more that then actually wanting my life to end
Yesterday was a nightmare and I am so exhausted by it all now. Stress really takes it out of you doesn't it, physically?
My partner called the counsellor and explained in his words, how I was having a 'meltdown' ! :scared15: and she is ok about it all, and is going to offer me another appointment now, after all, which I am so happy about. Next time, I will go no matter what, and won't drink to help the anxiety.
I am going to go back to the gp and up my medication, because I feel that at the moment it is not working so effectively. I was doing so well a few weeks ago, left this site, saying how great I was feeling and now I have gone downhill again, and yet nothing has changed to make me feel this way.
I know I should not have complained about the NHS, because there are a lot of good people working for them - I just felt that if I was wealthy enough, then I could book into The Priory and get some help. I get scared of being sectioned to some awful pyschiatric unit like the one that was written about in an article in todays Daily Mail :scared15:
I didnt call The Samaritans - I just cried lots and calmed down and I woke this morning feeling a bit more positive, only with swollen piggy eyes :unsure:.
Thank you again everyone - xxxxxxxxxx

suzy-sue
05-10-10, 12:43
Im glad to hear you feel better today .Cold tea bags are good for piggy eyes apparently .Alchohol can undo the effectiveness of antidepressants ,so really its not good to drink .Maybe try to cut down and just have the odd glass at the w/e .Councelling can be very draining and its understandable to dread it ,but its just another of those avoidance feelings that really needs to be overcome .Its difficult to have to think of things and dig up things we would rather forget .But unless you do you will never get better .There is a thread on the Citalopram forum about Alchohol cravings ,I dont know whether you have seen it ?,Im not saying your problem is down to Citalopram but there is a post about serotonin and alcohol I found it very interesting .We often have blips and often its not because of the drugs ,I honesly dont think upping your dose will do you much good .Its better to try and tackle issues head on in my opinion .Sometimes we get into bad habits again ,and thought processes and negativity take over .Start with the basics again and Im sure you will pick up again. Hope you feel better soon .Take care sue

Kell
05-10-10, 12:46
Hi Poppy,

We share alot in common! I share your frustration in "relapsing". I had felt "normal" for nearly 2 years with very minor blips only to be floored by my anxiety at the end of August. I came thorugh it only for it to reappear on Sunday. I can't understand why.
I know what you mean about The Priory. I have often thought about how things might be different if money was no object. On a number of occasions I have been put down for CBT only for my anxiety to be fine when the appointments eventually come through.
I think that when you feel so bad you just feel desperate. You just want someone to make you better and for it all to go away. It's overwhelming.

Take care

Kel
x

PoppyC
05-10-10, 21:26
Thanks Sue and Kell, for both your posts. :hugs:
I am going to take a look about alcohol and citalopram on here that you mentioned, Sue - I have not read it before. I have been good and not had any alcohol today :yesyes: I would love a wine though :doh: but not giving in.
Kell - Hope your anxiety goes away soon again for you. It is horrid isn't it when you think it has all gone away, only for it to come back again :weep:

skin
05-10-10, 23:28
First time I went to a psych, I fainted right in front of his office :(. I was very dehidrated (hadnt eaten well for a week or so due to health anxiety, depression etc.) and his office was in the inner court of an mental institution... I saw a woman that kept talking/arguing with someone that wasn't there and I flipped out, told my brother I'm gonna faint and woke up just in time to meet the doctor that ran out of a session to see what was going on. So, I too have terrible anxiety everytime I have to go and see him. It trully takes a lot of guts to have anxiety problems and deal with them. Last time I sat on the same bench with the woman that scared the hell out of me, waiting for my appointment :). All I could think was that if she touches me or something, I'm either gonna faint again or kill her... So, be tough! Worse is always possible and you, like all of us, are a brave person.