PDA

View Full Version : Physical symptoms of anxiety

QueenOfHearts
07-03-06, 12:39
I'm so tired of swimming against the tide. I have depression as well so i'm struggling with both, but its the constant nauseous feeling that gets me down. Sometimes i eat something and bring it back up straight away because of the anxiety. And i can't sleep properly in that i go off to sleep fine but wake up with night panics. I'm doing a very demanding university degree so i can't afford to take much time out even though i am considering leaving for a while to try and get better. My friends have completely deserted me because they don't understand how i could have felt like this for so long (since August).

I've been to the doctors and i can't take the AD's they want me to take because they have a sedative effect. I'm on a herbal remedy which is helping some so i'm trying to continue that. I just don't know how much more i can take. My mum is being fantastic but she is in London and i'm in Southampton and like i said i don't have any friends. Sorry i've waffled.

katyfitz
07-03-06, 12:45
babe you havent waffled my friends too have deserted me, no one knows the extent of what we go through unless having been there and that is what is frustrating for us. i have been suffering 6 months now and my friends too cant understand why or how an illness can take so long to recover mainly cause they are used to antibiotics to get rid of whatever they have. stick with this forum and you will be wicked. im here whenever you need me just PM me if u want

chin up chicken
xx

QueenOfHearts
07-03-06, 13:06
Thank you for your reply. I just want to be around people who understand. I'm older than a lot of people in my year at uni even though its only by about 3 years (I'm 21) they just don't have any sympathy. Or they did but its worn off now because they don't see why i just can't shake it off. I would love to do that but its not that simple.

Got really bad nausea and anxiety and i know they're related.

Alexandra
07-03-06, 13:29
Hi Sarky

You have'nt waffled hunny. Its good you have come on & spoken out on how you are feeling.

Im sorry to hear the anti depressants were'nt any good for you. has the doc suggested any others for you?

True friends would stick by you in this situation Sarky, they can't be very good friends if they do'nt try to understand. You have many friends on here though Sarky do'nt ever for get that.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

nomorepanic
07-03-06, 14:50
Sarky

Try some of these posts to see if they help...

nervous (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3347)
Nausea (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3205)
Nausea (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3355)
does anybody feel sick or cant eat for days (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4842)

Nicola

katyfitz
07-03-06, 14:53
HAVE YOU TAKEN ANY PEOPLE ASIDE FROM UR UNI AND ASKED FOR THEM TO JUST HEAR YOU OUT MAYBE IF YOU EXPLAIN EXACTLY HOW U FEEL AND THE FACT NO ONES LISTENING MAYBE THE REASON U FEL SO SICK THE FEELING OF BEING ALONE. DONT BOTTLE IT UP AT UNI IM SURE THERE IS SOMEONE THERE THAT WANTS TO HELP U IF NOT STICK WITH US BUT I DOUBT NOONE WOULD NOT WANT TO HELP

QueenOfHearts
07-03-06, 17:28
I have approached lots of people at uni. I have a mentor and i have cognitive behavioural therapy. All my tutors know what is going on and i've explained to my friends. People just don't understand.

Thank you for your post though it is appreciated.

Paddington
07-03-06, 18:19
Dear sarky,i m so sorry to here you are havin such a rough time,I am surprised at the uni they should be more supportive.Maybe you should take time out,it's not giving up sarky it's lovin yourself nuff to get better!Also the friend thing is so common amongst all the people on this site.They do not understand ,my one and only bessie mate ditched me last year and also called me a coward!So understand how u feeling.That will never happen here we re all in the same boat,and can steer ourselves ashore.Keep in touch.LOVE mARY-rOSE.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Karen
07-03-06, 18:48
Hi Sarky

Try to eat something light little and often, even if it is something like some yoghurt or a banana.

Have you asked your doctor about a referral to see a therapist? Or you could approach the university counselling service.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

QueenOfHearts
07-03-06, 19:06
I already have a therapist. I do cognitive behavioural therapy. The university have been very good i can't fault them. Like i said i have a mentor as well.

Thank you for the tip, yoghurts seem to be my sole source of food at the moment!

henri
07-03-06, 19:59
I am so sorry you are in this situation - uni can be tough at the best of times. It's awful that your friends have deserted you. But the good thing about going to a big university like Southampton is that there are hundreds and thousands of people to meet. Are there any societies that you would be interested in joining? Something that you would be able to handle in your condition, like film soc or something?
In my experience, 18-year-olds at uni just want to go out and get wrecked - it would be good if you could meet some people your age who i'm sure would be more understanding.
Or maybe you could go and discuss your situation with your head of department, see if he/she could sort out some time out for you.
Either way, there will always be people here that you can talk to,
take care
henri x

QueenOfHearts
08-03-06, 10:22
I am currently trying to study for exams that are worth 25% of the year, thats not helping my anxiety but after easter i will look into joining more socities. I am already part of some but don't know many people there.

This morning i have really bad nausea and have been on the toilet since i got up. I hate this.

Meg
08-03-06, 18:16
Guacamole and humous go down well too .

Little and often and if you are nauseous have some tonic water to drink and burp it all up. Aloe vera for sore tums

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

erica aaa
10-03-06, 22:01
Hi Sarky - I have severe nausea on and off for a number of years and no doctor has got to the bottom of it. The only thing that helps me when it gets really bad is Motilium - have you tried it? It's available over the counter as can be used for travel sickness, but I've found it to be a good all-rounder! I have also foud it's very important to eat something (usually a couple of bananas) as soon as I get up as otherwise my stomach seems to reject food for the rest of the day. It's a vicious circle - the more you panic abouot not having eaten enough then the more anxious and sick you feel, but at least try lots of hot milky drinks. Waitrose do organic whole creamy milk that is packed full of fats and calories. My doctor has also suggested I see a psycologist - not because I have an eating disorder such as anorexia, but just to check that it is not anxiety about food (or lack of it) that increases the sense of nausea and because right now I might need some support. Just a suggestion in case you think it's something you might help.

e

krystlej
11-03-06, 00:37
I understand how you feel completely. my doctor keeps wanting me to take AD's for my anxiety, but I have this stigma attatched to them and I refuse to take them, even though part of me wonders if they'd make life a little more bareable.

I added you to my msn in case you ever want to revel in our anxiety ridden lives together,

k_judge21@hotmail.com

luck to you

QueenOfHearts
11-03-06, 01:01
I do have some motilium, thank you for that tip although i don't usually take it. My friend took me to the supermarket yesterday and i ate a bit more today but its hard. You're right about eating in the morning, i noticed a difference today. Its just after having a bad night its so hard to force yourself to eat! (I know i'm making an excuse).

I'm not sure i have an official eating disorder, but i know my eating is "disordered" i go through periods of bingeing (i don't purge) and starving. I've lost about 2 stone since the summer and everyone keeps telling me how good i look now, even though i lost it through ill health. So i have to keep telling myself that must eat, even if its rubbish its better than nothing!

Thank you for adding me to msn krystlej i look forward to talking to you.

erica aaa
11-03-06, 10:24
Hi Sarky - just wanted to explain a bit more about this eating thing just in case it's something you can identify with. I am also fairly sure that I do not have an eating disorder as such - I worry about being too thin and I have never wanted to binge and purge. It's more that as soon as I am unhappy I just want to turn my back on food because the thought of having to eat it makes me feel so sick. I can be feeling hungry yet go to a retaurant and just looking at all the options on the menu makes me feel nauseous and that I just can't wait for the meal to be over. I know my eating is 'disordered' too and that in itself is a huge source of anxiety because you feel you are not normal...everyone else is complaining about eating too much and by lunchtime already thinking about what we can have for dinner and all I'm thinking is that I wish I could live on milkshakes dripped into me throughout the night! It's a vicious circle because the weaker I feel the less I want to eat - I don't hate food, I'm just not interested in it and I know I'm lazy when it comes to preparing it because really I don't even want it.

Having said all this, most doctors I have seen (admittedly they haven't really paid much attention) have just looked at me and said everybody has a differerent make-up and to just eat and do what feels best for me, and that kind of makes you feel better. After my panic attacks on Sunday my new doctor has arranged for me to see a psycologist because as I've lost so much weight he wants an expert to really try to get to the bottom of this food thing. I'm really relieved actually, because it feels like this time I'll really know if I'm normal. I really think you should take the motilium a good hour before it's time to eat something....keep in a supply of bananas and baked beans an if you need a dietary supplement then I have found that a powder called Musashi (much higher concentrate than Complan) is the only one which is actually nice to drink.

Sorry if this post is completely off the mark and pls ignore if does not relate to your situation, but not being able to eat is such an added stress.

Hope you have a better day. I like to think of it that this is just one bad stage in your life - everyone will have one, but it's just your turn now.

e

QueenOfHearts
11-03-06, 10:50
I think i identify with some of what your saying, but not all of it. But thank you for explaining more about how this affects you. I went clothes shopping yesterday because all of my jeans are too big, and bought some kids jeans from H+M which fitted perfectly! I'm quite small anyway 5'4/5'5 so its not that big a deal i guess, but there was a time when i wouldn't have been able to wear something so small. Sometimes i like food and have a passion for it, buy a lot of the time i am ambivalent and i don't really care either way.

I don't have scales in my room which is a good thing, because when i was at home i was always on them. I'm not too bothered how much i weigh because when i weighed more i looked ok. I think its where the depression comes in and its about control, not being able to control how my mind feels but being able to control what i eat. I don't think its nearly as bad as lots of other people, but hand in hand with not wanting to eat as a result of anxiety it means my weight loss has been significant.

Its good you are going to see a psychologist to get to the root of your problem. I have cognitive behavioural therapy which i hope will help by changing my thought patterns over time.

Every morning starts off badly as i wake up with anxiety about the day ahead, trying to eat a sandwich now but i know i could so easily go without and not feel hungry.