PDA

View Full Version : Blood in stool and breast change worries

Aussie11
04-10-10, 23:38
Went to the neurologist about my back pain/ muscle twitches/ numbness last week. He did neuro exam and all seemed normal but he referred me for MRI of brain and whole spine, a heap of blood tests (inflammation/kidney/liver function/ autoimmune etc) and nerve test. I wont get my results for 3 weeks as he's gone off on holiday. The back ache is there constantly, usually down quite low, but also moves up to middle back. Bad pelvic pain today too, like period pain, but feels a bit like it's in the ligaments. I also had red blood in my stools today, not just on the paper, actually in the stool. I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago so contacted my consultant today to ask if I should get checked out. He said it wouldn't be bleeding from the procedure, and there were no haemoroids or anything abnormal with my test, so didn't have explanation but didn't say to get checked out either.

Also today have started worrying about changes in my breasts. They've always been quite lumpy, and last year in about June I went and had ultrasound on one of them because of one particular lump. It was fine back then. I have noticed over the last month a small rash on the top left of my right breast. It's about the size of a 50p coin. It looks like eczema, however I've heard that rashes can be a sign of breast cancer. They both feel quite lumpy again at the moment, including lumpy nodes in the underarm. The other thing I've noticed is that my nipples don't look the same on each side. My right side is bigger more oval shaped than the left. I'm not sure if I'm just noticing this now because I'm being paranoid or if I should be concerned about this.

The problem with this health anxiety is that I'm always worrying about one thing, and then worry that I might be missing something else if I just focus on the first thing! For example, I'm so caught up in the back thing at the moment that I want to get the MRI for that out the way and sort that first, but then don't want to hold off getting this breast thing looked at in case that's actually the serious thing I should be worried about. Also this latest thing has compounded my panic about having cancer that has spread -for example thinking that I've got breast cancer and it's spread to my spine and that's the cause of my back pain. Surely I'd be feeling worse by now though if that was the case!

This health anxiety thing is like an addiction - I keep thinking I'll go to get some counselling....but first just have to get this test or that test to rule out this disease or that disease, and then it will all be ok and I'll get help then.

CrazyCatLady
07-10-10, 01:39
They can't suspect something serious or they would arrange earlier results, so please try not to worry. Are you still getting the blood in your stools?
Breasts can be affected by your cycle, but the rash and nodes underarms should be checked out, although it'll probably end up being heat rash and harmless swollen glands. Nipples aren't always identical, your heightened anxiety could just be making you look for changes that aren't there!
I know what you mean about the vicious cycle, but I would say there can be a wait to get counselling, so better off asking for it now.

:hugs:

jada
07-10-10, 14:33
Hi

It's breast awareness month! Please go and get them checked out for your own peace of mind hun :hugs:

Aussie11
09-10-10, 18:22
Thanks for the replies. I ended up going to A&E last night because I was getting chest pains and it was really hard to breathe, like my lungs weren't working properly. They did all sorts of tests, including a chest xray and all was fine (they suspect maybe mild asthma - or I think perhaps anxiety which it very likely was!). However when the doctor said the chest xray was fine he did say have I had my breasts checked lately. I panicked because I thought he meant he saw something on the xray. It mustn't have been that though or else I'm sure he would have said I definitely had to get the checked. It sounded like it was just a suggestion. I told him about the small rash and he looked at it and said it didn't look like anything sinister. I've booked in to see my GP this week so I'll have her check them over then for piece of mind.

MidnightCalm
09-10-10, 18:25
I think the GP is just trying different routes to try and see if you have a physical cause for the pains that you're feeling, really it's probably just a precautionary measure and nothing's going to be found at all and it'll all come down to that horrible beast ANXIETY :mad:

xfilme
13-10-10, 22:49
Hi Aussie,
thought Id send a few words of reassurance. When you go to your docs next, ask them to do a B12 blood test. Most doctors never think to do one unless requested. The reason I say this is because back ache, muscle twitching and tingling are all very common symptoms of anaemia or iron deficiency. While having a full blood count can determine whether you are anaemic, it will not point out whether your iron stores are low, as this will only show in a B12 blood test. This is common amongst many vegetarians and vegans. Their FBC says they are not anaemic, yet their iron stores are depleted so they have all anaemia symptoms without the actual anaemia. Usually they are told that "not eating meat isnt working for them" and sent home, without an explanation why. Just a suggestion. Could be something simple like that and easily correctable.

Another thing, the breast lumps. Ive had lumps in my breasts all my life (well, since I started developing boobs). There is a condition called mastitis, which I also suffer from that causes minor inflamation in the milk ducts. This makes them feel lumpy and tender at times, especially in the cold, if you run and in the week before your period. I have a cancer phobia, so I understand you particular health anxiety. I had the whole breast lump fears too. Please remember that lumps felt with the tip of your fingers are only milk ducts... the only lumps you need to note are ones you can feel by pressing on your breast with the flat of your hand.

If you need someone to talk to, send me a message. x