PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and Illness

Southern_Belle
07-03-06, 14:11
I'd like to introduce myself and say hi. I have anxiety and sometimes panic attacks in the past. I am on medications for both at this time and they help to some degree. I hadn't flown in roughly 10 years and recently flew; albeit, with white knuckles but I did it! I had anxiety even as a small child and on car trips would sit on the floor of the car just screaming when we would ride in the moutains because I was afraid of heights. I think I was born with fear. I have had a panic attack in the dentist's chair where they coudn't even perform procedures. There are ways to rationalize all of this by my history as I fell from a high structure as a child and had a bad experience with a dentist, etc., but the fact is I have these issues and can't get rid of the anxiety and panic. The anxiety, and one time, when I was under a lot of stress ruled my life. I actually thought (when I heard planes outside) that they were going to land on my home. The racing heart of that feeling of dread is like no other. Everyone tells me the problem is that I fear death. Maybe I do. I have my faith, but when I have an attack it seems to fail me. I am menapausal and am only in my late 40's which is early and also have hypothyroid disease which I don't think helps with any of this. Can any of you relate with what I have said? Thank you for reading.

nomorepanic
07-03-06, 14:31
Hi Beluga

Welcome aboard the forum.

Sorry to hear you are having a bad time of things but this can be overcome in time.

Hope you get some great help and support on here.

Nicola

Alexandra
07-03-06, 15:00
Hi Beluga

Welcome to the forum,

You will find lots of help & support here.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Paddington
07-03-06, 15:29
hi Beluga,welcome to the forum!Wow well done on getting on the plane that is such an achievment BRAVO!i DO IDENTIFY WITH YOU,[so wil most people here!]i too went thru earyl menapause,i started at 42,and still get symptoms now and i am 51[goin on 18!!]i too feel i have been worrying about life all my life!I was painfully shy and cover that up with the 'make 'em laugh' act!I do fear death and can get myself into a right pickle if i dwell on it.You will find every one here such a help,and there are so many helpful forums to read too.well done again 4 the flying,i think that is wonderful!Love Mary-Rose.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

trac67
07-03-06, 16:06
Hi Beluga,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Karen
07-03-06, 18:28
Hi Beluga

Welcome to the forum.

You might find the following information helpful:

First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps)

Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms)

Have you had any treatment, like CBT therapy to help with this?

You will find a lot of help and support here.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

wendy
07-03-06, 19:50
Hi and Welcome!
I can defo relate!
Wendy x

clickaway
07-03-06, 23:16
Welcome Aboard, Beluga.

You'll find plenty of people here who can relate to your issues.

Glad you found us, and hope we can provide some good support, friendship and advice.

Take Care,

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Meg
08-03-06, 15:41
Hiya beluga

Its true that bad experiences do affect us but in order for that to happen you need to have allowed the negative thought to spiral out of control and become extreme and catastrophic with no sense of keeping them in perpective

David burns book off our reading page- chapter 3 plus Shads book from there too and a few sessions of CBT and those cumulatively will help you regain some perspective on situations and events

Well done for your flight.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Piglet
08-03-06, 16:55
A big welcome to the site :)

Love Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

jackie
08-03-06, 19:07
i can relate to it all. you are in the right place and are not alone.

i too take thyroxine which i dont think helps with the anxiety

i hope you feel at home here

take care
jackie

sal
08-03-06, 22:07
Hi Beluga

Pleased you have joined the forum. I am pleased you have your faith and i do know how that seems to disappear when you start to go into panic,but when we come out the other side we still have it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Munchkin
10-03-06, 13:05
welcome to the site!

"A Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"