PDA

View Full Version : bought filisa but changed my mind

joannap
05-10-10, 10:40
bought filisa as recommended on here but have been put off taking it by my mum and husband. my mum pointed out that it is a uk company and yet the product comes from geurnsey and i have no actual proof that the tablet is made from what they say it is etc and that herbal medicines are not regulated by authorities. she then pointed out the horror storries you read about where people have taken chinese medicines etc and destroyed their kidneys!

unfortunately i have removed the seal so cannot send them back for a refund and so feel i have wasted £26.50!

ginny
08-10-10, 12:09
Hi Joanna, I wouldn't be put off the Guernsey bit because lots of good healthcare companies such as Healthspan send their products from there. It's such a shame because I've used Filisa and it's terrific. It's been in lots of newspapers and magazines -- I actually saw it written about in the Sunday Times. If you're worried ring the company because they're very helpful.

paula lynne
08-10-10, 12:15
Hi guys, Ive never heared of it...what is it and what does it do? Thanks x:)

joannap
08-10-10, 18:23
its meant to be brill for anxiety and pmt etc - the only thing that worries me is that it is not regulated - i mean - who decides how much is safe to take and does it have any long term effects on the body? the company say its formulated by a zimbabwean pharmacist and yet its made in geurnsey?!

i would be a lot more sure about taking it if this lady actually produced it inhouse in the uk - everything does not quite add up for me although it may be totally kocher x

CrazyCatLady
09-10-10, 16:15
Read this Joannap:

http://www.food.gov.uk/safereating/chemsafe/supplements/

They are regulated :)

ginny
10-10-10, 12:34
I spoke to the company because I was concerned about what has been written here. Apparently, Filisa is the Sutherlandia plant from South Africa and it's been used out there traditionally for heaps of years. These guys work with a South African pharmacist and he looks after the whole process including the testing for bacteria etc before it comes to the UK in capsules. The company despatch from Guernsey -- lots of health companies do. They sell lots of Filisa all over the world and they also have a doc called Andy Wright who uses it for his ME patients and a doc in London who uses it too for SAD. Think they're a good company and they are very open. All my questions were answered without a problem.

ginny
10-10-10, 12:53
Also, just thought I'd let you know about this site www.depressioncanbefun.co.uk (http://www.depressioncanbefun.co.uk)
They have lots of info on natural supplements that they recommend. You might find it helpful

joannap
12-10-10, 12:51
thanks ginny

i am just concerned that sutherlandia could turn out to be another kava. i remember that being advertised as wonderful for anxiety and now is banned in uk because of possible liver damage. i am sure conventional anti depressants have their own risks too but they have been studied extensively whereas many herbs have not and i would hate for it to work on my anxiety only for it then to cause other problems for me!

joannap
12-10-10, 13:04
hi crazy cat lady - thanks for the link - did you mean that the company was regulated or the herb? i cannot find any mention of either in the website!

ginny
12-10-10, 17:38
I've done a bit of trawling around and found that there was a safety study done on Sutherlandia in 2002. Here's the link http://www.sahealthinfo.org/traditionalmeds/sutherlandia.pdf

SIMON31
13-10-10, 02:01
you will have to let me know joanna if it helps as I think I will give this ago if my 5htp doesnt work :-)

pauline
19-10-10, 15:11
I have just ordered some. I will be taking it as whats the point if we don't try it once we have brought it. Dont let others scare you. As you point out its not cheap either and it just might be the answer i think its worth trying.

pauline
19-10-10, 15:18
Ginny that link does not work

NUFC14
19-10-10, 19:52
I'm going to order some of this as well, it sounds really good and I also got recommended it via a question I submitted to "depressioncanbefun.co.uk" So I defo think it's worth a shot.

My regime is goign to be 2x 100mg 5HTP, filisa, inositol and possibly another supplement as well, perhaps EPA.

Its the full on natural assault to SSRI's!

MidnightCalm
19-10-10, 21:04
What does it do? And what's 5htp?

pauline
23-10-10, 19:02
Have got my filisa started taking it yesterday will let you know how i get on.

NUFC14
24-10-10, 12:01
I too have bought 3 months filisa, and some Vegepa, will update on progress, I have a good feeling about it though!!

pauline
24-10-10, 14:07
Have you started taking the Filisa Johnnybrookes? I have a good feeling too. we having nothing to lose by trying it at least i don't think so anyway.

NUFC14
25-10-10, 16:56
I am just waiting on my delivery, really want it now!! Am feeling beyond low at the moment, in an almost all encompassing black cloud, is horrible so really want these to work for me.

I ordered three months Vegepa as well, so hoping it will all work together!!

Have you got yours delivered yet?

John

MidnightCalm
25-10-10, 18:56
anyboady had any success on this?

pauline
25-10-10, 19:48
Hi John

yes i got mine on friday was frustrating as i had ordered 2 things and the sleeping one came first and then had to wait a further 3 days for the filisa which i just wanted to get on and start taking, So yes i have been taking the recommended dose since saturday. let us know how you get on with it as i will too.

joannap
29-10-10, 15:52
just wondered if there was any improvement with the filisia guys?

SIMON31
01-11-10, 03:20
yeah joannap I was wondering that too, been checking every day to see :-) Maybe it worked and they going about their lives now :-)

pauline
04-11-10, 19:04
I have only been taking it for two weeks, and i have had to drop the amount i was taking as it gave me upset tum, i do have IBS so it might not even be the tablets but tum has not been so bad since i cut the amount i was taking. I have to say that i do feel a little calmer. It is that time of the month and usually the panic is much worse so i will update you how i get on this time next week. I did send Johnny a message but he did not reply so i'm not sure if he is taking it or if he might of had the unset tum when taking the filisa i'm not sure why people don't reply when surely it is going to help others to know how it is going for them.

I'll keep you updated.

NUFC14
05-11-10, 00:20
Hi guys,

Sorry for lack of reply Pauline was so so busy, but I have time again now. I am not sure on the Filisa as yet, I have not had an upset tummy as of yet, I have been fine with that side of it. The very severe depression has lifted a bit I have to say, the anxiety, I'm not sure. I have been taking the wrong amount until like the last two days so will continue to update on it.

ginny
05-11-10, 18:11
Hi guys,
I didn't have a problem with any upset tum with Filisa -- might be your IBS Pauline? Stick with it guys -- at least you're not putting horrible chemicals in your body and I was told that Filisa may take a bit of time to work as it's herbal. It worked like a dream for me and lots of my pals took it too. Did you see the article on their web site about the lady with anxiety after she was diagnosed with cancer who took it? It worked so quickly for her and she was mega anxious -- here it is http://littleherbal-international.com/acatalog/Yours-SheilaBarrow-FILISA_4Nov09.pdf
All the best, Ginny xxx

pauline
05-11-10, 18:57
Hi Johnny

Thanks for your reply, i forget people have busy lives :winks:

I was taking as recommended 2 in the morning and 2 in the evenings with food is that what you are doing? I'm now taking 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Have to say everytime i have emailed little herbal they have got straight back to me and have been a great help with advice for me.

NUFC14
06-11-10, 15:33
thats okay! im gonna stick with it im taking vegepa as well. ginny how long did you find it took?

ginny
09-11-10, 17:22
Hi Johnny, Filisa worked quite quickly for me. In a couple of weeks I realised that I was feeling calmer and actually waking up looking forward to the day rather than dreading it. My worries almost seemed to be 'parked' if you like -- kind of there but not bothering me. That horrid feeling of despair in the pit of my stomach disppeared and I was definitely coping much much better. I took the full dose for around 3 months and now just take a maintenance dose of 1 or 2 capsules daily depending on how I'm feeling. Some days I don't take any at all. I have to say that this changed my life and everyone around me has noticed that I'm a much happier person now which is why I love it so much. Hope it works as well for you too -- I'm sure it will.

pauline
10-11-10, 19:30
Hi Ginny

thanks for that reply its good too know how it has helped others who have took it. I have started on the full does now for the last 2 days. Tummy is not to bad now, think it might have been the sage i was taking for the menopause, as i had run out of it so have not took it for 3 days and my tum is not half as bad. Shame really as i thought the sage did help. But hopefully the Filisa will help me with the menopause as well its seems to have alot of things that it help with.

ginny
15-11-10, 16:59
Hey Pauline, my mum took Sage and she was told it was no good if you have an irritable stomach. So, maybe that was the problem?
Love, Ginny

pauline
17-11-10, 13:31
Hi Ginny

yes i think it was the sage, still having problems with IBS but not so bad as when i was taking the sage. I am feeling low as really the Filisa does not seem to be working as well as i would like i suppose i keep hopeing for a mircule and it will take the panic away for good daft i know. But the panic is still pretty high and when i read your story you said the Filisa started to work within 2 weeks and i have now been taking the full dose for 2 weeks and cannot say that i am much better. I am going to keep on taking it though as i know it works differently for everyone.

How is it going for you Johnny?

joannap
17-11-10, 17:41
it is really depressing when something seems to be a miracle cure for someone and not for yourself - this is why i am wary of taking anything because i think - even if it does work - i will then have to come off them one day!

having said that - i have been taking inisotol and i was terrible all weekend - just about ready to go back on meds but definitely feel to be experiencing at least 50% improvement x

ginny
18-11-10, 16:23
What happened to positive thinking -- you know I think that you've just got to give it a fair chance to work guys. Yes, Filisa did start to make me feel better within a couple of weeks but everyone's different. When i ordered and spoke to the lady at Little Herbal she did say that for some people it can take a couple of months to take effect and that i should look for small changes not big ones because all the little steps join up to become a big one. At least you're not filling your body with chemicals and Filisa seems to be highly recommended. Don't know anything about inisotol except i think it's b vitamins?

pauline
19-11-10, 12:57
Hi Ginny

thanks for your reply and yes i know your right about postive thinking. Have emailed little herbal they are so good they give such good advice and as you say i have just got to wait. Certainly i am sleeping a little better so thats one good thing. I was having a bad day when i posted so as usual when paniking all postive thoughts go out the window i so hate having panic. but i have suffered for over 20 years so its not going to go in 2 weeks, also i'm sure its hormones as well they are all over the place at the moment. can i ask if the sage did not help your mum what else helped her?

I'm sticking with the filisa.

pauline
19-11-10, 13:01
JOANNAP

why don't you try the Filisa you have it so what have you got to lose?

You seem to be looking for something and it seems a shame not to take it now that you have it.

joannap
19-11-10, 18:44
hi pauline

i just could not bring myself to try filisa for all the reasons i initially stated - call me paranoid lol but i sold the filisa on - there was just not enough safety evidence produced in the uk/i was not comfortable with the manufacturing process but that does not mean it is not perfectly safe or does not work - this was just my opinion/choice.

i was trying to stop looking for something to help because i did this years ago - spent a lot of money on a lot of different things and had decided that this can add to anxiety rather than help - especially when you feel nothing is helping.

i did start looking for a natural supplement/remedy again when - after coming off antidepressants - i was suffering bad withdrawal symptoms etc and so although i know the cure has to come from within me - i wanted something to assist and inisotol has been proved again and again that it can be as effective as ssris and yes - it is a natural b vitamin.

fingers crossed as we know how up and down the process of recovery can be but i started taking it last weekend when i felt it was 100% certain i would have to go back on an ssri i felt that bad and now - less than a week later - i am at least if not more than 50% improved. the only thing it does say is that people who do not respond to ssris often do not respond to inisotol. it has an amazing safety record and in clinical studies works as well as and faster than prozac.

joannap
19-11-10, 18:46
there is a massive guide on inisitol on no more panic if anyone wants to check it out x

pauline
27-11-10, 14:13
How you doing Johnny????????

I have been taking for 5 weeks now and i feel that this past week its really starting to work. I feel more happy not so anxious.

ginny
29-11-10, 14:54
Joanna, although you seem to be very keen on inisotol there have been reported side effects such as nausea, fatigue, headches and dizziness. I had a friend who actually had to stop taking it because it gave her very bad headaches. I have also read that it can interact with some other medications. I'm interested that you say you weren't happy with the manufacturing process for Filisa -- what is the manufacturing process? Did you talk to the Little Herbal company because, as Pauline says, they are very helpful and I found them very knowledgable. They certainly answered all my questions, they also work with a qualified pharmacist and they sent me all the safety data. Pauline I'm so happy that you're starting to feel better and that you're more happy. Just shows that keeping an open mind is working.

joannap
29-11-10, 21:31
hi ginny - i would be unhappy taking filisia for the reaons i explained in my previous posts but i did not mean to scare anyone - these are only my own personal opinions - it does not mean it is unsafe or there is anything actually wrong with the way it is manufactured by little herbal. someone else may equally not want to take inisitol - we have to use our own judgement and figure out whats best for us as individuals.

if you are happy taking filisia and it works for you then great - that's all that matters x

joannap
29-11-10, 21:54
was not trying to turn it into a competition between filisia and inisotol lol - just wanted to mention inisitol seems to be benefitting me in case someone else wanted to try it too.

ginny
03-12-10, 17:53
We can only do what we feel is the best for ourselves at the end of the day but I do think to keep an open mind is important.

pauline
22-01-11, 15:22
Hi

just thought i'd update everyone on how i am getting on with taking the Filisa. It has not been plain sailing very much up and down but i feel that the last 2 weeks i am certainly improveing with my mood and how i am feeling about myself, i'm not saying that the anxiety/panic is totally gone it has not but its not so bad. Mainly its how i feel in my head that has improved and my friend said the other day that i am looking better. It has taken alot longer than i thought it would i suppose i was hopeing i would be like ginny and feel better after a few weeks, but i have been suffering with anxiety for over 20 years so i'm sure its going to take longer.

Johnney I was so hopeing that you would of let us know how you are getting on. its good for others too know how things are. Please could you reply to us.

thanks

ginny
04-03-11, 11:43
Hi Pauline, I'm soooo happy that you're feeling better. Yes Filisa did work quickly for me but I hadn't suffered from anxiety for as long as you. I think Filisa makes you feel as if you can control the anxiety rather than it controlling you. All of a sudden you realise that you are actually feeling much better. I always have some Filisa in and when I feel anxious I just start taking it again until I feel better.

pauline
12-03-11, 15:53
Hi Ginny

Is'nt it a shame that Johnney has not got back to us perhaps he is so much better now too. I'm so glab that you recommended it as it really does seem to be helping me. I highly recommend it.

Pauline

NUFC14
15-03-11, 15:27
Hi guys,

I am really sorry for lateness of reply, wanted to give it a fair go and report back plus haven't been doing good as of late. Tbh I haven't found it has helped me, the depression that I'm under is probably too heavy for it to be lifted that easily, so I don't know. I haven't felt any better. Sorry to disappoint guys.

pauline
26-03-11, 15:10
Hi Johnny

Thanks for your reply. So sorry that the filisa does not seem to be helping you. It does take time as i have found out. Are you going to keep on taking it?

Take care

NUFC14
01-04-11, 19:34
I'm not sure if I will, my depression is at a point now that I am really really struggling so I don't know :weep: I don't want to go back on AD's at all, is sooo rubbish.

Hate all this, sometimes just think I'm so sick of doctors offices and waiting rooms. :(

X

suzyehayes
04-04-11, 10:17
Hi,
Is this a herbal remedy that can be taken with prescribed medication, i am currently takeing 20mg citalopram.
Do you think filisa would work for me? I have suffered from panic attacks
for 36 years and am willing to give anything a try, also does this help with anxiety.
Would appreciate any help regarding herbal remedies.
Thank you:lac:

pauline
05-04-11, 12:33
Hi suzyehayes

i have sent you a private message, hope this helps

Johnny so sorry that you are in a bad way. perhaps you will have to take the AD i do feel that depression needs to be treated differently to anxiety/panic attacks and that you need to take the ADS

take care

NUFC14
09-04-11, 14:47
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for concern:)

I really just don't want to go back on the AD's as I really hate them. I am trying to combat it without any of that stuff, but who knows, will see what happens for sure.

Cheers,

John

pauline
10-04-11, 19:30
Hi John

i do understand your not wanting to take ADs as i am the same as you. over the years have tried so many and none have helped at all. Trouble is all i get now of one friend and my family is no understanding as really i only have myself to blame as i wont take ADs. Thats what they tell me so i feel i cannot say much to them about anxiety if its bad.

Are you still taking the Filisa? i would as what have you got to lose.