PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Gallbladder Surgery, Im Petrified

muzicdejay
05-10-10, 13:52
Hi guys.
Well my scan results came back some months back now & I have a few small gallstones, The doc didnt seem too worried & said i can either wait & see how i go as some people dont get any more mither OR i can have surgery!!!
Ive been fine last few months but the last week or so ive been getting a few niggling pains in my lower back & stomach, I know this is probably the gallstones playing bit so again ive been GOOGLING :blush:
I was all set to callin the doc & askin to be put for the surgery then i started reading the horror stories!!!!!!!:weep:

I read about that famous guy in the USA "John Murtha" who recently died a few days after he got his gallbladder removed due to his stomach been nicked when he had his gallbladder out, 4 days later his stomach had leaked & sent his body into toxic shock & he died!!!!

Then as u can imagine i scoured the internet for other deaths related to surgery & Alas its brought me back to here as Im now making myself bad thinking about it. I feel like if i DON'T Have surgery my gallbladder could burst & i could die anyhow but if i DO Have it they could snip at something of mine & the same kinda thing could happen to me??????????????

Oh Guys Im SOOO Stupid I know but now I dont know what to do for the best!!!!!!!

Anth
05-10-10, 13:58
I'm not going to tell you that your worries are unfounded. I can understand exactly why its bothering you.

But these incidents are a vast minority, I've undergone surgery twice, both times on my eye. Not a thing anyone would look forward to, but pleasantly its not that bad at all.

Gall bladder surgery is a relatively run of the mill practice now, and I would imagine you would be in and out of surgery before you knew what was going on.
I'd advise you to ask the doc to refer you and chat to the surgeon about your worries. We all know Google is bad, but we still use it.

Ask about the surgey success rate, ask about potential complications, ask about pre-meds etc.

I know it takes courage but once you have all the information you can then make a proper informed choice.

gypsywomen
05-10-10, 14:03
every op has risks even having a tooth out ,its normal to remove be keyhole surgery,,the thing is if you have stones they can cause problems themselves ,, my husband had stones removed waiting to have gallbladder out ,i suggest you don't google your doctor will keep you up to date and put your mind at ease x

Mondie
05-10-10, 14:20
I had my gallbladder out by keyhole surgery a couple of years ago; it was my first operation and I was bricking it! BUT it was better than the pains I was getting from my gallstones and after a couple of weeks I was all better...PM me if you want to know any specifics xx

Hazel B
05-10-10, 14:24
Hi, I have just been put on the waiting list today to have my gallbladder removed, perfect timing! I can't wait to have the op and get my life back, have had pain since April and it's taken this long to get diagnosed and on the list. My gallstone gives me awful pain, especially at night, and I can't eat cheese or fatty food.
My consultant told me the op is under one hour, keyhole surgery and has low risk. There are risks of course but only 1 in 1000 have any issues. I'm not worried as the benefit outweighs any risk to me.
You could opt out of the surgery and eat a very low fat diet to control the pain if you wanted to, I just can't cope with the pain any more and my threshold is high. The pain I get is under my right rib and behind my right shoulder.
My advice is also to stay off "Dr Google"!!!

muzicdejay
05-10-10, 14:26
I'm not going to tell you that your worries are unfounded. I can understand exactly why its bothering you.

But these incidents are a vast minority, I've undergone surgery twice, both times on my eye. Not a thing anyone would look forward to, but pleasantly its not that bad at all.

Gall bladder surgery is a relatively run of the mill practice now, and I would imagine you would be in and out of surgery before you knew what was going on.
I'd advise you to ask the doc to refer you and chat to the surgeon about your worries. We all know Google is bad, but we still use it.

Ask about the surgey success rate, ask about potential complications, ask about pre-meds etc.

I know it takes courage but once you have all the information you can then make a proper informed choice.

Thanks Anth
I know they do this type of surgery all the time & i was feeling ok about it untill i read those stories!!!!!! (Sometimes wish id never had a PC, lol)
I just always think the worst is going to happen as i never seem to get much luck!
Your right, i should talk about my concerns with the doc, etc, I just hope the surgen who i end up with doesnt have a robotic arm or something! lol.
Thanks again!

muzicdejay
05-10-10, 14:27
every op has risks even having a tooth out ,its normal to remove be keyhole surgery,,the thing is if you have stones they can cause problems themselves ,, my husband had stones removed waiting to have gallbladder out ,i suggest you don't google your doctor will keep you up to date and put your mind at ease x
Hey Gypsywomen
Has your husband heard when his opp is? Hope he goes on ok!
i Know, Google is the worst thing ever!
Thanks for the reply! x

muzicdejay
05-10-10, 14:30
I had my gallbladder out by keyhole surgery a couple of years ago; it was my first operation and I was bricking it! BUT it was better than the pains I was getting from my gallstones and after a couple of weeks I was all better...PM me if you want to know any specifics xx

Cheerz Mondie,
Same here, its my 1st ever op & i too am bricking it (lol, i havnt heard that saying for years)
Ive heard u start feeling better after a few days its just that the people ive read about felt fine the first few days then they ended up ill & died! God i wish i didnt worry so much, I suppose ill just have to risk it been done 7 hope for the best!
Hope your ok now n cheerz again!

gypsywomen
05-10-10, 14:31
its about 19th oct hope all goes well for you:)

muzicdejay
05-10-10, 14:38
Hi, I have just been put on the waiting list today to have my gallbladder removed, perfect timing! I can't wait to have the op and get my life back, have had pain since April and it's taken this long to get diagnosed and on the list. My gallstone gives me awful pain, especially at night, and I can't eat cheese or fatty food.
My consultant told me the op is under one hour, keyhole surgery and has low risk. There are risks of course but only 1 in 1000 have any issues. I'm not worried as the benefit outweighs any risk to me.
You could opt out of the surgery and eat a very low fat diet to control the pain if you wanted to, I just can't cope with the pain any more and my threshold is high. The pain I get is under my right rib and behind my right shoulder.
My advice is also to stay off "Dr Google"!!!

Hey Hazel,
Glad your finally sorted u brave woman u, lol. See, why cant i be like that & just go ahead & book the surgery!
Yea, mine started about May of this year, had a few really bad attacks back then, a couple of times ended me up in A&E, then had ultrasound n confirmed gallstones, a few small ones!
I put myself on a Low fat diet though i ate quite healthy before hand, ive cut out dairy, bacon n stuff like that which seemed to of helped a lot since ive had no more BAD attacks since, just now the last few weeks ive been gettin a few niggles! Im gettin a bit bored with the bland foos too now & have to miss all the family meals or just go anyway & sit drooling while they all eat :)
Let me know how u go on mate, i think i should talk to my real doc & not Doctor Google, lol.
Good luck & stay in touch! Jay!

muzicdejay
05-10-10, 14:40
its about 19th oct hope all goes well for you:)
Wish him luck & let me know how he goes on!
Thanks agin! :)

gypsywomen
05-10-10, 15:10
i will he is scared ,i think we all are its normal will let you know x

joans60
05-10-10, 15:31
Hi there I hav e just read your post
I had my gallbladder removed about 15 years ago and it was the best thing that I could have had done
If I can go through with it you can I am petrified of hospitals
You will feel alot better after you have had the operation
Good Luck

Joanx

Hazel B
05-10-10, 18:03
I know what you mean about bland food, it's so boring! And I would love to have a bacon and sausage sandwich but it's not worth the pain!

I was more anxious about the "unknown" as the scans went on for months and they kept worrying about my liver, which is OK now, a benign lesion was found. I've had lots of ops before so that bit doesn't bother me, it's my mind that makes me think the worst at diagnostic stage!

Take care!

muzicdejay
07-10-10, 09:50
Hi there I hav e just read your post
I had my gallbladder removed about 15 years ago and it was the best thing that I could have had done
If I can go through with it you can I am petrified of hospitals
You will feel alot better after you have had the operation
Good Luck

Joanx
Thanks Joanx
I know im just been stupid & a lot of people have said its the best thing theyve done but i only seem to remember the BAD experiences ive heard about & as usual assume that ill have a bad experience!
I wish i didnt think this way all the time, life would be so much easier!
Glad your feeling a lot better since you had yours removed & thanks again for the reply!
Jay

muzicdejay
07-10-10, 09:58
I know what you mean about bland food, it's so boring! And I would love to have a bacon and sausage sandwich but it's not worth the pain!

I was more anxious about the "unknown" as the scans went on for months and they kept worrying about my liver, which is OK now, a benign lesion was found. I've had lots of ops before so that bit doesn't bother me, it's my mind that makes me think the worst at diagnostic stage!

Take care!
Mmmmm, bacon & sausage!
Ive been living off Readybrek, prunes & tunafish last 6 months Oh & the odd bag of snackajacks seem to be ok, I do splash out sometimes & do myself a shepherds pie, well i call it that when really its just a bit of Quorn topped with plain mashed potato, lol. its heaven though & i get quite excited about it just before i eat it, How Sad, hee hee.
Well when i went for my scan it took her ages to find my gallbladder so then i went into complete panic, she did eventually find it though & i had a few small stones! :mad:

Hazel B
07-10-10, 11:45
I've been on porridge, fish, mushy peas, fruit and veg and the odd bit of lean beef. If they don't operate before Xmas I'll be miserable as I love Xmas dinner!
I used to love cheese and crisps as well but they cause pain too!

ljd
07-10-10, 13:10
Hi,
I was seriously ill a few years ago with pancreatitus gall stones getting stuck in my pancreatic duct!!!

as a result i had my gall bladder removed and i was so scared about the op but if i didnt have it done it would of caused more problems.

Its scary but its a minor op and easy nowadays through key hole surgery and quite common as with all surgerys they all have risks to them but this is done quite often and is successful. Only you can make a desicion whether to have the op or leave it and way and see if the gallstones desolve. It best to avoid fatty foods if you have gallstones, but now after my op i can eat what i want within reason.

I know its scary but if your in pain then it better than being in pain all the time. i put up with my pain for a few years to long which led to futher complications.

tc

muzicdejay
07-10-10, 13:37
I've been on porridge, fish, mushy peas, fruit and veg and the odd bit of lean beef. If they don't operate before Xmas I'll be miserable as I love Xmas dinner!
I used to love cheese and crisps as well but they cause pain too!

I know, Xmas dinner, Oh god i can picture myself sitting with the family with a bowl of oats & water saying "Please Mum, Can I Have Some More" lol.
Dont you know yet then when your having your opp? x

muzicdejay
07-10-10, 13:40
Hi,
I was seriously ill a few years ago with pancreatitus gall stones getting stuck in my pancreatic duct!!!

as a result i had my gall bladder removed and i was so scared about the op but if i didnt have it done it would of caused more problems.

Its scary but its a minor op and easy nowadays through key hole surgery and quite common as with all surgerys they all have risks to them but this is done quite often and is successful. Only you can make a desicion whether to have the op or leave it and way and see if the gallstones desolve. It best to avoid fatty foods if you have gallstones, but now after my op i can eat what i want within reason.

I know its scary but if your in pain then it better than being in pain all the time. i put up with my pain for a few years to long which led to futher complications.

tc

Thanks for the reply, yea thats what i worry about if i get more complications with leaving them!
I am slowly coming around to the idea of surgery & thinking id much rather a short stay in hospital than a couple of weeks stay if i get seriously ill!
Glad you got sorted out in the end!
How did u feel after you had the opp?

Hazel B
07-10-10, 14:45
The waiting list is "up to 18 weeks" so I just have to wait and see. It's minor surgery and a day case, they told me I'd be a bit sore afterwards and need to rest for 2 weeks. I had a nasty bone disease when I was a child, so the idea it's a minor op doesn't worry me. I've also had all my wisdom teeth out and that is absolutely awful!

The one good thing is that I've lost weight! No meals out, take-aways or fat!

muzicdejay
07-10-10, 16:33
The waiting list is "up to 18 weeks" so I just have to wait and see. It's minor surgery and a day case, they told me I'd be a bit sore afterwards and need to rest for 2 weeks. I had a nasty bone disease when I was a child, so the idea it's a minor op doesn't worry me. I've also had all my wisdom teeth out and that is absolutely awful!

The one good thing is that I've lost weight! No meals out, take-aways or fat!

god you sound as though youve been through the wars a bit :ohmy:
Hope your feeling ok now?
Well good luck in getting your surgery date, Ill keep in touch & let you know how i go on!
Yea Ive lost weight though i didnt have much loose in the 1st place. ive managed keep it stable now for last few months!
take care of yourself huni! :hugs:

Hazel B
07-10-10, 17:18
Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on. The worst part is pain at night, it keeps me awake, but I'm on the list now after months of tests and scans, I had imagined much worst!

I've lost 2 stones but needed to!

Let me know what you decide to do. :)

ljd
07-10-10, 19:57
hi

Yeh i was lucky they caught it just in time. The op does not take very long i was only in one night or sometimes they let you out same day. It hurt a little bit but not as much as the pains i was getting before. i dont even notice i had my gall bladder removed occasionally a bit bloated but just take digestive enzymes or probiotics when that happens. Im sure th op will go fine. I was scared to but it was nothing compared to the treatment i need in hoso while i had my pancreatitus.
tc

muzicdejay
08-10-10, 10:14
hi

Yeh i was lucky they caught it just in time. The op does not take very long i was only in one night or sometimes they let you out same day. It hurt a little bit but not as much as the pains i was getting before. i dont even notice i had my gall bladder removed occasionally a bit bloated but just take digestive enzymes or probiotics when that happens. Im sure th op will go fine. I was scared to but it was nothing compared to the treatment i need in hoso while i had my pancreatitus.
tc

Glad you got sorted out.
Thats it too, better a quick a stay in hospital than been in for days if i get pancreatitus, to be honest now im just glad that it will be gone, The pains really do get you down!
Thanks for getting back, take care!
Jay:)