PDA

View Full Version : Maltodextrin?

Estranged
05-10-10, 16:50
I have been watching my food I eat in order to try and keep a record of any "possible" foods I may allergic to, which may bring on my Anxiety attacks, I have a feeling that Monosodium Glutamate (MSG) maybe a contributing factor.

I had a small Anxiety attack this morning and tried to recall a different food I had eaten, it was processed cheese slices, which contains Maltodextrin, along with 2 weeks ago (which seemed to have been my last "serious" Anxiety attack), Soup that contained MSG and Maltodextrin, other then that I had an antihistamine at night to fight off a cold I have...

Has anyone else heard or had any problems with Maltodextrin?or antihistamines? (Buckleys Night And Day Flu Capsules)

Thank You

olderfella
05-10-10, 17:46
Hi Maltodextrin is a sweetner that is easily metabolized by the body for quik energy it is in a lot of sports drinks as it is more or less instant energy,i consume a fair bit of it as its in a lot of things that i eat or drink as im into bodybuilding,the only problem i could see you having would be that your consuming to much of it and it is having the affect of over stimulation making you a bit anxious,msg is just a man made salt used in most fast foods as a flavour enhancer that has been known to cause headaches,nausea,sweating and palpatations,the only way you will find out if these items are the cause of your anxiety is to remove them from your diet,for a while hope this helps:)

Estranged
05-10-10, 18:30
Thanks OlderFella

I read some where that chances are if Maltodextrin are in a food, usually MSG is there as well...so im not sure but I will have to read more and certainly cut MSG out of my diet

Dahlia
05-10-10, 19:27
Well, the antihistamine would probably have helped your anxiety, rather than worsened it, as they tend to be sedating. They can also help counteract problems you might get from food additives.

Personally I can't go anywhere near aspartame (another artificial sweetener), or sulphites (found in wine, beer and various processed foods), as they trigger anxiety, fluishing, sweating, terrible headache, nausea and diarrhoea. I don't think it's an allergy - but a sensitivity. It's exactly the same for my mum, who doesn't have anxiety (but is allergic to certain food colourings).

MSG is notorious for all sorts of symptoms, so I would say, yes, it could be exacerbating your anxiety.

Estranged
05-10-10, 21:22
Thanks Dahllia
everyone has been great here... its so frustrating trying to narrow down to whats causing these things, especially when your cleared physically with your Heart and Blood work.. but I am determined to find out if its Stress "which I don't really have but yet still get the Anxiety Attacks" or is it something I am eating...

Arrrrrrggggg Frustrated :wacko:

Dahlia
05-10-10, 22:08
You're welcome :-) Another thought - keep away from caffeine....

Estranged
05-10-10, 23:38
No caffiene since my first attack on August 8th :)