PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol

Jebdog
05-10-10, 18:36
My physical symptoms mainly manifest in the stomach - anxious stomach and too much adrenaline following. My heart rate doesn't actually get too bad.

My question is does this medication help with the feeling of too much adrenaline following/anxious stomach or is it only for heart rate slowing down?

gypsywomen
05-10-10, 18:53
yes it does help,,:)

Hazel B
05-10-10, 19:51
It helped my heart rate and butterfly tummy.

Jebdog
06-10-10, 17:12
I'm wondering whether to ask the doctor about this in line with fluxotine which I take at the moment. Fluxotine has been decent for my low moods and keeping me away from them but hasn't really been effective when my anxiety/GAD hits. Maybe this could help in particular with the annoying stomach aches/pains.

gypsywomen
06-10-10, 17:14
it doesn't interact with your meds

Jebdog
06-10-10, 19:05
Well I may put it forward, I believe if I can get a grip on the physical symptoms I can work on the mental ones. Often when the physical symptoms go I tend to come out of the latest bad spell. Does Propranolol block the adrenhaline surge feeling? (Almost like the feeling of dread)?

Hazel B
06-10-10, 19:10
It did for me, my heart has calmed down and tummy settled. I can also be more rational about my anxious thoughts and health worries. I'm also having counselling, so it's a mix of that and meds.

Jebdog
06-10-10, 19:41
What other meds are you on Hazel B? Are you on Propranolol gypsywomen?

Hazel B
06-10-10, 20:53
Nothing else, just Propranolol. I had Diazepam for a few days at my worst but don't need it now.

jujuedmonds
07-10-10, 16:59
hi, i have just started taking propanolol 80mg daily for my anxiety. I have seen results already, not as anxious and dont need to tidy things and clean every minute of the day. My mood has improved and i have only been on it for less than a week. Don't know if it works that fast. The only problem I am finding is that i am exhausted all the time and I am falling asleep nearly anywhere. Will this subside with time? cause I am really enjoying the aniexty relieving effects after years of being anxious.

Hazel B
07-10-10, 17:01
I get tired with Propranolol but my body is probably worn out after weeks of anxiety too, it's difficult to tell which is affecting me. I'm hoping to cut down on the Propranolol soon.

shropshire_lad
11-10-10, 21:53
I was on Inderal (propranolol) 160mg LA for many years, kept the horrible tachycardia at bay from my panic attacks but not all the other anxious symptoms and thoughts.

Overall I wish I had not used this medication as I did suffer numerous side effects, although minor, led to a lower quality of life. It made my insomnia somewhat worse - I have since read it lowers nocturanal melatonin release with long term use which would explain that. It also made intense physical exercise pretty much impossible. I would get "lead" legs on mountain walks, running was pretty much impossible at any decent tempo and weight training lacked any fizz. I also think it impaired my memory, although that maybe due to the years clocking up!

I switched over to the 40 mg Inderal instant release to use as and when my anxiety/panic occured which was more useful, although again it never addressed all the symptoms or root cause. I think as a temporary solution it maybe helpful but not for as long as I spent on it - around 8 years.

amandah
18-10-10, 16:09
Hello, I am on this med for anxiety. I used to be on 160 mg per day. But now on 80 mg and feel really anxious at the moment. Due to a number of reasons, mainly stress and also I might have to go into Hospital to have a number of teeth out. Which scares me.I also take rescue remedy as well. My hormones are all over the place as well.Anyway I hope that someone can please give me advise Thank-you regards amandah