PDA

View Full Version : everything falling apart

lonely
05-10-10, 20:59
well last week my gp and psychiatrist took the medication off me that really helped me, as they are worried about my heart and won't prescribe anything else

and they told me to focus on the therapy sessions instead, well today therapist confirms what i had thought for a long time, that they don't think therapy is working for me, not that im not trying, but for some it works, oovers it doesn't, and now will have to see what happens when they speak to their bosses :weep:

soo great i lose a mdeication and looks like therapy has had it too, soo much for what gp said to me, despite me trying to tell gp i try soo hard as it is

trooper
12-10-10, 02:23
Sorry to hear you're struggling.

So the GP referred you to a psychiatrist and after some time this has not been very successful!?

TBH, I don't personally think Psychiatry is very effective full stop.

Could you ask to be referred to a different kind of therapy or is that all that is on offer?

What is the presenting problem? Depression or anxiety, or a mixture?

Could you see a CBT therapist for example?

I can hear that you feel disheartened by this, maybe even a little abandoned / rejected and I can empathise why.

At the end of the day though, if you have been diagnosed with Dep/anxiety in anyway shape or form, its the doctors duty to try and help you get better.

I would persevere, go back explain what has happened, let them know you want to get better and politely ask what other options are available other than what you have tried and thus far have not worked.

The only other alternative would be to find someone privately if you can afford it?

lonely
12-10-10, 11:51
its the cbt that isn't working

~glowly worm~
12-10-10, 15:20
try not to lose hope lonely,

Sounds advice from trooper there! :)

Trooper is right, cbt is not the only therapy, there are hundreds and hundreds, it might be that mindfulness, dbt, psychotherapy, art therapy...... or something else from the numerous list works better. Plus it could be the therapist too ;) The therapist makes all the difference x

Have u thought of researching other therapies yourself and seeing if any sound like htey may help and asking to try them? This may/may not be an option in your area but hope it helps a little.

Thinking of you x

ElizabethJane
12-10-10, 17:36
Sorry to hear you're struggling.

So the GP referred you to a psychiatrist and after some time this has not been very successful!?

TBH, I don't personally think Psychiatry is very effective full stop.

Could you ask to be referred to a different kind of therapy or is that all that is on offer?

What is the presenting problem? Depression or anxiety, or a mixture?

Could you see a CBT therapist for example?

I can hear that you feel disheartened by this, maybe even a little abandoned / rejected and I can empathise why.

At the end of the day though, if you have been diagnosed with Dep/anxiety in anyway shape or form, its the doctors duty to try and help you get better.

I would persevere, go back explain what has happened, let them know you want to get better and politely ask what other options are available other than what you have tried and thus far have not worked.

The only other alternative would be to find someone privately if you can afford it?
Hi Trooper hi Lonely. I disagree with your statement Trooper that psychiatry is not very effective. I am sorry that you have found that in your experience. I have an excellent psychiatrist who has effectively diagnosed and treated my severe depression. I am currently well. I do believe it is about personalities and psychiatrists are good at diagnosing severe mental illness and treating it with drugs. I have experience of most therapies known to woman and man. It has been drug treatment that has kept me well. I have also spoken to a GP recently (not mine) who has said that he can do everything that a psychiatrist can do. I am just putting over these opinions and saying that we can't dismiss one thing out of hand that might help us to get well. Maybe lonely you should go back to your GP and tell him that you are struggling. I am sure that there is more they can do for you. Are you still seeing the CMHT? Take care EJ.

lonely
12-10-10, 19:45
yes im still seeing the cmht, my next psychiatrist appointment was not until january, but they had me in last week instead, as i went up to A&E week before in a state asking to speak to them, i didn't see main psychiatrist but one of his junior doctors, i go again in nov

ElizabethJane
12-10-10, 22:12
Hi Lonely I think that you need to tell the CMHT how you are? If you have a CPN she/he might speak to the psychiatrist and tell him that you are struggling without meds/ no support? The psychiatrist might be thinking of a way to treat you. EJ.

trooper
14-10-10, 02:22
Hi Trooper hi Lonely. I disagree with your statement Trooper that psychiatry is not very effective. I am sorry that you have found that in your experience. I have an excellent psychiatrist who has effectively diagnosed and treated my severe depression. I am currently well. I do believe it is about personalities and psychiatrists are good at diagnosing severe mental illness and treating it with drugs. I have experience of most therapies known to woman and man. It has been drug treatment that has kept me well. I have also spoken to a GP recently (not mine) who has said that he can do everything that a psychiatrist can do. I am just putting over these opinions and saying that we can't dismiss one thing out of hand that might help us to get well. Maybe lonely you should go back to your GP and tell him that you are struggling. I am sure that there is more they can do for you. Are you still seeing the CMHT? Take care EJ.

Fair point, its my personal opinion but I wouldn't want to un-duly prejudice anyone, whatever works - works at the end of the day.