PDA

View Full Version : blood pressure worries!

cherrie32
05-10-10, 23:00
Hi,
I have never had any problems with my blood pressure but since I went to the doctors a few weeks ago and he said it was slightly high but nothing to worry about, I have been obssessed with taking it at home. At the moment it is 132/90. I have started getting hot flushes which then makes me feel like my blood pressure is high. The only reason I went a few weeks ago was because of the hot flushes and feeling not myself.

Cherrie

Going home
05-10-10, 23:09
Hi cherrie, if the hot flushes are connected to the menopause ( I won't ask your age) then its quite common to have raised BP with it. I had never suffered with raised BP, not even through 4 pregnancies and 2 divorces and half a lifetime of stress! My BP was always steady, and on the low side if anything which always amazed me to be honest. But 3 years ago my BP was found to be high and my doctor said it was really common in women approaching or going through the menopause. I'd already stopped my periods and had been having hot flushes for a few years, but three years ago everything seemed to go haywire and I piled on weight too, without changing what I ate. Anxiety symptoms came back with a vengeance too, after being anxiety free for some years, and that's why I joined this forum.

Try not to get yourself too worried about this reading, its not that high to be honest compared to alot of people (at its worst mine read 170 over 110, although its much more stable now thankfully and is usually around 140 over 80 taking beta-blockers I have to say, and my doc is happy with that). Age can alter BP so a person in their 50's wouldn't have the BP of a 20 year old, unless super-fit!

Anna xx :)

SHYGIRLAJB
05-10-10, 23:45
Hi,

Oh that isn't too bad. I had mine checked couple of weeks ago and it was 160 / 100 eeek. I go back on Monday, to have it checked again, hopefully it will be lesser. But just recently had like 4 or so blood pressure tests done and most of them has come back high.

Anita. XX.

ewood79
06-10-10, 01:36
What we also must remember is that when we are anxious are blood pressure will naturally rise slightly, mine is normally around the 130/70...........with anxiety and stressfull days it goes to 140/80 ish.....

Relax, your blood pressure is A OK!!!! :yesyes:

Jaco45er
06-10-10, 05:58
132/90 is nothing to worry about :)

Infact, unless your BP was constantly above 160/100, only then would a GP consider medication.

A BP in the mild hypertension bracket (140/90 to 160/100) is still considered a small risk to the majority of people (unless there are other health factors).

My own BP goes from 164/90 to 138/85 through the day, and so far the Doc aint concerned (or maybe he just don't like me ;))

You are fine :)

jada
06-10-10, 14:45
I was told to monitor my bp at home and it became an obsession with me! The more I monitored it, the more stressed I got and the more stressed I got, the more my bp shot up! Vicious circle! It went to 185/105 :scared15:
My doc put me on medication for anxiety last week and apart from monitoring it once this week (135/77 phew!) I have ignored it.

Jaco45er
06-10-10, 15:14
Oh jada tell me about it ;)

Sometimes I think it's the worst thing I ever done, buying a monitor for home.

ladybird64
06-10-10, 15:18
Haven't you lobbed that machine in the bin yet Jaco? :winks:

I'm curious actually, I see so many posts on here where the GP has advised home monitoring and I'm wondering why. :shrug:

For those that have been asked to monitor is it weekly, daily or what?

Jaco45er
06-10-10, 15:27
It's a nightmare Lady.

On one hand they tell you you must KNOW YOUR NUMBERS lol then I have had GP's tell me "what are you thinking? buying a BP monitor when you have Health Anx".

I have read so much about BP, I could do Mastermind on it as a chosen subject.

There is this magic number 140/90, so everyone thinks that anything over that and we are all ticking time bombs. But the more I read the more conflicting views by professionals there is.

I think (and I could be wrong) that as long as you are not banging about 160/100 constantly, and I do mean it never comes down, and you have no other risk factors, then the risk is still small.

However, I am always told by GP's that "ideally" it should be near to 120/80 for an even lower risk.

I asked a doc how do i get there, he said:

More exercise: Ok

Less Salt: No worries

No Smoking: Don't smoke

More Fruit & Veg: Fine love all that

Overweight: Err I prefer to call it chunky :)

And cut down on the wine: This was the point were i lost interest and left ;)

jada
06-10-10, 15:27
Haven't you lobbed that machine in the bin yet Jaco? :winks:

I'm curious actually, I see so many posts on here where the GP has advised home monitoring and I'm wondering why. :shrug:

For those that have been asked to monitor is it weekly, daily or what?

My silly doctor suggested that I monitored it FOUR times a DAY!!!:shrug:...and to jot down what I was doing at the time....derrr!!!!...sitting on the sofa with a monitor strapped to my arm!!!!:doh: No wonder I was b****y stressed!!!!

jada
06-10-10, 15:33
And cut down on the wine: This was the point were i lost interest and left ;)

Pass me a glass Jaco :)

Cheers :yesyes:

Jan x

ladybird64
06-10-10, 15:39
OMG!! I'm sorry Jaco and jada, I shouldn't laugh..but I am. :D

I'm lucky in the respect that I don't have HA and worry not a jot about my blood pressure..ahem..which happens to be high. :blush: I very reluctantly take medication for it but I am absolutely awful at taking my health issues seriously.

I just can't see what useful purpose home monitoring serves, I was under the impression that GP's would just get you to come into the surgery maybe weekly for a while so they could keep an eye on things.

Your doc sounds a right nut Jada..4 times a day??!! That would be enough to cause a high BP in anyone. :lac:

Right, I'm off to the docs..any prizes for guessing what for? Wish me luck! :whistles:

ladybird64
06-10-10, 15:40
Pass me a glass Jaco :)

Cheers :yesyes:

Jan x

And the salt for me ta very much. :D

jada
06-10-10, 15:47
OMG!! I'm sorry Jaco and jada, I shouldn't laugh..but I am. :D

Right, I'm off to the docs..any prizes for guessing what for? Wish me luck! :whistles:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Good Luck!:)
(I've got a home monitor should you be needing one!:D)

lavender123
06-10-10, 17:17
hello everybody, i bought a blood pressure machine, ditigal anyway everytime i use it its really high, and kills my arm, so i dont use it, i suffer from white coat syndrome, every time the doctor takes my b/p my heart starts racing, and i know its going to be high, iv tried rescue remedy, but nothing work, unless i take valium, and i will be feeling tired all day, no hope!!! i have also got a tablet phobia, and my colestral is 6.8. i have been taking benecol drinks and butter, any suggestions to lower colestral will be appreciated. thanks/:ohmy: