PDA

View Full Version : what age where you - i dont get why they did this to me?

randomworry
07-10-10, 09:28
hi guys

ive just found out that citalopram is not licensed for people under 18 because they dont know the effects of it on a childs brain.

i was started on it at 17 though like some sort of guiea pig....i feel really angry about this!

anyone else start under 18!?

i know i cant change the past but just wanted to see if this happend to anyone else?

suzy-sue
07-10-10, 21:59
I do remember a lady whos son was on it at 16 .Maybe they did the best they thought possible .Depression can be very hard to treat sometimes without drugs .Sometimes the end justifys the means .You are still here after all . There was a lot of bad reports about teenagers getting suicidal on ssris .I suggest this is why they havnt licensed it for under 18 s . It is in other countrys tho if I remember correctly .Are you still taking it and did it /is it helping ? Sue

Jen84
11-10-10, 12:49
Hi

I dont reply too often on the site but your post caught my eye! I totally agree with how you feel, I was just 17 when a doctor gave me seroxat, I was ill for two weeks straight and been on and off medication ever since! I do feel things would have been different had I not started them but at the same time they have helped alot over the years!

Jen x

Steff
11-10-10, 19:09
I started on Citalopram when I was 18. They use it on younger people as a like relief of anxiety. But, I don't think doctors realise the struggle younger people have coming off this medication, since it's only supposed to be used for 6 months and I'm still taking it after about 9 months. Hmm :S

Steff

radougalkins
12-10-10, 18:31
When I was 14/15 I was really bad at exam times and my anxiety was affecting my life a lot by then already. Was given diazepam for exams only to calm me down and stuff to stop me feeling sick. Wasn't long term though. My anxiety went on to ruin my life, up until feb this year when it all became too much. Doctor prescribed me citalopram and I haven't looked back. This was from my new dr at uni though.

Turns out my previous doctor did think about citalopram for me back when I was struggling at school but because of the law he couldn't or didn't. I really hate that.

I get why you would be angry though, I guess I'm the opposite of you though! I'm angry because I wasn't given the choice to try it :(