PDA

View Full Version : valerian?Any good?

Juliet
03-03-04, 16:57
Just wondering if anyone has tried taking valerian at all and if it is helpful for panic and anxiety?

I have a bottle of 'kalms' and wondered whether to start taking them.My hubby seems to remember seeing that it can increase anxiety initially,so I was a bit dubious.

Any advise guys?

T

nomorepanic
03-03-04, 20:21
Hiya

I take Valerian to help me sleep and it is great. It is completely natural and I doubt very much that it can increase the anxiety as it is all natural herbs.

A lot on here take it too - enter Kalms in the search box at the top of the page.

Nicola

Meg
03-03-04, 22:48
Valarian is fine and very gentle. I've not known it to cause more anx.

The tincture is more potent than any tabs. Depends on the effect you want.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

nomorepanic
04-03-04, 21:24
Meg

Quick question? I am taking 3 x valerian tablets a night for sleep. I take it that it is ok to take these sort of herbal remedies long term without any effects cos I have been taking them for weeks now.

I guess not but just though I would check as you can take too many vitamins (for eg) and they are supposed to be good for you!!

Nicola

Meg
04-03-04, 22:57
If thats what it says on the packet the that's fine .
You might want to alternate with Passiflora if you start getting tolerant .

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

twister
04-03-04, 23:25
get some Kava Kava, that was my lifesaver before meds....

Emily

Lottie32
05-03-04, 14:18
Em

I liked Kava Kava too, but I thought they'd stopped selling it cos it allegedly pickled your kidneys (or something)

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Juliet
05-03-04, 14:44
Thanks everyone.All advise taken on board....what a brainy lot you all are! T xx

Lottie32
05-03-04, 14:58
Don't know about brains - just plenty of sympathetic suffering!

We've got the T shirt and we like sharing our cures with the newly afflicted! Hopefully, this way, you won't be afflicted for long!

Hope you are feeling a bit better Juliet - even if it's only knowing that there are other "mad" people out there who are willing to support you all the way

Charlie

diana
05-03-04, 16:24
Charlie,

You say the funniest things!!!!!!!!!!!! I get such a kick out of some of your posts :).

Sorry not much to add here, as all of these posts have good advice and info.

I will just add that my experience with Valerian has all been positive, except for the horrid smell :{ ewwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can even taste it when I birp or belch. LOL.......... :D

I hope everyone is having an anxiety/panic free day.

Take care,

Diana xxx

Lottie32
05-03-04, 16:33
Dearest Diana

I take Omega 3 fish oil and garlic capsules every morning.

Think yourself lucky you don't share an office with me - I can't get through the morning without at least one fishy garlic burp!

And the only reason I'm taking Omega 3 is because I hate all the fish that are full of it.

Yuk - smoked salmon and garlic

Love Charlie

p.s. What was funny about that last post? Or have I completely lost the plot!

Charlie

nomorepanic
05-03-04, 20:04
Thanks Meg I may try the Passiflora instead.

It says on the pack take from 1-4 but 2 never made any difference so I am on 3 for now.

Nicola

diana
08-03-04, 19:07
Charlie,

Just thought the "T-Shirt" statement was funny, I wish I had one LOL................. :)

Silly I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie I don`t envy you with the fish oil, and garlic combo.

However I think I might actually enjoy sharing an office with you. Inspite of the fish oil and garlic combo LoL.... :)

You are just so kind, caring and funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone I think I would actually enjoy being around. ;-D

I was just wondering, since you mentioned "GARLIC" have you ever heard that the garlic tabs are good for "high Blood Pressure"? I am considering them for that purpose, do you know if they are effective for this purpose at all?

Take care dear,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
08-03-04, 19:47
In large quantities they are effective.

Meg

diana
08-03-04, 20:06
Meg,

What would be considered "LARGE" quantities, and would "LARGE" quantities do more harm than good?

Take care,

Diana xxxxx

Meg
09-03-04, 15:39
Dear Diana,

Well, the studies were mainly using 600- 900 mg of garlic extract . The more potent supplement for helping control Blood pressure is Co-enzyme Q10. Check it out first though.

Also ensure you're chomping on walnuts - 9 a day - and having enough calcium. Walnuts apart from a great complex carbohydrate have a load of selenium and vit E in them- both good for hearts and BP.

Meg

diana
09-03-04, 20:07
Thanks Meg for the info.

I will check on the Coenzyme Q10. So the Coenzyme Q10 instead of just the Garlic extract correct?

I`ll make sure I get my (9) walnuts a day in to. I love them, no problem there LOL........ :).

Do you think I should be taking a seperate Calcium supplement? I mean I get my milk and yogurts in, but I use Fat Free milk, so I`m not sure if that is sufficient or not.

Have you heard anything one way or the other about the Viactiv (check spelling) for a good Calcium supplement?

I hate to bother you with all these questions it`s just that you give so much more in depth information about things than your average Joe.

I really appreciate your help though. :-D

Take care,

Diana xxxx

nomorepanic
09-03-04, 20:28
Meg

So having a walnut tree in your back garden and 4 carrier bags full of walnuts in the airing cupboard would make you popular then - lol. ;)

I daren't eat them - I would scoff the lot and not good for my diet. I know they are good for the cholesterol level though.

Nicola

Meg
09-03-04, 21:08
Bring some up in May - Not allowed on RC though eh ,or could you just ration yourself to a few , might get your BP down a bit !

Diana, One or the other will be enough.

Find a helpful , knowledgable independent health food shop owner. They can be a huge source of info. I don't know that brand over here.
The calcium is in the protein not the fat so you're still getting it from your milk.

I don't know about the Q10 with diabetes or other meds and conditions - so you'll need to look into that first.

Meg

nomorepanic
09-03-04, 21:33
Meg - yeah sod the diet but have a low blood pressure and low cholesterol - lol

Nicola

diana
10-03-04, 00:29
Thanks Meg,

I am going to check at my local Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow about the Q10 with diabetes and other meds and so forth. Thanks for all of the info.

Take care,

Diana xxxxx