PDA

View Full Version : help - terrible sleep problem

hamster lady
08-10-10, 10:51
I am in a terrible state at the moment and I don't know how much more I can take of this. Over a month ago in August I woke up one night sweating and my heart was racing. I was terrified and thought I was having a heart attack and then I ended up with a terrible panic attack. Since then the problem has been recurring and I have not had a good nights sleep since. I have no problem getting to sleep but I wake up in the early hours of the morning either feeling really hot and sweating or I wake up with terrible dreams and nightmares and this causes my heart to race and I have been having nighttime panic attacks.

I have also ended up with terrible anxiety and panic attacks during the day which is causing me to feel agarophobic, walking my son to school and walking the dog are a real struggle I just want to get home and feel panicky the whole time.

My husband was worried about me and told me to go to the doctors about my sleep problem and I went on Wednesday. I described my symptoms and she took my blood pressure which was OK and listened to my heart and said that it was fine but going fast, I was really panicky in there! She asked me if I had been stressed recently and I said yes because I have had a lot of problems with my rescue dog, she has been acting very aggressively to other dogs and I have not been coping with it very well. She said that she thinks my symptoms are caused by anxiety but that she would like to take a blood test to rule out things like thyroid problems and she also wants to do an ECG to rule out any heart problems. I am having the blood test and ECG next Thursday.

I am terrified as to what is wrong with me, I have never had trouble sleeping before, I have certainly never woken up sweating before. I tried taking Valerian root but it made my nightmares worse so I've stopped taking it. The doctor said that antidepressants, valium or propanol will help my anxiety but I'm not the sort of person to take drugs, I would much rather talk about it with somebody. I have been wondering whether I could possibly be having menopausal symptoms because of the night sweating but I am only 39. I have also wondered whether it could be anything to do with sleep apnea because last year I woke up a couple of times not being able to breathe this has also happened last week. I am worried that there is something wrong with my heart and that is causing the sweating and nightmares but I guess it could also be the other way round. I still don't feel relieved even though she said my heart seemed fine because I'm worried something is going to show up on the ECG. I do keep myself healthy, I don't smoke, I walk everywhere, eat really healthily and I don't drink much alcohol.

Have any of you guys had a similar problem to me, was it just anxiety that caused it? I am so worried and fed up, any advice would be very much appreciated. Sorry about the long post.

paula lynne
08-10-10, 11:07
Hi Im Paula, also 39. Had insomnia off and on for years, and the past year or so terrible night sweats also. It could be pre-menopausal my gp said, and also tingling and panic worse.
Youve associated night time and sleep with panic attacks, probably to the point where you are scared of going to sleep. My anx is also worse in a relaxed state.
I know you said you werent keen on meds, valium etc, but I really think in this instance, just a short course would really help you. Lack of sleep can make us feel we are going mad!x
If you do take them for a while, it will give you chance to get some much needed sleep, and may help you break the cycle of..bedtime/panic. I really hope you feel better soon hun. Lavender helps. Also a milky drink before bed, as it contains tryptophans which promote sleep (thats why we give milky drinks to patients in hospital).
Hope you feel much better very soon xxxxxx:hugs:

hamster lady
08-10-10, 11:21
Hi Paula and thank you very much for your reply, I'm sorry to hear that you have had problems with sleep and anxiety too. It is interesting that your GP said that your symptoms could be pre-menopausal, I was hoping that I might be able to have a test to rule that out but the doctor didn't mention anything about it. I will definitely try the hot milk and lavender, anything is worth a try at the moment! I have never had so many horrible dreams in my whole life, I never feel refreshed in the morning, just exhausted, I dream so much it feels like I am awake all night! Thank you so much again for your advice, it is very much appreciated. I wish you all the best too.:)

paula lynne
08-10-10, 11:26
You can ask your gp for a hormone test to rule out menopause, Im having one next month. x Ive had periods since I was ten and a half, so early menopause is common if you start early....ITS NOT A HOT FLUSH ITS A POWER SURGE!!!!! thats my fridge magnet! x
Try the diaz for a week, youll sleep and break the cycle Im sure.
Im agoraphobic to, but go out every day even into the garden, and count that as success...dont give up xxx

JaneC
08-10-10, 11:34
There is a blood test that will show whether you are perimenopausal, hamster lady, you could ask your doc if that is being included. Like Paula, I find lavender good for insomnia - it does sound like you have a lot of stress and anxiety going on in your life. Hope you feel better x