PDA

View Full Version : need to get a train!!!!!!! agggggghhhhhhhhhh

bighomer13
08-10-10, 15:09
hi all sorry to be a pain in the back side but i would love advice on this one............

i have got to take a 3 hour train ride and i am totally bricking this journey!!!!!!! :weep:

its something that i have got to do because there is someone extremely special to me that i have got to meet and there is no chance of them coming to me.

just want advice on how to do this?

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

forgot to say that its this monday or tuesday that i have to go..............................

sharon35
08-10-10, 15:12
Could you listen to some music or do a puzzle or play cards.
It might help you to relax.
Hope you have a great time when you get there. xx

bighomer13
08-10-10, 15:18
music or puzzles will just make me panic even more i also suffer with travel sickness of all the things to suffer with too!!!!!

think i would be better if i werent here some days. :(

Ambers
08-10-10, 15:20
I've been there! I am currently doing lots of small trips although I believe I don't know if I could do longer than 20 mins - but I could try and help as I went from complete panic on trains to actually getting on alone for 20 mins.

Firstly - can you give me some information on your journey - for example is it all train or is there any other transport involved?

What is the driver for your panic?

I will try and help.

Ambers
08-10-10, 15:32
PS - I find music and puzzles made me worse too - I felt trapped by the music and travel sick with the puzzles - but for some it is a godsend to be distracted by these means.

paula lynne
08-10-10, 15:34
Mints are good for travel sickness...the stronger the better. Music is an excellent distraction...close your eyes and let your mind wander to happy thoughts about the person you are going to see....x You can do it x:)

belgarion
08-10-10, 17:18
Distractions are always good. If reading and games are going to make you worse with travel sickness, then maybe make a friend on the train. Some people won't like to talk, but most don't mind. Even a small chat with someone will help you know there is someone near who can help if you really need it, and just that thought may be all you need. I've done that before, and sometimes I don't even talk to people. Just another person near is enough to comfort me.

I love the tag for this message. I'm going to see how many others are tagged "aggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh". :D

Oh, another good 1 is using the time to catch up with friends on your mobile. Just give them a call, or ask someone to be around their phone at that time of day. Talk rubbish, or anything, time will fly! You posted this 2 hours ago, and I bet the it doesn't feel that long ago..

All the best!

Nigel
08-10-10, 17:48
Hi bighomer13,

One tip is to keep thinking about all the things you DO want to happen, not the things you don’t want. You see, the subconscious mind cannot do ‘negative’ thinking like we can. It can’t tell whether we’re thinking about something because we don’t want it or thinking about it because we do, and it always acts as if we do and tries to make it happen for us.

“i have got to do because there is someone extremely special to me that i have got to meet”

Could you use that as motivation? Motivation is like a magnet and draws us towards our goals and dreams. Think about that meeting with your special friend and make those thoughts as big and bright and compelling as you possibly can. Then see if you can make them even bigger and even brighter and even more compelling. Keep those thoughts and images in your mind all the time and you’ll soon find yourself stepping off the train at the other end and meeting your friend.

Good luck :)
Nigel

bighomer13
08-10-10, 18:23
hi many thanks for all of your thoughts and comments about this.

its via train for about 1h 30. then walking for about 15 mins then another train for 15 mins of so.

basically its from wakefield going to hall green in birmingham.

i just know it is something that i have got to do and i cannot let this person down as all of there life they have been let down way too much and i am determind not to let her down. I HAVE GOT TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Ambers
08-10-10, 19:03
This is how I did smal journeys but some of it may help you?

Firstly I sat next or near to people who looked friendly - such as an elderly couple. My fear is based on 'no one to help me' if something goes wrong. Although I didn't speak to them, the odd smile made me feel calmer.

Somehow the middle of the journey is always worse for me...not sure why? However I decided that I was going to panic therefore I was ready to ride it out...rather than try to block it or stop it, try accepting it for this journey...think, yep Iim gonna panic - so what! I have these lovely people around me that will help if I need them... (ok they may be manic like us :D)

I spoke to my husband on my mobile when it got so bad that I nearly got off the train half-way-through... he made me laugh and that helped although I have to say I was shaking like a leaf and on my knees in a packed train - but hey, this is me - this is my panic (nearly shouted it out at one point).

Is there someone you can speak to on your mobile? Ask them to make you laugh - even if you think you cant - laugh at your own panic - this is silly - this really helped me.

Do you have a laptop to take - you could always sign on here and use the chat facility? I am at work on a Monday/Tuesday but any other day I would be happy to chat away till you get to your destination.

I also took a walk through all of the carriages to find a seat I favoured when it got bad - also to find more happy faces. It helped that I moved as often my legs would turn to jelly and go numb... I hate the numb feeling most.

Lots of good advice on here - esp the mints for travel sickness - I also find 'indigestion chews' really good too as for me once I 'burped' ,y sickness feels a wee bit better.

I know that these ideas are not cures for panic on trains but when your facing one big journey I hope they may help a tiny bit.

Good luck, let us know how you get on...and remember your not alone - whilst your panicking on the train there is also another loon nearby doing the same (me) :wacko:

boppers
08-10-10, 21:46
Can you read on trains or does that make you sick too? I find reading to be a great comfort but obviously if it makes you feel more ill that won't work.

Like Ambers, I like to sit by people who look friendly. I always worry that something bad will happen to me and it can be reassuring to think "that man will help me if the worst happens, I'm not alone here."

It might also help to focus on getting to see your friend and how happy they will be that you have come to visit.