PDA

View Full Version : Quitting smoking

MidnightCalm
09-10-10, 16:45
Is it really worth it?
I know you're probably all going to jump in and say how it is, how it is really bad for you and cigarettes contain a wide range of horrible chemicals that affect the body in negative ways but the thing I'm worried about is the stress that might rise if I decide to stop.
I'm really using smoking as a form of stress management at the moment, within the past two weeks I've almost doubled my cigarette intake, I've found myself really stressed and anxious lately and having a cigarette is the only thing that makes me sit down long enough to think a little, try and rationalise and then try and calm myself.
I think I'm becoming TOO reliant on cigarettes to get me through my day, at 21 it's probably a good idea to quit while I'm ahead right?
I don't find it hard to quit, in actual fact I find it really easy, my friends are always commenting on how I can "just stop" and then not touch another cigarette for a fortnight until I decide I'll just have one as a treat and wonder why I even bothered quitting in the first place.
If I'm in a bad place and I've got a few stressful things coming up over the coming weeks would it be a good idea to carry on or to quit?
Does smoking increase anxiety in the end?
Anybody quit and found themselves better off for it?
Whenever I've quit I've never noticed even the slightest bit of health improvement and it just makes me think WHY BOTHER!?

Hazel B
09-10-10, 17:09
Hi, I stopped when my health anxiety started as I felt a hypocrite to worry about illness and then keep smoking. I stopped cold turkey after 20 years, no gum or patches - all they do is cost the same and continue to feed the nicotine addiction. I think nicotune is a stimulant so it makes anxiety worse.
I did enjoy smoking but it's the best thing I've done for my health.

MidnightCalm
09-10-10, 18:23
I'm considering it, I think I'll set a date, don't see how I'll get through the week if I cut down (with the heightened anxiety which'll be inevitable if I cut down or quit, I think anyway).

Hazel B
09-10-10, 19:11
It's your choice, I would not tell you what to do, best wishes if you do decide to stop.

Dahlia
09-10-10, 19:48
I smoke and I want to give up. It is a fallacy that smoking calms you down - nicotine is a stimulant and actually makes your heart beat faster - essentially it can mimic the symptoms of anxiety and panic. I'm hoping to give up in the next few weeks, but keep putting it off.

sammi
09-10-10, 20:58
Aw I want to stop too but don't have the willpower:( good luck if you decide to quit x

ozjeff
10-10-10, 23:06
mate,
the reason you dont notice any big improvement is twofold,
1/ your only young, so your body has less to recover from.
2/ you need to put some serious time ( 6 months) in after quitting so your body can readjust.
please do it while you can, just because you cant feel the effects yet doesnt mean you wont.
im using champix at the mo, its good, but im finding the same problem, just need to exersise some patience i guess

trooper
11-10-10, 00:48
I read the alan carr book, it took three times, but the third time I stopped and after two weeks I stopped feeling anxious about it and have not smoked since Feb 2008!!

weeble40
11-10-10, 01:35
im one week into not smoking, arghhhhhhhhh,

not finding it easy but im coping

Emms xx