PDA

View Full Version : Pain in one breast only...any ideas??

debs71
09-10-10, 17:51
Hello kind people,

For the past few days I have been experiencing pain in my right breast only.

It is very odd as it definitely is not the kind of pain you get premenstrually, but limited to one area of my breast only.

The worst pain I have is when I turn over during the night onto my side and I get a shockwave/spasm of burning pain through to the nipple. Also, if I sit up/or down quickly I get the same momentary spasm of pain. The weird thing is, if I press my breast like you would to check for lumps it doesn't hurt, but if I push the breast inwards and press on the inside area of it I get the spasm of pain again!!

I've always had premenstrual pains, but this is something different. I'm not freaking out about it as being sinister, and have an appt on Monday with my GP, but just wondered if anyone had something similar? I thought about a cyst, but I don't feel any lumps.

Thanks, Debs.xx:winks:

debs71
09-10-10, 20:46
OK....I'll take that as a no then.....:whistles:

paula lynne
09-10-10, 22:38
Hiya x
I wonder if youve slept funny, or maybe pulled the attatched muscles and ligaments stretching or doing something like that? x glad you see gp soon though. x:)

nomorepanic
09-10-10, 23:25
No idea on this one Debs - sorry

PoppyC
09-10-10, 23:28
Hi
Maybe it could be a cyst? Have you hurt yourself there?
I get a lot of lumps and bumps but it is hormonal...could it be hormonal as in mid cycle?
I found the following online:
Noncyclic pain is most common in women 30 to 50 years of age. It may occur in only one breast. It is often described as a sharp, burning pain that occurs in one area of a breast. Occasionally, noncyclic pain may be caused by a fibroadenoma (http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/fibroadenoma) or a cyst (http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/benign-breast-cysts). If the cause of noncyclic pain can be identified, treating the cause may relieve the pain.

I am sure everything will be ok and that your gp will put your mind at rest. He will be the only one to tell you what it is exactly.
Try not to worry.

suzy-sue
09-10-10, 23:43
I get breast pain in my left side .Never in my right .The consultant told me it was down to hormones and was told to take Evening primrose oil 3xaday and ibrofen .Ive also pulled muscles doing things and your pain does sound very similar to that .The breast as you know is mainly muscle .Hope your Dr can be of help Debs ..t/c Sue x:hugs:

xfilme
14-10-10, 14:18
could be mastitis. ive had it for years. it can affect just one side and is just a minor infection in your milk ducts that comes and goes as it chooses. its the reason i cant lay on my stomach. wearing a well supported bra often helps if this is the case... and keeping them boobies warm :P x

debs71
14-10-10, 14:43
... and keeping them boobies warm :P x

That just REALLY made me laugh xfilme! :D

Sorry for not replying sooner everybody, I lost track of my post for some reason. Well, I had to cancel my appt as I had an anxiety attack but have rebooked for 3.40pm today. I'm taking my Mum along for moral support as felt a bit nervous going alone.

Thanks so much for your kind replies. I was in half a mind of going as I didn't want to waste anyones time if it was just a hormonal thing, but the pain is quite intense even though I've been wearing a sports bra at night for support and taking ibruprofen so thought it wouldn't hurt just to get the lowdown. Poppy - my Mum has had numerous cysts drained from her left breast over the years so you may have a good point there. My suspicion though is - like you all have so kindly advised - that it's the flaming hormones again. (oh the joys of womanhood,lol)

Thank you all so much again. I am so grateful for the support I get from this great website.xxxx:hugs:

debs71
14-10-10, 16:05
Hi again,

Just back from the GP. Bit gutted as the breast I have been having pain in was ok, but she found a pea sized lump in my left breast. She has referred me for an urgent mammogram.

Bit upset about it as I didn't expect something in the breast that has been ok, and I haven't long sorted out the problem of the ovarian cysts I had. she said just get on with things, don't worry and let's see what it says, but I can't help but worry a bit guys.:weep:

As I said before, the area she found the lump is the same area my Mum had cysts so here's hoping.....xxx

KK77
14-10-10, 16:33
Sorry to hear that Debs. Of course it's natural to be a little apprehensive but it will probably just turn out to be a cyst. It's always good to err on the side of caution and get these things thoroughly checked out.

I wish you all the best - I'm sure it's nothing serious.

debs71
14-10-10, 16:55
Thanks Melancholia.....xxxx:hugs:

suzy-sue
14-10-10, 22:42
I can understand your worried Debs but breast cancer isnt meant to be painful and cysts often are .I have had 2 Both were painful and on the same breast ,Both were fluid filled and were drained . At least you will get it sorted quick if the Dr had put urgent .All the Best hun :hugs:luv Sue x

debs71
14-10-10, 22:49
Thanks Sue.....yeh, I'm not freaking out it was just a bit of a surprise when she said it was in the breast I wasn't having much problem with. Like you say, at least it'll be an early mammogram which I'm grateful for! My problem is I worry too much, silly mare!

Thanks all.xxxx:)

Vixxy
15-10-10, 11:03
Aww what bad luck! But at least the pain in the other breast has got you an early test on something you might have missed on the other one. Life is weird some times!
When are you booked in for the mammogram?

debs71
15-10-10, 12:19
Hi Vixxy!

Yeh it is weird isn't it, and you are dead right. Had I not gone about the painful breast then I would not have known about the lump in the other, so every cloud has a silver lining!

Well she has referred me for an urgent mammogram and apparently these are 2 week referrals they can now make for quick appointments so hopefully it won't be long now!

I hope so as I rebooked my holiday for November 5th after cancelling it in September due to my anxiety/panic and I am all mentally set to go this time. I'm not expecting any results before I go but it would be nice to get the mammogram done and dusted!

Hope you are ok hun.xx:)

paula lynne
15-10-10, 12:24
All the best to you Debs..thinking of you. Im sure youll be ok xxxxxxxx:hugs:

pammy1944
15-10-10, 12:47
as its affected by movement i would reckon its a trapped nerve

Hazel B
15-10-10, 12:49
Debs, hope it goes well and glad to see you're being looked after. I'm sure it's nothing serious, am thinking of you. x

debs71
15-10-10, 12:54
Thanks Paula.....hope all ok with you hun.xx:)

Hi pammy....thanks for your reply. I thought at first it could be something like that or muscular, with the right breast pain. It certainly does feel like it is in the breast tissue though as it hurts when I palpate it, but I guess I will have more clarity after the mammogram (I hope, lol!)

Thanks again everybody for your help.xxx

debs71
15-10-10, 12:54
Thanks Hazel.....I hope you are ok too.xxxxxx:)

Hazel B
15-10-10, 14:08
I'm having more "better days" now, thanks. I'm finally on the waiting list to have my gallbladder removed after 6 months of tests, I just want it out! I'm not anxious about the op, it was more the unkown that scared me witless! Still taking Propranolol but have cut down.

I totally understand the worry of medical tests, I'm sure it will be fine. x

Vixxy
15-10-10, 14:13
I do hope it doesn't postpone your holiday! Lets hope they get the appointment in nice and early and a good result too :)

debs71
15-10-10, 14:22
I really feel for you Hazel....so glad that things are at least moving in the right direction for you.xx

Thanks Vixxy.....I'm keeping everything crossed!!xx

Vixxy
15-10-10, 15:26
I'll keep everything crossed for you too!
Have you tried placing a warm flannel on your painful breast? It might help to soothe it.

debs71
15-10-10, 17:58
Yes Vixxy, I've been putting a heat pad on at night which is really helpful as the most pain I have with it is when I turn over on my side during the night. x

joannap
16-10-10, 12:34
my mum had breast pain like you describe several times - there was never a cause found so yes - muscle spasm/hormones etc could be the culprit. she could not even wear a seat belt when the pain was there - it made her feel sick.

try not to worry about the lump - odds are it is harmless xx

debs71
16-10-10, 12:50
Thanks a lot joannap....x