PDA

View Full Version : Other people have panic attacks too ?!

melaniebrightmore
03-03-04, 20:03
I thought I was on my own. I've been suffering panic attacks for around 10 years now and they have gotten progressively worse. I struggle with breathing and find myself constantly struggling for breath. Recently I've been having a strange sensation of swallowing my tongue which really stresses me out as I feel like I'm going to choke and can't swallow. I've also started to get dizzy spells and feel like I'm going to faint. These attacks never seem to go away and I always seem to be panicking about something. Am I becoming agorophobic ? I'm scared to return to places where I've had an attack which worries me as I've had some attacks at work. Any ideas as to what I can do ? I no longer drive on the motorway because I panic that I can't get off and don't want an attack to cause an accident. Logically I know I'm being fatalistic and should try to get a grip but the panic just seems to take over. I think I'm probably more worried about what other people think and what I look like when I'm panicking. Other people just cope and can't understand some of the seemingly small things that panic me. I'm just glad that I'm not alone as the Doctor seems to suggest. He just thinks Im an over exaggerating weirdo as opposed to an educated person with a legitimate problem !

bluebird1
03-03-04, 21:29
hi melanie,
NO you are definately not on your own in fact this site is getting bigger by the day, and you are NOT a weirdo, there are people of all ages and lots of different walks of life here.......but we are all friendly. have you tried the chatroom? if not come in and meet us. to answer the question and Im sure the others will back me up here theres no reason why you will become agoraphobic when you feel anxious in a particular place. try to remember that you are just anxious... dont associate it with the place you are in, its harmless honest lol, and keep doing the things you are nervous about just practice being calm, stay where you are, and the panic will pass keep doing it and you will feel better. dont think of it as "a panic attack", its just a silly old adrenalin rush, anyway nice talking to you
lyn :):):)

Rennie1989
03-03-04, 21:39
melanie

i suffer the exact same as you but not for that long. iv got agrophobia and scolionophobia(fear of school)

although i hadnt been suffering as long as you, you can ask me anything, honest

jade

nomorepanic
03-03-04, 22:04
Hi Melanie

Welcome to the site. You are most definitely not alone here trust me!

My biggest problem is panicky/anxious when driving but I am getting close to conquering it after 10 years of sufferring like you.

There is no magical cure I am afraid - it just takes hard work and perseverance and sheer determination to succeed.

You need to keep doing things till they feel "normal" - and then do them again and again.

Let us know if you need answers to any questions?

Nicola

stephen
03-03-04, 22:30
Hi,Melanie and welcome to the site.Like nicola says (wonderful woman that she is !)you are certainly not alone!!!!!!! I was diagnosed with "PA,S" about a year ago.I was absolutely terrified at the time as i had no idea what was happening to me! Since then my G.P.(and here, i,m really lucky, because my g.p,whos female,by the way has been fantastic!)Anyway like i say she has been great in getting me to analyse my background and understand why i am where i am as well as who i am!I wont bore you with the details!lol!Beyond that this site has been so helpful to me. More help than i can ever explain here.There are some really lovely kind folk on this site(but thats enough about me ,lol).the people here really do understand and really do care about each other,Melanie.So,welcome,again and i,m sure you will find the site as helpful to you as i,ve found it to me .see you in the chatroom sometime,hopefully.take care Love ,steve xx

nomorepanic
03-03-04, 23:18
Oh Steve - you sweetheart you! [:p]

We are all a caring bunch here and we offer support and advice to everyone [8D]

Nicola

Meg
03-03-04, 23:37
Dear Melanie

As you may already know both the dizziness and shortness of breath are both to do with hyperventilation.

The dizziness due to an o2 /co2 imbalance and the SOB cos your lungs really get bigger with adrenalin so takes more air to fill them thus the 'feeling' of not getting enough as you're needing more than usual. So its fine .

The tongue and tightness in throat - also very common. Cold water with squirt of rescue remedy in it and sip liberally helps.

You do become agoraphobic when you're actually avoiding things nad setting yourself limitations ir motorways .

You probably look the same when panicing as when not apart from an odd bead of sweat ...

WElcome - have a good hunt about using the search facility for any key words and on the pages on the main site

Catch you again soon

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

twister
04-03-04, 23:57
Hi Melanie

I can totally relate to the swallowing tongue thing. When I get really panicky, i cant swallow and feel like I am swallowing my tongue. But I'm not and I'm, sure you're not either! It's just something I accept happens now and because of that it happens less and less. I dont think anyones ever swallowed their tongue whilst conscious so try not to worry too much

Emily

marty
15-03-04, 23:13
Hi i too suffer panic attacks and would not have the guts too drive,as i may well cause an accident if i had it bad i would be very careful and definately try too avoid the motorway,i ride a mountain bike and had an accident due too my attacks rushed accross a road when panicing and got hit by a car luckily i wasnt injured just my bike a mess be careful.

nomorepanic
16-03-04, 15:16
Marty

I don't know of anyone on here that has caused an accident whilst driving and panicking. I have been suffering for 10 years and I still drive when panicking. You can always know when the panic is coming so you can pull over and stop for a rest.

Sorry to hear that you got hit by a car but that was an accident because you were panicking. Has it stopped you going back on the bike again?

Nicola

electroflux
16-03-04, 16:21
Hi Melanie,

You are not alone. I have suffered panic attacks for well over 10 years now. It has got better for me. I have learned to cope. I am still anxious but I have found changing my attitude and the way I think helps. I have slowed down. I have made some changes in my life style and things are a lot better for me now. It will get better for you. Check out the remedies on this wonderful site( thanks Nic). Something here will help you.

Best wishes

Ken

nomorepanic
16-03-04, 16:31
Hi Ken

Good to hear from you again. Hope you are well and still with the new lady-friend [:I]

Nicola

electroflux
18-03-04, 17:40
Hi Nicola,

Yes I am still with my new lady friend and I am very well! Its amazing what a positive life change can do for you. I still have my other avenues and activities to support me just in case things go bad, but I live in hope that this new relationship will be for life. I just live for today these days and today I am extremely happy!

Ken

kate
18-03-04, 19:18
Hiya Ken,

Glad to hear that you are feeling so well and happy these days!

Kate x

nomorepanic
18-03-04, 19:42
Ken

That is great to hear - you deserved some happiness.

I hope it all works out well for you from now on.

xx

Nicola

electroflux
19-03-04, 19:24
Hi Kate r and Nicola,

Thanks for the best wishes.

It just goes to show that life has away of turning around and if you know what you want and you are determined to get it then positive good things will happen in your life. I have found happiness. Long may it last!

xx

Ken

nomorepanic
20-03-04, 20:18
Ken

Positivity definintely helps yeah!

Let's hope you have beaten off the panic now then.

Keep in touch won't you?

x

Nicola