PDA

View Full Version : Surviving a Panic Attack

Robertc160882
08-03-06, 15:27
Hi found this and i was wondering if it may be of use to anyone?

Surviving a Panic Attack
Practical Strategies to Regain Control
Anticipatory Anxiety
by Patricia Blecich

If you or a loved one are among the millions of people who have experienced a panic attack, you know that the experience is uncomfortable, if not downright terrifying. And for the many people who experience daily panic attacks, regaining control of the mind and body becomes a struggle so difficult that their daily lives are fractured. If you are of the people who experience paralyzing panic attacks, you may not be able to work, enjoy social outings, or even go out of the house to shop for groceries or drive for fear that a panic attack may take hold. This is the first part of a series of informative articles designed to help you learn about and cope with anxiety and panic, be it for yourself or someone else.

Anticipatory Anxiety
The fear of having a panic attack is called anticipatory anxiety. Anticipatory anxiety can be even more disabling than a panic attack itself. While an actual panic attack may only last a few minutes, anticipating when the next ‘attack’ may be a constant state of mind. It can last for long periods of time, and may result in a chronic state of anxiety.

Anticipatory anxiety may impair your relationships with others, since you are often preoccupied with the thought of panic. You may be so distracted by your fear of having another panic attack that you may not be able to focus on your family, your friends or your children. Your ability to concentrate is also affected, which may prevent you from working to your full potential, or enjoying favorite activities.

Your body may be habitually tense, waiting for the ‘next one’. This is also a disabling effect, since having a tense body may actually lead to health problems such as hyperventilation, chest pain and muscle spasm. Take a moment to think about when you, or even a pet or animal is scared. For example, when a small animal is scared, he often ‘freezes’ holding in his breath and becoming motionless. This would be a natural reaction to an immediate threat, such as a nearby predator. But if the animal were to remain in a motionless, tense position after the threat of danger has passed, he may develop problems such as stiff joints or lack of oxygen to the brain (leading to dizziness). Likewise, if you are in a constant state of ‘threat patrol’, or what is called hypervigilance, your body will begin to feel the effects!

So how do you control the state of anticipatory anxiety? First and foremost, you should understand that while the state of anxiety and panic can be natural, as in fight or flight response, anticipatory anxiety is a completely useless and often damaging state of mind. Some people may actually enjoy the feelings associated with anticipatory anxiety, such as thrill seeking roller coaster riders or skydivers. However, these people are able to shed the anxiety once the task or event has passed. How do they do that? To stop anxiety or panic, the body engages the parasympathetic nervous system. This is the body system that shuts down the responses to danger. It releases chemicals that induce the muscles to relax, the lungs to take deeper breaths and the heart to slow down. People with panic and anxiety must often kick start their own parasympathetic responses. Ways to do this include:

Deep, I mean DEEP breathing. The kind of breathing that raises your chest skyward. Remember to exhale as deeply, deflating your chest completely
Consciously relax your muscles, starting with the head. You may notice your forehead is furrowed, or your hands are clenched. Take a moment to identify the body parts that are physically tense. Then simply let that body part ‘go’. Let go of any control you have over it. Your face may droop and your shoulders may sag, but you will begin to relax.
Eat or drink something! When in danger, animals’ digestive systems often shut down, so more energy can be spent on fleeing or planning escape. If you eat or drink something small,

Ma Larkin
08-03-06, 15:34
That's brilliant Robert. I've told Vernon to read it because he's suffering at the moment, with the muscle aching jointy thing (the bit which talks about animals freezing!!) Certainly eases your mind, hope it eases Vernon's.

Les

Robertc160882
08-03-06, 15:37
Thanks Les,

I hope it does help people thats why i put it on here i haven't even had a read myself yet this cold has made me lazy he he.

Robert

Ma Larkin
08-03-06, 15:39
I don't even need a cold to make me lazy!!

Les

Quirky
08-03-06, 15:56
Thanks for that.

I see a breathing therapist and just wanted to add that your chest should not go skywards, your chest should not move at all, if your chest moves you may be hyperventilating. it is your stomach and diaphram area that should rise when you breathe deeply and properly, the chest should stay fairly still.

Lisa

sal
08-03-06, 23:04
Thanks for that Robert

How true it reads is great and i am sure lots of people will appreciate that.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".